IGNORED

Addons, i.e. regen, reclock, isolate - are they needed?

On 7/3/2018 at 7:19 PM, creativepart said:

I listen to vinyl about 50% of the time and digital from my computer (iMac 27") 50% of the time. For something like 8 years I've used a Benchmark Dac1 USB for all my digital listening. Probably 10 years ago I took all my CDs and using iTunes made ALAC copies of them - 720 in all. I've stored the CDs in the attic and listen to them from the computer. I use Audirvana Pro for my software.

I like Tidal, especially Masters with MQA (don't start please). Recently, to try something new I bought a Meridian Explorer2 and then replaced that with the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Dac. I like the Pre Box better than the Exp2 but I'm not sure yet about it being as good or better than the Benchmark.

So, I'm reading up on everything and contemplating a new Dac to be my main digital source. But confusing the situation I see LOTs of folks and lots of reviewers say how necessary it is to get one or two or even three addons to improve the USB signal from the computer. Then I see measurements and reports and reviews saying just the opposite. And, it's true that I've seen my share of addons that are worthless in my 50+ years of audio experience ( I built my first stereo system in 1962, literally, built it from Olsen Electronics parts).

Before going for a whole new dac I was thinking of one of the addons - like iFi Micro or similar. Or maybe go with the whole SoTM 200 kind of network device. Are these addons a must to consider before even thinking of a new dac... or is it just a fad if you've got a good dac in the first place?

PS. I'm not sure if I'd ever get rid of the Benchmark. It seems like one of those statement pieces you hang on to for a long time. But I may add another ~$2000 dac. Sometimes I wish I still had my Ack! Dac!. Anyway, I'm digressing.

DAC's are strange beasts... they sound different but when well made  your money is better spent improving what feeds the DAC. Given  the rapid improvement in USB tech over the last 5 years, a Schiit Eitr DDC at $179 sounds like "no brainer" for least cost to improve the Benchmark, assuming you have a quality coax cable.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

I get that, but how deep do you want to go?

How do you know any measurements you've done with your iFi DACs correlate with something audible?

Do you actually enjoy listening to music? Or just reading great Benchmark specifications?

Genuine question - I'm not asking in a rude manner. And obviously nothing against the great gear iFi and Benchmark make either.

You might be like the auto design engineer I knew that was a gun at his job but never had driven a car in his life and had no interest in it. Nothing wrong with that btw.

Bravo, well said. Credence belongs with those whose advice/solutions improve your success and enjoyment of the hobby. @Superdad    @austinpop   @vortecjr   I salute you for your contributions   to CA  

Regards,

Dave

Audio system