IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

On 7/22/2019 at 11:18 AM, marce said:

External clocks are not the best idea for domestic audio, the extra length of cable causes more issues than it solves.

Can you expound a bit on the cable length, as far as fiber is concerned (if it’s any issue)?  

I ran fiber to listening room (60ft) and to an area upstairs (100ft) using the two sfp ports in my managed switch in laundry room.

My rig

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!

This may have been asked already so apologies in advance, but just a general question - the ER is fixed at 100MB speed I believe (as opposed to 1GB or greater), is there any situation where this may pose a problem down the road?  I understand 100MB provides plenty of bandwidth, and I can't think of anything really, just curious.

My rig

6 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

it shouldn't be grounded from the ER to the target (meaning, avoid metallic RJ45).

Not necessarily directed at you, but many of the higher end ethernet cables all seem use the fancy metal connectors - I assume these don't have a shield connected to these?  As been stated many times, its not recommended to use shielded eth cables with the metal clip on the ends, and if you must, remove the clip at least from one end - at least that's my take

eth.JPG

My rig

11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

On this subject, and when using an EtherREGEN, the truth is I am not sure if it will anymore matter whether the shields are ties (via shield and metal shells) at both ends. 

Between the 12-core-per-port magnetics and the through-capacitor-center-tap-to-ground shunting we do on the 'A'-side, and the extreme differential isolation across the moat to the 'B' side, I'm really going to be surprised if people hear much of anything with upstream Ethernet cable tweaks and the shielding of those.

Guess we'll see--or rather hear. :D 

Actually, this is the sort of thing that John could set up to measure (he has measured Ethernet leakage and these grounding issues before).  But:

a) I don't know that he has many/any metal-shell/end-to-end shield cables on hand;

b) He has many way more important things to do with his time at this point.

Not to veer off onto cables, one of the points I was looking for is being the fancy connectors are metal, does that make them inherently problematic as it relates to ground or do they have to be tied to the shield/drain wire or whatever?  I have no horse in the cable race per se, been using BJC 6a for awhile.

My rig