IGNORED

HP recommendation for classical listening

On 5/1/2018 at 7:24 AM, Norton said:

I have very  little experience with HPs but have decided to invest in a pair primarily for late night listening in my home system, probably on ear but maybe over ear.  My listening is 95% orchestral classical, I'm used to Klipsch Cornwall speakers and am looking for a similar sounding HP,  which I would describe as an extremely detailed, dynamic, forward and open presentation.  I don't care at all about aesthetics, finish etc providing the HPs are comfortable, reliable and long lived.  I'll be using the s/e HP output of my pre amp which is 75 ohm.    

I'd go up to  £1000 if I had to, but would prefer cheaper.  What would you recommend?  From what I have read so far, the impression I have is that I wouldn't go far wrong with something from the Sennheiser 6** or 8** series.  There is a Klipsch Heritage HP which might be an obvious recommendation in my situation, but seems expensive and has had  mixed reviews. The ESS phones also look interesting, well within budget and with v. high sensitivity in common with my speakers.  Any alternatives I should consider?  In essence what I'm looking for is the best value HP within budget that will deliver the characteristics I'm looking for.  

Thanks

I'm like you, and listen mostly to orchestral classical music. I have been on a quest for the best headphones for classical music for some time. At this point, and this is my personal experience, the only suitable model I'd recommend is the Sennheiser HD800S. I have been to CanJams and had many headphones in my system for extended evaluation. These include the Stax'es (SR007, SR009), the Focals (Utopia, Elear), the Abyss, the various Audeze and MrSpeakers, the various HifiMan's - the lot.

I keep returning to the HD800S - and the reason is simple - soundstage and imaging. It's unparalleled. I don't recommend the HD6xx for classical music. I used to own an HD650 for many years. After you hear the HD800S, you can't go back.

The only headphone that's beat this - for orchestral music - is the $60k Sennheiser HE-1 system. :) I spent some quality time with this at AXPONA, and it is sublime.

As regards the HD-800/800S. Yes, a good quality amp is essential. What do you currently own by way of headphone amplification?

28 minutes ago, Norton said:

Thanks to all for contributions so far.  To start with I'll be going with the HP output of my DNM 3D preamp.  

I admit I know nothing of that preamp, although a quick look at the product page suggests they claim to have invested some effort in their headphone output. I would just start with that, and see how it works out for you.

If you feel the need for a standalone headphone amp, there is a whole world of options out there, but I'd start with what you have first and see where that takes you. 

7 hours ago, Norton said:

The "basic" 800 is just within budget after a bit of discount.  Any thoughts on the 700?  Seems to polarise opinion, with some  recommendations for orchestral.

The basic HD800 is great, if you're willing to do a simple mod on it to tame the peak @buonassi mentioned. I applied the so-called SD mod (Super Dupont). I'll have to look up who I got the mod from - you can search the Super Best Audio Friends forum. The HD800S essentially achieves the same from the factory. I know I'm oversimplifying. Here in the US, you can get open-box, like new HD800S for under $1200 - is it still above 1000 pound in the UK?

As for amp - like I said, start with your DNM amp and see how that sounds. I am a big fan of the Cavalli HP amps, and have the flagship Liquid Gold, which is a beast, but certainly not cheap. But the Massdrop Cavalli CTH would be one to consider for not too much money. 

Regarding the Focal Elear - I know it well. I owned one for almost a year before selling it. My intention was to buy a companion headphone to the HD800 for when I was not listening to classical - i.e. rock, electronic etc. 

The Elear actually has a rather insidious peak in the upper treble that I didn't initially notice, but eventually became quite fatiguing. Don't get me wrong - it is a wonderful headphone, just not good if you're treble sensitive. And certainly not good for classical, as imaging is modest.

In fact, I eventually found the ideal companion to my HD800 for listening to music with higher treble energy - most rock music - to be the Audioquest Nighthawk, which is available dirt cheap right now.

But I digress - for classical, neither is recommended. As for the HD700, I've not heard them, but have not heard any superlatives about them either.

You really should listen before you buy.

Yeah - with the right amp, the HD800 bass response is outstanding. Again, keep in mind that most consumer headphones are “goosed” to artificially boost bass. 

Ah a fellow Cavalli fan! Yes the LC (liquid carbon) is an outstanding amp for the price too, but may be hard to find. That’s why I suggested the Massdrop CTH.

I will be very interested to see what you think of the Focal Elear with classical music. Or indeed any of the Focal’s.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

Only thing to note: The 820 are closed so if you are listening with other people around they may be more convenient. 

Having heard the 820 at CanJam's, I will say that they are great - for closed back. But if you don't need that feature, I'd still recommend the 800S. The 820s do have a slightly fuller bass, but I do feel it loses some of that air and space that makes the 800/800S so special for classical.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

If you get a good price on the HD800, go for it. I’d be extremely surprised should you regret it. 

And if you should you can always sell it. 

@Norton - completely agree.

I am testing some very expensive headphones ($4k and up) for a future review. While they excel in many genres over the HD800, I still find myself reaching for the 800s when I want to listen to a classical album. There really is nothing better.