IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

16 hours ago, diecaster said:

If you already have optical cable run, I would certainly use it between your existing switch and the new EtherREGEN switch. But, there is no advantage to running new optical cable between the switches. Cat5e will be just as good. 

I’m sure it is. As the analog, digital, and power cables continue to multiply in my room, anything I can replace with optical (while not adversely affecting sound quality) is a preference.

example is the 20’ optical HDMI cable I’m using. Running with it are stereo cables to the amps, and from the cable box to the pre. Changing that (shielded) digital cable to optical makes me feel better. I could not hear a difference, to be clear though.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

I suppose those of us, obsessively watching this thread, will know when to get our orders in, when the ordering comes available.

im thinking JS-2 to power this etherRegen, and my Roku streamer. Overkill, I’m sure, but that would be 2 less wall-warts in my system.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

• 4 weeks later...

I will be getting one of these, sticking with a plain one for now. I would prefer the bigger case. It would fit on the PSU that I will be getting to power the etherRegen, and Roku player.

Perhaps offer 2 versions? The small one, which would be cheaper, and the large one, which would cost more, but work better for some people.

My feeling is that they have designed a switch that will do well in the average computeraudiophile equipment stack. Copper or Optical in, a "special" copper to the streamer/server, and a couple of other "good" copper outs for additional equipment (BluRay/NAS/Video Streamer) (my stack has networked audio streamer / video streamer / Oppo BR )  It should work GREAT for that purpose. I assume that some people will have other needs, and wants, and need to consider other options.

I currently have a switch on the wall in my mancave that feeds my computer + printer, and a line over to my switch in the A/V stack. I need to look in my closet again, I think my AV switch is the third in line - EdgeLite Router - switch in the closet, mancave switch then the AV switch.

I use a NAS in a closet to run RoonCore, and store music. My streamer is an integrated copper ethernet fed streamer/dac (Bricasti M12)

I am consider network changes to minimize switch count prior to the streamer, and lower electrical runs in the mancave.

1) running copper ethernet from the mancave ethernet wall jack straight to the new etherRegen, and then either copper or fiber back over to a switch under the computer + printer (which is ~15 foot of wall away from each other) adds an optical line, does not reduce copper line, does lower switch count

2) re-arrange my closet system to allow a run straight from the router up to the mancave, and reduce the switch count till the streamer (probably should be done anyway, and might have already been done)

3) install a new switch in the mancave with an SFP slot to feed to the etherRegen (eliminates one current copper line)

good point, so just do it as simply as I can. TYVM

• 2 weeks later...

Does the JS-2 also have internal shunting? I notice there is not a grounding screw on the back panel. Would the etherRegen need to be separately grounded if using the JS-2? If so, would it be hard to have a ground terminal installed in the JS-2? I hope to avoid switching PSUs in the final configuration. I would be using the JS-2 to power the switch and the Roku.

11 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

It would be great to offer one of those ground plugs as an optional paid extra for owners of JS-2?

I was thinking of a grounding screw addition to the back plate of the JS-2 similar to a grounding screw for turntable grounding. I assume (?) that the JS-2 chassis is grounded to earth via the power cord. Simply drilling a hole, and installing a good looking screw terminal (cleaning off some aluminum coating on the inside if needed) would provide correct grounding.

I found where I will be grounding mine (when available) Accessory Ground terminal on my power conditioner (Bryston BIT15)

Bit15 rear.jpg

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: Early general details [We are late but getting closer! ;-)]
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Michaelb4 said:

With trepidation I ask any question. I have an EERO about 4 feet from my Ultrarendu which is connected by ethernet. The Ultrarendu is connected to a Mytek Dac by USB. I may have a good linear power supply powering the Rendu and Dac but it always seemed weird to me because the EERO is powered by whatever they gave me and instructed me to plugin and I am not sure it was developed for audio. The EERO is the first network that works in my house so I am not complaining. 

If I understand I can plug the EtherREGEN in between my EERO and my Ultrarendu and it will filter out most extraneous electrical noise. 

Yes, as long as the etherRegen is the last ethernet connection is etherRegen -> ultraRendu, you will get the cleaning effects of the etherRegen.

My audio stack has an Ethernet switch in it for streamer, Roku, and Oppo BluRay. I’m looking for the etherRegen to make a clean connection to the streamer, while keeping junk from my network, and digital devices in the stack, from that last link.

It’s my recollection that he mentioned it was being designed to fit in an enclosure similar to their current aluminum extrusion cases now. Something like the LPS box with Ethernet ports, power input, grounding stud, and fiber module box studded across both front and back of the case.

Not sure if this concept has endured, or not. As they have not finalized the board yet, I doubt there are pictures yet.

Ouch, his favorite setup is ~$2,500!

I really plan to use a simpler Ethernet cable with clean-up provided by etherRegen, and my Bricasti unit. I currently have some Cables off of Amazon, that have only 2 twisted pair of wires (no PPoE), thin, and flexible, and sound the same as other commercial Cat5-7 cables that have been there, and the one AudioQuest cable I own.

I have a typical amount of audiophile nervousa, but I’m not willing to pay that much for digital cables. I’m also sure that my 60 year old ears will never detect timbre, and sound stage, differences between competently constructed Ethernet cables. YMMV, of course.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:36 PM, LewinskiH01 said:

Post clarification of the misunderstanding above, it seems the etherregen would connect on the special side to the audio PC and the other 4 ports to router and Roon PC.

What's an estimated launch date? Won't hold you to it! 😀 Just to get an idea.

This is pretty much as I understand it. The etherRegen unit is designed to be the “last” ethernet connection to the music endpoint, be it an Ethernet streamer that feeds USB or SPDIF to a DAC (ex. ultraRendu), or some other Ethernet endpoint which converts music files, delivered via Ethernet, to analog audio out (ex. a DAC with built in Ethernet streamer). 

The point being that the etherRegen would clean up the Ethernet signal before the last connection. If there is USB after this streamer, it would need to be considered for cleaning separately.

I suspect they are still testing options, defining the final project before developing the price, before coming up a possible delivery window, which would allow a pre-order to be set up. I’m preferring to let them figure out how to make their version special. I have a functional switch that will do until then.

2 hours ago, DelsFan said:

Having earned my Engineering degree (way back) in 1981, I'm sometimes lost when it comes to networking.  Please clarify if the EtherREGEN is "perfect" for my situation.  I am hoping to purchase a simple (but high quality, how does one do that?) modem, preferably with one "out", and no wireless capabilities, then potentially insert the EtherREGEN between that modem and my dedicated Cary DMS-500 streamer.  No NAS, no computers, anywhere.  Sometimes a CD player.

It seems this would be the ideal situation for the EtherREGEN.  One short Ethernet cable to my streamer and another (of "plain" quality) to my wireless router (and after that, who cares: from the wireless router (wired or not) to everything else).  As opposed to my current methodology: late at night remove from the digital chain the wireless router, and plug the Ethernet cable from my modem directly into my streamer.  All other users... should be asleep.  (For good measure, power the EtherREGEN and my modem with a linear power supply with two correctly sized outputs.)  The EtherREGEN "should" preclude deterioration of the signal going to my streamer, from any of the other five or ten devices also utilizing the internet.  And perhaps provide other benefits which I haven't yet heard described.

Viola!  Yes?

You will need a "router" somewhere in your network. Most would have the router take the output from the modem, it then creates the network. An etherRegen would plug in to your router, and then you could plug your other parts into the etherRegen.

etherRegen is a "switch", but not a router. Look up the difference between and router and a switch for more technical details.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... my current d-link switch is quite adequate for the job at the moment. I plan to wait as long as needed for this product to surface. I have not been enamored of the other upgraded switches so far (function to price ratio). I would look again at the other offerings if  this fails to make it to market, or some other terminal negative.

57 minutes ago, motberg said:

4K pound sterling, I need at least 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting serious now! Way to go guys, can I be first on the pre-pre-order list???

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thanks very much for your enthusiasm, support, and patience!

We are not yet taking pre-orders for the EtherREGEN.  What we do for launches is notify everyone via our mailing list (which you are on if you ever bought anything from us) and via our forum—a few days before, when the product page is up but the “AddToCart” button is not shown.  We do not take orders until we know the exact date we plan to ship (that's once we have dates from our PCB and aluminum case companies.)

We tell in the e-mail the date and time (always 9:00 a.m. PST, usually a Tuesday) that order taking will begin, and right at 9:00 orders pour in.  People set their alarms to get their orders in because the first run (150-250 depending upon my expectation for launch) often sell out in the first hour.

This is really the only manageable way for us to do these launches. No pre-pre-order lists, no capes... x-D

Yes, I did read the rules earlier on this thread, could not help asking for the PRE-pre-order list though. I should be on the list though, so maybe I will notice the notice in time, when it does occur.  - Thanks

I was going to suggest you mark it “100”, and the others “1G”.

• 3 weeks later...

Only half way through Q2. They still have a while. At this point, no news is good news. I figure when it’s ready, they will announce/send emails for pre-order. I’d be more concerned if they were here talking about difficulties in the development process.

• 1 month later...

It has crept upwards as the high quality parts, in multiples on each board keep adding up. But yes it is still not been specified, except to say that they take actual part price, and then add what I consider to be a low overhead/margin percentage and create the price from that.

These guys are both OCD about products, and customer experience/service, yet don’t apply silly “voodoo” prices, or attitudes to their products. I was perfectly happy with my microRendu until my spouse approved my Bricasti after I got a nice bonus. (Living thru 2 children’s weddings was also part of that)

etherRegen is coming soon. I’m starting to get excited personally.

• 4 weeks later...

sounds like both flat surfaces are covered with the SFP, ethernet ports, clock port, and power input, with one LED light as well. not at all sure which ports are on which side.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:17 AM, Superdad said:

Okay gang:

After many days and nights of John's painstaking--and mind-numbing--labor, along with a few last critical surprise part changes based on availability (for the better), the final layout and routing of EtherREGEN is done!!  And the pre-production boards are on order.

Below is the board (remember this is a 6-layer board so not everything is visible); The wide grey line that cuts across is the moat between the 'A' side and the isolated 'B' side.

365 parts total (though 300 of them are tiny, but specially chosen capacitors and resistors).  That's a lot of parts for a board that is just 100mm x 106mm.

Now we wait a few weeks for the boards to be produced--and hope that they work perfect or need only a few tweaks.  I am paying in advance for procurement of all the PCB parts for the first 250 unit run.  About $60K up front.  Color me excited and nervous...9_9

This is no ordinary Ethernet switch!

64254135_EtherREGEN0_9D.thumb.gif.f31de52e875469889954e0f51670419c.gif

Next up: A dear friend and industrial designer/architect is doing the CAD work for the milling and silkscreening of the casework.  We'll be collaborating to get all the openings and labels just right so that I can get the enclosures on order shortly.

Here is an early render of the board itself. Imply whatever you want, but I see the SFP, and a gang of ethernet ports on the top end (B?), and a single port, and clock input (with switch) on the bottom right (A side?), with power, LED (and perhaps ground screw) on the bottom left (more B side)

My guesses, and, assuming the board still looks like this.