IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

1 hour ago, Mat said:

My LPS 1.2 stay on red , what is wrong ? 

Hi Mat:

I replied to your email. Please check. 
Assuming you were “energizing”/charging your LPS-1.2 with the supplied UpTone-branded 36W/7.5V AC>DC adapter, and that you had the output set to 12V for the EtherREGEN you said you were powering—you UltraCap LPS-1.2 may indeed have failed.  
Please see the email I sent you with regards your options. 

Thanks and regards,

Alex C.

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Bernstein said:

Will this be higher or lower in price of the JS-2?

Parts cost is much higher than the $960 JS-2. So retail price will likely be around $1,350.

Looks like same size, right?

Yes, exact same case and finish as JS-2. Of course rear panel openings and text will be different. And on the front panel the same amber LED in the 'p' of UpTone, but 25mm down and 20mm to the left of that main power LED will be two same size green LEDs indicating good DC output from the two outputs. (One goes off if a channel is overcurrent, and only one will be lit if the unit is switched into 4A single-output mode.)

There are a lot of interesting aspects to the circuit design to discuss--once I have time and start a new thread about JS-4 when the final beta units ship.

CE certification for EU usage?

Probably not. An arduous and expensive process (typically about $20K to fully comply with all paperwork and test procedures) that can take nearly a year, and which in the end does not really net much.  Our products are completely safe, but meeting the newest regulation for efficiency is sometimes difficult for a linear power supply.

For example, for an external power supply with an output voltage of 1-50 volts DC and a power output of 1-250 watts, the European Commission Regulation (EC) No 278/2009 sets out the following minimum energy efficiency levels that must be met at various load levels:

49% efficiency at 25% of rated output power

68% efficiency at 50% of rated output power

74% efficiency at 75% of rated output power

75% efficiency at 100% of rated output power

We'll have to check to see if the JS-4 can meet the above requirements at all output voltage levels--especially at full load.

But in the end it does not matter too much as European clients have been receiving direct shipments of the non-CE marked JS-2 for over 7 years. There are probably 750 JS-2s in Europe alone. B|

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, E-Stat said:

It will power up green for about twenty seconds then turn red.    Output measures 7V as it should then goes to zero.

Does that indicate irreparable failure?

Assuming you are using the original UpTone-branded 36W AC>DC adapter as "energizing"/charging supply, then yes, it would seem that your unit has failed.  

Very sorry about this.  Please do write to me (via our website or e-mail) so I know who you are and can date your unit.