IGNORED

Blue or red pill?

Just now, PeterSt said:

Frank, then you didn't get what I was talking about.

It is not about aligning the takes. It is about the sheer impossibility to start the take at an e.g. 1/192000 of a second so the ADC sampler will start at the exact same time of the analogue wave thrown at it. This is how I said that only infinite sampling rate can do it; then you can shift afterwards to any point for alignment as there are no points (it's analog now).

I also said (earlier on) that "of course" this can be done with connected clocks hence one clock for DAC and ADC.

When that is arranged for (doable) we must still take care that all happens in the bit perfect domain of the OS (quite difficult) and we, for example, notice that it must happen on two different PCs (never mind the why for now and go ahead if you think you can avoid that).

That then you still have trouble in the alignment itself which is an aftermath thing, yes, that can be a clumsy task. So the software does that too to gain many hours of time and try things without hassle.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Well, your use of English makes it a bit of minefield trying to work out precisely what you're saying - perhaps, an alternative phrasing, :D:P.

Many people have trouble understanding Peter !:D

However, given that his first language isn't English, he does remarkably well without the need for the Google translator.;)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

For the amusement of some - and related to hearing "subtle differences", I was visiting the audio friend down the road a couple of hours ago  - and his SQ was "not there". I realised that a power cord was not optimally held in position, and it was easy to hear the variation by very slightly altering this - leading to doing some "furniture" hardware mods to stabilise this - problem solved! Many here would have a fit if they saw how 'dumb' this change was - but, it did matter ... doing captures of this variation and finding a significant difference would be of the same level of difficulty as this exercise, here.

Still in the mood ? (of not skip) 

Compare13.thumb.png.752316a6a9b534baec1a1e62e8b3eaf3.png

This is "some" representation of the far more difficult part (you will find this hard to believe) as this is about comparing digital to digital as in : compare the native file data with a capture of it via analogue which has been digitized again (the latter always happens). So this is not about a reference file but about absolute comparison.

The fun of this one is that I show two channels here. Say left is the top and right is the bottom.

What this so nicely shows is that my DAC of the time is more slow in the left channel than it is in the right channel. And oh, let's not forget, this is all about music and not test signals.

The lag you see is from input (the file data of the moment in time) to the output (captured and registered by the ADC). It is just stereo (2 channel) data and the left channel and right channel are not equal to begin with. Still the left channel shows a vagueness it its lag/deviation from the original which again is the red line.

That the left channel is literally more slow must be explained in another post and another picture. It also requires the experience of the analysis but also of the 100% repeatable character of everything (and this is hard to show here so you must trust me on it).

XXHighEnd (developer)

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

he does remarkably well without the need for the Google translator.;)

That's what you think !

haha

XXHighEnd (developer)

Mani

At your next GTG with Mansr, would it be possible for you to educate him on what you listen for, and give him  some demonstrations?

I have found that most are able to hear these things too, provided that they aren't extremely subtle, after a little guidance.

After a few initial successes, they usually end up becoming quite proficient in this regard.

It would be very helpful if he was able to home in on these things for himself too.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

12 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

It is not about aligning the takes. It is about the sheer impossibility to start the take at an e.g. 1/192000 of a second so the ADC sampler will start at the exact same time of the analogue wave thrown at it. This is how I said that only infinite sampling rate can do it; then you can shift afterwards to any point for alignment as there are no points (it's analog now).

I also said (earlier on) that "of course" this can be done with connected clocks hence one clock for DAC and ADC.

When that is arranged for (doable) we must still take care that all happens in the bit perfect domain of the OS (quite difficult) and we, for example, notice that it must happen on two different PCs (never mind the why for now and go ahead if you think you can avoid that).

That then you still have trouble in the alignment itself which is an aftermath thing, yes, that can be a clumsy task. So the software does that too to gain many hours of time and try things without hassle.

It's all about the fact that there will be some remarkably small measure of time misalignment - even if the clocks are synchronised, there will be a tiny time delay because of the finite time for the signal to pass through the circuit - one way to get around this is to resample at very two high, different  rates, with only a single digit difference in the rates; at a certain time the two will be in perfect sync.

10 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

What this so nicely shows is that my DAC of the time is more slow in the left channel than it is in the right channel. And oh, let's not forget, this is all about music and not test signals.

NRZI  Peter not your DAC.

23 minutes ago, fas42 said:

one way to get around this is to resample at very two high, different  rates,

Yes, I thought you would be funny to come up with this.

And of course you next claim that you wouldn't "resample out" these subtle differences, right ?

So again go ahead with that but I don't believe you will be left with some result (differentiation).

Otoh I am almost sure that Mans is - or has been trying this. So yes, I'd expect something in that realm.

Thus Yes, technically that is a possibility. Practically I'm afraid not.

XXHighEnd (developer)

26 minutes ago, alfe said:

NRZI  Peter not your DAC.

Hey, since when are you around again eh ?

:)

But Alfe, I miss the context !

And if I'm allowed to make up my own context, how to implement it ?

BBbbut ... FYI : with the digital capture (thus compare file contents with analogue out) I do make use of sneaky markers.

That is what you meant, right ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 3/26/2018 at 9:23 PM, mansr said:

There has to be an explanation.

Perhaps we're getting there?

Unfortunately, I can't see how anything Peter's put forward in his last few posts could be applied to the analogue captures we have from test.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Yes, I thought you would be funny to come up with this.

And of course you next claim that you wouldn't "resample out" these subtle differences, right ?

So again go ahead with that but I don't believe you will be left with some result (differentiation).

Otoh I am almost sure that Mans is - or has been trying this. So yes, I'd expect something in that realm.

Thus Yes, technically that is a possibility. Practically I'm afraid not.

Given sufficient accuracy of the ADC, and the best methods for processing the data then there should be something there - I haven't pursued this far enough to be sure; and you may have taken this further without finding anything worthwhile - but there has to be some method for identifying the variation, if the ears can hear it.

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

but there has to be some method for identifying the variation, if the ears can hear it.

OK, you didn't understand any of my today's posts.

Too poor English on my side. Sorry ... :ph34r:

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Given sufficient accuracy of the ADC, and the best methods for processing the data then there should be something there - I haven't pursued this far enough to be sure; and you may have taken this further without finding anything worthwhile - but there has to be some method for identifying the variation, if the ears can hear it.

I'll happily release the digital and analogue captures once Mans has reported back. Do with them what you like...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

3 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

OK, you didn't understand any of my today's posts.

Hey Peter, if people want to try, let them try, no?

Edit. I'd even like to make a bit of a competition with a prize out of it.

Mani.

38 minutes ago, fas42 said:

It's all about the fact that there will be some remarkably small measure of time misalignment - even if the clocks are synchronised, there will be a tiny time delay because of the finite time for the signal to pass through the circuit

No. This only happens with the "digital" comparison I talked about and this was/is covered for (a hard pain, but it was/is).

For what the subject of the thread ia about, this is harmless because we talk about two (or more) takes and all will behave the same (delay and such is always the same).

We're not looking at molecule level, right ?

(too much noise for that :|)

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 minute ago, PeterSt said:

No. This only happens with the "digital" comparison I talked about and this was/is covered for (a hard pain, but it was/is).

For what the subject of the thread ia about, this is harmless because we talk about two (or more) takes and all will behave the same (delay and such is always the same).

We're not looking at molecule level, right ?

(too much noise for that :|)

Doing a "digital" comparison is the only worthwhile option - an analogue comparison is so dependent on the recording apparatus, so much distortion and noise will creep in that it would be a nightmare ...

An immediate capture to digital representation at the "horse's mouth", at the highest possible accuracy, would be the starting point - then, maths can take over and make of it something worthwhile.

Mani

Are you also able to hear clear differences between any of your files saved at different locations (e.g. internal and external ) when played using the same player settings ?

These wouldn't need to be "captured" , as they could be saved to another medium (with a small degradation) or uploaded directly.

Alex

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Doing a "digital" comparison is the only worthwhile option -

No. It isn't an option. It does not show any differences between files that sound different, but have the same Binary Data.

9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

An immediate capture to digital representation at the "horse's mouth", at the highest possible accuracy, would be the starting point - then, maths can take over and make of it something worthwhile.

You mean before any digital-to-analogue conversion has taken place?

But Mans has already done this analysis and has concluded categorically that the 24/176.4 digital captures taken during the A/B/X are bit-identical (ignoring the first 10k samples on some of them).

What would you be able to do that Mans can't?

Mani.

3 minutes ago, manisandher said:

But Mans has already done this analysis and has concluded categorically that the 24/176.4 digital captures taken during the A/B/X are bit-identical (ignoring the first 10k samples on some of them).

Mani.

Mani

Would I be correct in saying that you were unable to hear the differences that you originally heard when listening to the digital "captures" ? 

Alex

1 minute ago, manisandher said:

I'd even like to make a bit of a competition with a prize out of it.

Well, didn't I call out for the bookmakers ?

haha

Point is (I think !) that you/one can't really deal with the few samples only, never mind you have a dozen of the same of them. Point is, they are the same and people will not be able to see what they are looking for. So there would be one test set only. Remember my remark (which is totally crucial) that I could repeat the tests however I want with the music I want and as often I want. Allow me to give an example again :

Compare11.thumb.png.9be82b7f77b50d045b1bbc2df91a7fe4.png

Keep in mind that this could be Child in Time or White Christmas as this is data (music) independent .

But how can one tell it is about this, while I by now showed 6 or so examples of all very different kind, while I also seem to know what I am doing to incur for such a distortion (which of course is still bit-equal). With only one example (your test files) one wouldn't know what to look for.

If I repeat this 10 times (through different music) then I can be 100% confident that what I see is the subject. Also I can scroll through the whole recording (and not only have 1 few seconds of it). I have means to find the differences, etc. (you might have no idea what it takes to even find the deviations, which is all related to the zoom level). Or some other way around, where the last example above was about : the mouse points at something which I could detect in an other take (the two below) and only therefore could identify the residu in the top trace.

Analysis is just that I'm afraid - A lot of time and special means to do it. I just made them because I am crazy.

For fun : look closer at the anomalies above. You can see that the repetition is the most frequent in time. Use the large excursions to see the smaller ones throughout. The distance is e.g. 00:0048.010 to 00:0048.030 (merely 0.08 to 0.28). The 48 is seconds. So this happens each 2/100 of a second. You know what ? this is 20us. And you know what more ? this is the actual Windows time resolution (at least back then).

Now that ...

Find that timer (or in your own software or in other software running), eliminate it and have again better sound.

or (for fun !) :

Imply an SFS lower than 20us, be thus confronted with this best Windows timing (for user code), have this distortion applied and there you go. Set the SFS to 200 (meaning 30 seconds or whatever) and you won't find back this timer distortion because the timer goes off once per 30 seconds only.

If I'd use timers of course. But I don't.

But I am full with tricks.

Still I wouldn't take up that challenge in this case. I seriously think it can't be done (by means of what is available).

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Mani.

No. Where the "damage is done" is in the conversion to analogue, within the playback chain. A capture of that analogue, using a precision ADC at a point close to where that first conversion took place, is the "horse's mouth". Of course, there is always a possibility that the presence of the capture ADC in turn interferes with, degrades the analogue input, via some subtle coupling mechanism - can the measurer take a reading in an experiment, without unduly affecting what he is trying to measure? - an ongoing dilemma for all scientists.