IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

5 minutes ago, wushuliu said:

Excellent. Thanks!

Re: LT3045, it's worth using two in series for improved performance.

There would be too much voltage drop down between the microRendu and LPS-1. Pretty happy now, I think some more burn in needed. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Wiring brown pair to orange pair for +ve and green pair and blue pair for -ve. I tried all solids and all whites but didn’t sound as good imo. 

So you’re saying that all of the foil from all of the pairs should be twisted together for the JSSG and not just the outer web? 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

That's what I thought. Is it enough to to just twist vs solder? 

31 minutes ago, logicsound said:

31 minutes ago, logicsound said:

I just spoke with my attorney - it seems that CA and CC could be held accountable for allowing this kind of slander, malicious personal attacks, and now concealed threats of violence.

Not what Audio should be about...thread bullies who act like they run the place.

Disgusting

You have got to be kidding. This is the internet. I guess lawyers would love doing that though  - would keep them in business forever. Hard to bring a case against anonymous people though who have hurt somebody's wittle feelings on a HiFi forum. 

That said, we were having a pretty nice thread throwing ideas back and forth when this member had to go all pedantic and "audiosplaining" on us and pretty much insinuate that we had no idea what we were doing and would now have to wait for the experts to chime in. Looking to take the wind out of our sails if you ask me. I took him to task, told him to maybe try and have a bit more fun with it  - which is a sentiment I think should be on the site masthead. 

1 minute ago, logicsound said:

Legal maven, haven't you noticed the plethora of privacy notices from all kinds of websites..so far absent from CA...about privacy notices?  Huh?????? You think that was coincidental?

You know, you could just go somewhere else where they have your coveted EULA.

Now, any other reports on Supra 8 as DC cable? 

17 minutes ago, Hauser said:

Not so sure about the fun part.  Just had a look at the spec: outer diameter 8.8mm covering many layers of conductive material.  Did you have any problems connecting to the Oyaide plugs?

Martin.

Which cable are you asking about? 

Well, it should probably be incorporated into the DIY DC cable thread. 

I did get an uptick in performance with the LPS-1 with the addition of the newer grounded Uptone SMPS vs the HDPLEX I was charging with before (with a ground shunt). I think you’re right about impedance of the cable gauge - perhaps the Canare Starquad is just too thick of gauge, or the twist isn’’t right, or not enough shielding. The shielding on the Supra is much better than either of the inexpensive CAT7’s I opened up. 

I’d be wary of talk of supplanting the excellent LPS-1 or 1.2. Keep in mind we are in the Uptone sponsored forum, and should be very thankful for all they’ve done. Might be best to start a new thread on another sub-forum for talk of other power supply comparisons. 

Now to order a short length of Gotham and give that a try.... added some Herbie’s dbNeutralizer pads under my speaker spike cones this morning and another small jump in sq with tighter bass esp  and less room, gear cabinet vibrations all around (discs were originally $12 for 8 off ebay, and dB pads $27 with sticky side, so another inexpensive tweak). OT I know, but goes to show every bit helps, and one doesn’t have to break the bank with super expensive cabling or things like Stillpoints. 

2 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Jeez, ... just read back thru these 2 posters - a major role-play flip, schizophrenia-scripting ...

Wow, just wow. Like I said, would love to have met up with this Rob dude as he’s in the same home town, but man, life’s too short....

My SupraFranken with the LT3054 sandwich is really starting to come “on song” at about 72 hours plus in. Adjectives like “spooky” starting to be used. Amazing how just one cable can bring a whole system into focus. No plans to change anything for the foreseeable future, though will be reading with interest what others discover. For now, I can’t believe I’m getting the level of playback I am for so little outlay. Good times...

11 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Imagine if you added any of these LT3045s to your SupraFranken. I can guarantee that you will be thrilled! ?

https://www.mpaudio.net/

What guarantee? I will buy it from you if it does’nt improve your current SupraFranken (I will always have need for another one)! ?

Ha! Just not sure if one of these could be used between an LPS-1 and microRendu considering the voltage drop down. If I moved up to an LPS-1.2 I suppose. Just feel the need to not spend any more $ at the moment and enjoy what I have. Down the road perhaps....

I guess I just don’t understand the numbers. The LPS-1 output is 7v and the microRendu lowest end is 6V. Won’t there be more than a 1v drop on one of these? 

Ok, now I get it.Thanks for that! Yes, seriously considering.... might wait until I get paid for a couple of projects first. But it does seem like a good deal....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, where did you find this cable unterminated? I'll email the Supra distributer up the street to see if he can get some in, but wondering how much it costs per meter? 

Yeah, I know, same vendor. He dropped it off on my porch two hours after ordering it. We're about a 15-20 minute walk from each other. 

In no hurry at the moment. Maybe next month LS-HPLU. Just curious what the price is. He owes me anyway for all those Cat8 orders! ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I redid my SupraFranken cable this morning. Per Cornan's experiments, the -ve legs (either side of an LT3054) are now made up of some 75ohm coaxial cable I had laying around (direct Tv branded), and the +ve legs Supra CAT8, with all eight wires twisted together, and the outer shields all twisted together. I managed to solder on the Oyaide plugs by leaving off the screw downs and using liberal amounts of electrical tape to make sure there are no shorts or exposed wires. It's not a pretty cable, but sounds pretty dang good. I can hear the bass moving air on some recordings for the first time, and great separation of players. A slight increase in perceived sibilance, but I'm assuming some of that will disappear with burn in, and it may just be more transparency into the recording. I can tell the noise floor lowered as I can turn it all up a few more notches. I think I'm done monkeying with cables for awhile, but pleased with this quick upgrade using cable I already have. Thanks Cornan! 

We'll, there are literally thousands if not millions of permutations possible, between brand of cable, type, whether it's the live or neutral, etc etc. Of course I could probably spend a lot more, but I'm kind of down with the sound improving with the free cable left over from the old cable install. 

So curiosity got the better of me, and per Cornan's latest findings, here's my new Franken cable, minus any Supra! Some solid core 75 ohm digital cable left by the Direct TV installer, for -ve, and some 24 awg solid silver wire for the +ve (Vanguard, eBay). No JSSG. Both what I had on hand - one might do better with pricier wire but who knows. . 

Pretty much sounds like Cornan describes. I will note I tried first with screw barrel connectors, and every time I get a more dynamic and slightly less veiled sound with the soldered Oyaides. It's subtle, but something to think about. I'm loving the bass slam with this combo, and the high end seems sweeter with the simple single strand of unshielded silver (less wincing moments for this tinnitus sufferer).

What a journey. Last one Cornan! I will say that one can't go wrong with Supra Cat8 and beyond, though it looks as if actual separation of the wires is the key. The twist in Cat7/8 must be doing something similar, though actual physical separation is better. 

cable.jpg

Just now, Cornan said:

Last time you’ll change? Promise? ?

You first! 

14 minutes ago, tims said:

Going back to the original POE dc cable that started this topic,, what are the common traits between your 'Franken' cable and the POE design - only the thin silver 24 awg wire as far as I can see? 

Is this the critical factor as to why this design works so well?

Actually none! The silver wire was used for a JSSG before - here I'm using it for the positive live wire. All I have to go by is my ears really, and the sound quality has just kept pushing forward. 

17 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Incidentally, for a more tonally balanced sound, the LT3045s should be preceded by much larger capacitance values, such as normally used immediately after the rectifier diodes of the PSU. It is not designed to be used in isolation, but as part of the overall system.

Without the much higher capacitance values effectively across it's D.C. Input, you may lose some natural mid range warmth.

If you were using a low noise battery directly, or close to it's input , that would be a different matter.

Regards

Alex

What would you recommend cap wise for the input? I would say it is slightly lacking on the mid-range. Couldn't really put my finger on it until now. 

Cornan,

What type and gauge of wire are you using? My Kemet’s don’t get here until next week - really looking forward to trying them. Last night I shortened the incoming portion to the 3045 of my cable by half. Even more bass! But I know I can do better with the type of wire. 

Best,

CP