IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

As far as I can tell there are two possible things going on with this configuration:

1) sort of star quad

2) transformers in the path

#1:  these PoE adapters inject DC into the the center tap of Ethernet transceivers, the result is an almost star quad arrangement of the wires inside the Ethernet cable. The result of this is much lower inductance than a usual DC cable. See the DIY DC cable thread for details on using star quad cables for DC power.

The description specifically states this works for CAT7, which has shielding, has someone tried this with a same length CAT6 and found it only works for CAT7?  I'm not sure what these adapters DO with the shield connections, can someone do a continuity check of the setup above and see if the cable shield connect to the DC negative on the DC connectors?

#2 the DC power is going through the Ethernet transformers, this may offer some high frequency filtering, but it may also increase impedance, it is hard to tell without actually measuring.

I would like if a couple people that are already using a star quad cable DC cable could compare that with this configuration.

Thanks,

John S.

3 hours ago, sligolad said:

Thanks for the thoughts John.

Could be this particular implementation of Star Quad and wire gauge alright so would also be interested to hear feedback from someone with a good home made star quad compared to the plug and play option presented here.

The passive POE setup has no transformers involved so the 2 pairs in the network cable go direct to the positive and negative on the DC ends.

Works with all network cables i tried from CAT5 up but benefits improve as you go higher, CAT7 was best but someone suggests after tests that CAT8 (hard to find a cheap 1 metre) is even better so I have one on order.

There is no continuity on any of the cables i have between the shielding and the DC negative on the POE ends.

The only way to do a passive POE without transformers is two pairs for data and two pairs for power, thus limiting the Ethernet part to 100Mb. I know you are not using the Ethernet part, but is it rated at only up to 100Mb?

If there really are no transformers involved then this really is just getting something similar to star quad cable.

On the cable front, some cables use 24AWG and some use 23AWG wires. It MAY be that the 23AWG ones sound better. The higher CAT numbers have tighter tolerances on the wire geometry, I'm not sure this could have anything to do with a DC cable though.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Wiring brown pair to orange pair for +ve and green pair and blue pair for -ve. I tried all solids and all whites but didn’t sound as good imo. 

So you’re saying that all of the foil from all of the pairs should be twisted together for the JSSG and not just the outer web? 

No, the outer web IS the way to solder to the shield, that's what it is there for. The foil is aluminum which is VERY difficult to solder so they add the outer wires made out of stuff that IS easy to solder to. The web and the foil is in contact all the way along the length of the cable. So you just need to solder to the web when connecting to the shield.

John S.

On 5/29/2018 at 7:42 PM, lmitche said:

Over the weekend, I sent a length of the Gotham cable, a pair of POE adapters and a 1 meter Ibra cable to John Swenson.

I look forward to John's analysis.

Larry

It's going to be awhile before I can work on this. I have a whole bunch of high priority tasks right now and my wife has said I have to cut down on the number of tasks at the same time, I have been so stressed out over things my health is starting to suffer and I'm making bad decisions.

So until some of the other stuff gets finished I won't be able to add anything new to the task list. I'm still doing the little PC board for the Philmore adapter (that is going out tomorrow) which will make putting together test cables a lot easier, but that is about it right now.

John S.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Can someone, perhaps John, please explain again the working theories behind JSSG and JSGT.

I have been reading quite a lot (dangerous in itself) about generation and shielding of EMI and RFI and it seems like JSSG might be acting like a quasi Faraday cage.  The difference I see is that a Faraday cage, IIUC, is always grounded.  Rather than a wire or another shield (with insulating layer) attached to both ends of the first layer of post added shielding, would it not be better to attach that wire to a ground?

Here is the post where I covered shielding:

It IS like a Faraday cage, that is the whole idea, making a cable behave like a Faraday cage. Read the details in the post.

The other is a way to shunt high impedance leakage (note NOT high FREQUENCY, this leakage  is actually line frequency related) generated by SMPS. In my studies into leakage I found that SMPS generate some very high impedance leakage that is very hard to block, it will go all over the place because the impedance is so high. BUT it is easy to shunt to ground (actually the safety ground in house wiring, EARTH connection not actually necessary). It is a very simple concept, connect the negative output of the SMPS to the safety ground and the high impedance leakage is shunted around your system. I posted some simple adapters to do this with common SMPS . This is a big issue for computer audio since most computer systems, networking equipment etc use SMPS. 

BTW the traditional low impedance leakage is still there on both SMPS and linear supplies, but there are ways to deal with that.

John S.

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

John, so are you saying this Faraday cage is neededon the cable between theLPS1.2 and the ISO Regen? 

A DC cable with a leakage loop running through it (remember leakage loops are low frequency) will radiate the line frequency and harmonics which CAN be picked up by ordinary audio interconnects (the shielding on THEM doesn't stop the low frequency radiation, unless they do the shielding right). I HAVE been able to measure this.

In this case the proper shielding (JSSG) on the DC cable will prevent this from happening.

The LPS-1.2 will stop any leakage loops through its output, so the proper shielding should not be necessary. It MAY slightly change the inductance on the cable which MAY change sound, but that is not an actual shielding effect.

John S.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Are you saying that this is the reason it’s a factor with the LPS1.2 supply, because it has a buck converter? Does the leakage go around the solid state relays/bank switching MOSFETs?

The DC/DC switching converter inside the LPS-1.2 has nothing to do with leakage current. I have exhaustively tested that and it makes no difference.

There is some capacitance in the transistors used to switch banks (bipolars BTW, the ones I use have WAY lower capacitance than any equivalent MOSFETS). The low impedance leakage is blocked completely by these transistors, but some amount of the high impedance leakage from SMPS does get through. This is the reason for connecting the SMPS negative output to safety ground, it shunts the high impedance leakage back to the mains so there is very little entering the LPS-1.2, the transistors can easily handle this. The combination produces no detectable leakage at the output of the LPS-1.2. I can detect about -150dBV, what I see is the noise floor of the system.

The LPS-1.2 comes with an SMPS that already has its negative output connected to the safety ground just for this purpose.

Now if you don't HAVE a safety ground or it is not connected to the neutral of the mains, then the shunt won't be working. Note there is nothing about earthing in this. It is the fact that the safety ground has a low impedance connection to the neutral (or at least it should) which provides a path for the high impedance leakage to get back to the mains rather than going through the audio system.

John S.