IGNORED

JVS Cheerleads an MQA CD..Sis Boom Bah!

1 hour ago, Brinkman Ship said:

JVS:

"The Nonesuch Records CD Steve Reich: Pulse / Quartet arrived with its sonic bonus unheralded. With no MQA designation on the album cover or disc, few would have known of its MQA provenance had not posts appeared on Facebook that, when inserted in a player capable of decoding MQA, it can deliver high-resolution MQA.

Now that I've heard the MQA-encoded FLAC files courtesy of Nonesuch (owned by "Big Three Major" Warner Music), I can attest that there's every reason in the world to hear this disc in the best-sounding format available to you. The "Masters"/MQA version can also be streamed on Tidal or, I believe, downloaded in some countries other than the US from highresaudio.com.) (The MQA files are 24/48 MQA.FLAC, and unfold to 24/96.) The non-MQA hi-rez version can be downloaded from HDTracks and Acoustic Sounds.

When played as 24/96 FLAC without MQA, the sound is extremely clear and direct. While well-suited to conveying the complex, shifting patterns that are central to Reich's music, the music sounds somewhat dry and studio-bound. (I can't resist noting the irony of a recording that was made at Air Studios, Lyndhurst Hall, London, and mixed by John Kilgore in New York, sounding dry and airless.) Switch to MQA (mastered by Robert C. Ludwig in Portland, ME), and everything opens up. The more realistic vibrancy, color, and body of the instruments themselves, and their markedly increased, natural-sounding resonant interaction with the hall are impossible to miss, even through headphones.

The opening "Fast" movement—the longest of the three at 6:46— abounds with energy. Melody and rhythm keep morphing as they engage in a constant percussive dance of sorts whose glowing resonances, almost Gamelan-like (and more realistic and convincing with MQA), are filled with surprising rhythmic stops and starts. The middle "Slow" movement sounds particularly compelling with MQA, the luminous, sustained sounds of vibes suspended uncannily in three-dimensional space in a manner that evokes, in a curious sort of way, Debussy's Mélisande, who moved through life with an air of untouchable, suspended mystery."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/first-major-label-mqa-cd-steve-reich-nonsesuch#z5AS5hHCcmXMga26.99

He makes a very misleading statement above, trying to imply that standard download was mastered one place,

and the "special" MQA versionwas done by Bob Ludwig. I have the 24/96 download, and it comes with a digital booklet, and Ludwig is listed as the only mastering engineer.

I will compare.  But in the meantime, go out and buy this  CD, and don't forget your MQA DAC!!! Run along!

Thanks for the heads up on this!  I wouldn't have known about it without your bringing it to my attention.  Are you SURE you're not working for MQA?

David

12 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I can safely say we have all had enough of the pseudo moderating done by you and a few other busy bodies. Chris is doing great.

Do you have any comments about the MQA CD? Otherwise MYOB. Same goes for your pal.

Pretty thin skin there. It was a totally innocent question and wasn’t directed to you. 

I think an MQA cd doesn’t make sense as they can barely fit a simple 16/44 file on the silly discs anyway. 

David

4 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

Stereophile is making MQA–clickbaiting an artform. Give Atkinson a black belt, reputation be dammed, MQA drives eyeballs ;)

I just received this months copies of both Absolute Sound and Stereophile and try as I might I couldn’t see one mention of MQA on either their covers or their contents pages. 

5A3D9982-0ABF-4CBF-A462-974D1D980C59.thumb.jpeg.25eaad4b80692b4eb9d4c4b395affb84.jpeg

David

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

I find it hard to believe that you "missed" it when you've been so busy posting in the thread here discussing that very article. I'll accept, however, that you may have been unaware of the news stand cover with an MQA highlight in the corner you covered.

Soooooo.......you’re calling me a liar?  

David

6 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Well you have posted on that very article,

I have.  I have read it online and just received the print version of the magazine and to be honest was distracted by other articles in it and (stupidly) missed it in the contents section.  Now, I've said it a number of times so I don't think it needs said again that I flat out missed it.

Your contention isn't that I'm blind for missing it (I somewhat could accept that) but that I am a liar.  That's not cool my friend. 

David

1 minute ago, Spacehound said:

So you've reduced it to 'insinuations' now? That's a start.

Perhaps  you will get to "I  myself insinuated  I was a liar" soon rather than throw 'threats' about "anyone else on this forum" around.

No, I think I'll stick with what people wrote.  As far as threats, I hardly see my comment as a threat. 

David