IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

Can the ability to eliminate phase-noise fingerprints also provide benefit at the point where USB enters a DAC?  I’m thinking about the clocks inside some of these music servers and renderers.  Would their phase-noise get fingerprinted onto the USB signal?  Music servers sound different, even with an ISO REGEN in use.  Might that be part of the reason why?

I have a feeling the EtherRegen might actually make server differences easier to hear, as it will reduce the harm all our network gadgets cause and thus give us clearer insight into the server.  I could be wrong though.  Can’t wait to find out!

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 1 month later...

Are we there yet, (super)dad?  😐

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Lest anyone think the above is a "simple" switch:

You are looking at a boatload of innovative engineering and techniques never previously applied to an Ethernet switch.

And the board you see, in 250 unit runs, will cost us about $250 each--a full $200 of which are parts on the top of the board. Those 10GHz-capable ultra-low-jitter flip-flops, 600MHz LVDS isolators, clock synth, and pile of best-of-breed regulators don't come cheap!

9_9

Impressive Alex - thanks for sharing.

But are we there yet, dad?

(ducking)

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

If anyone doesn’t think their choice of Ethernet cables is inconsequential,  just try some different designs in your system setup.

I finally got my hands on a couple of Shunyata’s, a new cable design. It ran rings around my existing WireWorld Platinum and Starlight 8 cables, in/out of the Cisco 2960 switch.  Needless to say, I’ve put a couple of these on order. 

Really looking forward to the EtherREGEN to see how much farther my system can go.

Are you referring to the Sigma or Alpha?  I will be purchasing one of these, but am waiting first for the EtherRegen, as I will use it between this and my Zenith.  Like you, I’m looking forward to seeing how much further these two moves will take my system.  

27 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

What I've found is that you really don't want to mix differing technologies -- the WireWorld is Cat8 (shielded) untwisted flat design with the Shunyata Cat6a unshielded type with a traditional type configuration.  They seem to work against each other, or at least diminish the intended results.  That's what I discovered when initially swapping just the Sigma for the Platinum.  Better but nothing like adding the Alpha into the mix.

Interesting finding.  I have a long run of Wireworld Chroma from wall jack to my Zenith presently.  The plan was to run that into the EtherRegen and then have an Alpha or Sigma feeding the Zenith.  Hopefully the EtherRegen does succeed in allowing the cable on one side of the moat to have no audible impact on the other side of the moat.

Your comments about the Sigma have me rethinking the order of my moves.  The high demand for the EtherRegen may make it tough to obtain one once it’s finally available.  

On 8/8/2019 at 8:07 PM, stevebythebay said:

Used both the Sigma and Alpha in my config.  

Looking at the specs Shunyata has published for their Ethernet cables, it appears the only difference is the number of CMode modules.  Venom has 0, Alpha has 1 and Sigma has 2.  The EtherRegen should lessen (or eliminate?) the need for any common mode filtering.  It’ll be interesting to hear if the differences between their three Ethernet cables vanish when used with the EtherRegen.

2 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

But the proof will be in the “pudding”.

True that.

I was just struck by the fact that this thread was started in March of 2018.  Hopefully not much longer.

5 hours ago, marce said:

The Cmode filters are ferrite rings.

Where did you get that information?

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
4 hours ago, Superdad said:

As promised. Arguments about ABX and cables gone, along with a few other random OT posts. It was a fun diversion while it lasted. B|

I very much appreciate the great job you do at keeping us on point here.  

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Puma Cat said:

Even within the strict confines of their "schtick", they don't know how to conduct a scientifically controlled experiment in the context of "real-world" use, and furthermore, they've not done a formal MSA (measurement systems analysis) prior to the measurements they take. Without an MSA in place before taking measurements, there is no way to know that their measurement system has sufficient precision to observe real differences from noise (all data sets contain noise, some contain signals) and make statistically valid inferences, if there are differences. For example, they don't know what their smallest effective measurement increment is, they don't know what the "% Contribution" of their MS is, and they don't know anything about the "part" (i.e., DAC) x Operator interaction. 

So very well said.  Over the years I had tried to make the same point about their measurement having sufficient precision.  I couldn't explain it as precisely as you did.

Sorry for going off topic here Alex.  I just thought the above was an excellent point.

@Superdad thank you so much for getting the first batch shipped out so far ahead of the promised date.  I’m loving what I’m hearing so far!  @JohnSwensonand you have another winner here.

My initial impressions:

• 1 year later...
On 9/9/2021 at 11:18 AM, PYP said:

Personally, I don't think that optical is a magic solution.  Just like everything else, it depends upon implementation.  

True that.

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, agladstone said:

I’m curious if the new EtherRegen 2 would actually be best served for streaming 4K video because of the 1GB throughput? 
Maybe I’ll need to get two of the newer ones :) 

Keeping my fingers crossed that 100 mbps is sufficient.  What’s interesting is that my LG OLED only supports up to that rate over wired - though I’ll likely run the B side into my Nvidia Shield Pro and that supports gigabit.  I suspect though that the compressed streams will be fine over 100 mbps.

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]
  • 1 month later...
On 8/28/2023 at 3:24 PM, Superdad said:

My father, at 93.5 years, passed away late Friday night.

Very sorry for your loss.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:16 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I dreamed of owning Hovland gear back in the day, but could never afford it

Me too.  Beautiful stuff.