IGNORED

Audio Blind Testing

True, if a magazine evaluation, etc.  (or for Magneplanar deciding if they want to change an existing product).

These would be 'cells' in an analysis of variance design.

For a person testing equipment for themself, the number of interested audiophiles is 1.  Multiple tests should still be done.

not sure how time is being used in all the posts

but if the time difference between listening sessions is considered that may well make it more different for a listener to compare - most sensory phenomena (and their processing in the brain or elsewhere) are 'designed' to do comparisons

One good way to do listening comparisons is listen to one short passage on A, and then on B

- this is trivial to setup using 2 different CD players; not so easy with 2 different speakers

*** ...not to rule out extended sessions

comparisons are nearly pointless without DBTs

- there is a huge cognitive psychology literature about this, including cross-modal sensory issues, not to mention "label whore" effects in wine tastings, food tastings, and on and on

- the effects are not limited to humans but are known in other mammals and birds

37 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

True, but they should probably be interested in whether that $5000 cable actually makes an audible difference or if seeing the many zeros in the price tag causes a catastrophic failure of common sense.

I can guarantee that an assumed high price will make your wine taste better, and your cables sound better even if they are cheap.

The former was tested by scientists with remarkable results, and published in one of those peer-reviewed journals that some try to kick sand at.

Confirmation Bias is insidious which is why any prudent purchaser will take steps to guard against it.

43 minutes ago, STC said:

.... All I am saying, the look, price, the room and brand reputation have a role to play in perception.

I have no problem if someone wants to pay extra for a look they like.  But the consumer needs to make that decision with full knowledge of what $$ put where provides SQ vs. ergonomics, or aesthetic visuals.

In act, ergonomics was part of the reason I bought my current pre-amp - it happens sound pretty good too (ARC LS25 Mk II)