IGNORED

Yggy or Bryston BDA-3 or something else?

I've read stellar reviews about both of those DAC's. Anyone who was able to compare them? (not necesarrily at the same moment) If there is another DAC which I should add to my list, please let me know. (PCM only is fine, no Sabre please)

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I've not heard either, but I see a lot of rave reviews for  the Schitt, crucially from diverse sources which suggests to me it's probably very good.  It's heavy too, which is always a good sign in my book....

I don't get quite the same sense of scale of enthusiasm for  the Bryston, but it  wins hands down in terms on flexibility of format and input though, even accepting a DSD stream over HDMI from Oppo players (which of course doesn't interest you)

But if you only want PCM up to 192 then get the Schitt (it's a good bit cheaper too I think)

I wouldn't buy either myself, but then you don't want to hear about Sabre DACs....

For a little more money, Lampizator Atlantic.

If you are willing to buy Chinese, Denafrips or Holo Spring

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, mfin said:

Metrum Onyx or Jade

Can they compete with Yggy? I will look into them, there is a version with pre-amp too, isn't it?

18 minutes ago, firedog said:

If you are willing to buy Chinese, Denafrips or Holo Spring

Or Audio GD R2R 7. I've read it smashes the Holo Spring Level 3. But I didn't find comparison to the Yggy...

I am after a DAC which can reproduce the emotion of a recording. Something which can draw me into the music and can give me goosebumbs. ?Transparancy and deep soundstage is also a must. I don't like the soundstage to be upfront. 

24 minutes ago, Mark V. said:

Can they compete with Yggy? I will look into them, there is a version with pre-amp too, isn't it?

The Jade is an Onyx with volume control. I only mentioned them as I was looking into one myself, there's an mqa board coming out for them too. It's non-oversampling too.

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/metrum-acoustics-onyx-and-jade-digital-analogue-converter

It might be worth an audition.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't heard a Bryston, though it was no my list.  But I do have a PS Audio DirectStream DAC, a Yggy, and an Oppo 105.  I setup the Yggy this morning to start the break-in process.  Out of the box both the DS and the Yggy are in a different class than the very bright Oppo (Sabre chip).  Some of my Redbook sounds better on the Yggy, and most of my DSD sounds better on the DS, and the rest I can't tell the difference, so far.  After hearing each in my system, I could live with either, but don't ask me to give one up, yet. 

NUC >  M5 > May KTE > Bliss KTE > Headphone of the day