IGNORED

Weiss DAC2/Minerva Firmware Available

For all of you Weiss DAC2/Minerva owners, Weiss has released a firmware update that includes the bit transparency check.

See Weiss newsletter for more information:

http://www.weiss-highend.ch/newsletter04-10.pdf

For the bit transparency check, there are a number of 16-bit and 24-bit WAV files provided for download. The WAV files are at different sample rates and are used to confirm that the DAC is actually bit transparent at the different bits and sample rates. I have successfully checked this with both Pure Music and Amarra Mini. When this is working correctly, the three LED lights on the front panel flash in sequence. The new Users Manual (available via download) has a section on this.

It took a bit of effort to get this work. The main issue is that, at least from what I can tell and the steps I went through to get the bit transparency to work, is 1) to download and install the new Firewire firmware and then 2) download and install the bit transparency firmware using the Weiss Control Panel firmware update panel. Please note that I hacked my way through this so please proceed at your own risk.

I am using a MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard so the above information only relates to a MAC install, not Windows.

just updated the firmware and all seems to be working properly. It's also supposed to fix the problem where the Weiss driver doesn't see that the DAC is connected and so it won't load. Time will tell if that one is fixed, otherwise happy:)

regards[br]Michael[br]Mac mini & Amarra 3 | Weiss Minerva | CEC TL-51x | Octave HP500se | ADAM Tensor Delta active speakers. [br]MacBook Pro | V-DAC | Yamamoto HA-02 | ATH-W1000[br]AppleTV | DACMagic2 | Sugden A25 | ADAM HM2

that's OK Chris, you won't ruin my day:)

I mainly listen to vinyl and digital has a long way to go still. Hopefully the DAC202 is another small step on the way.

regards[br]Michael[br]Mac mini & Amarra 3 | Weiss Minerva | CEC TL-51x | Octave HP500se | ADAM Tensor Delta active speakers. [br]MacBook Pro | V-DAC | Yamamoto HA-02 | ATH-W1000[br]AppleTV | DACMagic2 | Sugden A25 | ADAM HM2

Hi,

I've also installed the new sw/firmware and tested with the Minerva DAC @home.

Installation was fairly easy.

I've done massive testing with the sources/transports & it seems like most transports, PC based and standard CDP were able to send Bit Transparent stream.

I believe that this is very significant - as since of "today" the "snake oil" paradigm is not valid any more for transport / DAC connection. Simple testing can qualify a fairly inexpensive device as "Bit Transparent". No need for ultra expensive transports with fairy tails about double shielding, ultra capacitors and on and on...

Regards,

Lior./

I tried the new firmware too.

Downloaded the new Firewire software, downloaded and uploaded the the new firmware. The Minerva DAC control panel and Audio midi settings both set the same, but no flashing lights to confirm bit transparency.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

"It took a bit of effort to get this work. The main issue is that, at least from what I can tell and the steps I went through to get the bit transparency to work, is 1) to download and install the new Firewire firmware and then 2) download and install the bit transparency firmware using the Weiss Control Panel firmware update panel. Please note that I hacked my way through this so please proceed at your own risk."

I am also not sure if I did everything right.. can someone please walk us through the procedure step by step, to ensure all is up to date?

To install the firmware that includes the transparency check, you need to open the Weiss Firewire Control Panel application and then use the Firmware Loader option under Device Settings.

Once that is completed, use the WAV files provided by Weiss. In my case, just clicked on the various WAV files which was automatically read into and played by iTunes library.

One issue I am having is with the SPDIF button to switch between the coax (DVD player) and Toslink (satellite box) inputs. I used to be able to push the button and it would cycle between the two inputs. That does not seem to work anymore. Anyone having this issue?

Hi,

with my laptop Lenovo Y310 & TI FW expresscard & Vista

J River 14 is bitperfect

ITunes is not bitperfect

Windows media P is not bitperfect

Foobar : the file is not recognized

with my CAPS PC & Seven

J River 14 is bitperfect

Manu

For iTunes to be bit-transparent you need to restart iTunes whenever the sampling rate in AudioMidi (or the Weiss Firewire IO window, which talks to AudioMidi) is changed. Of course the sampling rate in the Weiss Firewire IO window (or AudioMidi) must match the sampling rate of the test file played to begin with.

BTW Amarra takes care of all that, no need to restart iTunes when the sampling rate changes. Amarra changes the sampling rate in AudioMidi according to the file played.

Daniel

www.weiss.ch

Chris,

Look forward to your DAC202 review. Assume you will be comparing inputs..? I am a bit puzzled on the issue of many posts on this forum to state asynchronous (such as Weiss firewire) should outperform ancient SPDIF, but I remember you preferring the Minerva via AES... The bit transparancy check sounds like a great help feature btw.. I frequently run into an 'elf' messing up my settings..

Hans

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System