IGNORED

Sonore ultraDigital v2.0

I have an UD on trial as I wanted to use the I2S input on my PS Audio Junior DAC - finding it previously the best input. 

The Ultradigital input power spec is 6-9v. I had a spare 5V LT3045 voltage reg,  (powered by LPS-1 @7v) and wanted to give it the cleanest power, which is better than the straight LPS-1 at 7v. It seems to work okay, so is there any reason not to run it on 5v if it works?

Sounding VERY nice, with sweet and smooth highs and full rich sound.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

For anyone interested, after a weeks listening the  Ultradigital definitely sounds better with a 5v LT3045 before it powered by an LPS-1.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

For anyone interested, after a weeks listening the  Ultradigital definitely sounds better with a 5v LT3045 before it powered by an LPS-1.

That's why the newer generation UltraCap LPS-1.2 has paralleled LT3045s as it output regulators.  The LT3045 did not even exist when we did the original LPS-1 design.  

I think you know all that.  Just posting for the benefit of others as there is no need to add outboard LT3045 DIY boards when an LPS-1.2 is used.  :D

• 1 month later...

Hi Jesus,

I have read this entire thread and I have questions.

I just ordered a Holo Spring 2 DAC and I already own a ultraDigital and a ultraRendu. Do I need to check and/or upgrade the firmware on the UD and if so where is the firmware and instructions? Also, what are the correct and current dip switch settings for the Spring 2 version? Do I take the UD board out of the case to change the dip switch settings?

As I said there is some confusing information and a lot of comments about reversed channels on DSD. I saw a post that said firmware 2.22 is for the Holo but it is not clear about Spring 2 version.

I will be feeding DSD 256 and PCM 7xx via I2S to the Spring 2 from my uRendu/UDigital using HQPlayer on Windows and Roon on a sonicTransporter.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

2 hours ago, bobflood said:

Hi Jesus,

I have read this entire thread and I have questions.

I just ordered a Holo Spring 2 DAC and I already own a ultraDigital and a ultraRendu. Do I need to check and/or upgrade the firmware on the UD and if so where is the firmware and instructions? Also, what are the correct and current dip switch settings for the Spring 2 version? Do I take the UD board out of the case to change the dip switch settings?

As I said there is some confusing information and a lot of comments about reversed channels on DSD. I saw a post that said firmware 2.22 is for the Holo but it is not clear about Spring 2 version.

I will be feeding DSD 256 and PCM 7xx via I2S to the Spring 2 from my uRendu/UDigital using HQPlayer on Windows and Roon on a sonicTransporter.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Try the PS Audio settings for the Holo Spring 2 DAC. There is no firmware update. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 1:34 PM, vortecjr said:

Just updated this post and the website to reflect the change to the W4S setup via the switches. Also, units are back in stock at both the Sonore and SGC stores.   

Hi:

I noticed that the Wyred 4 Sound settings on the website now have SW5 set to on.  When did this happen and why?  I cannot find any mention of that change here.  Originally, when I troubleshot the out of phase DSD and channel swap issues, we ended up with SW7 and SW8 set to on but not SW5.

Thanks,

Walter

3 hours ago, birdland45 said:

Hi:

I noticed that the Wyred 4 Sound settings on the website now have SW5 set to on.  When did this happen and why?  I cannot find any mention of that change here.  Originally, when I troubleshot the out of phase DSD and channel swap issues, we ended up with SW7 and SW8 set to on but not SW5.

Thanks,

Walter

It was based on feedback from W4S. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tintinabulum said:

Slightly cheeky /lazy question, I'm looking to convert USB to SPDIF. Has anyone listened to a Mutec USB 3+ for this purpose compared to an ultraDigital? I have one and i'm tempted by the ultraDigital, am I going to hear improved SQ (in general terms)?

I have the ultraDigital and it performs well for me but I do not have a Mutec for comparison. One thing that is different is the I2s output on the uD which the Mutec does not have and would be useful if you ever get a DAC with I2s input. I have a Holo Spring 2 on order and will report back on SPDIF vs I2s when it arrives. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, smoorenc said:

I found it on small green computers website. The switch settings image is missing on the Sonore website. Here is the link in case anyone needs it for the ultraDigital.

We are in the process of changing that table based on new information. The Sonore website was updated this morning. According to PS Audio all their DACs use the same pin assignments. Please use the PS Audio switch settings found here:

Link to Google spreadsheet: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=724151739

I have another question. When running Roon/Tidal on others peoples I see their DAC too. I have Sonore MicroRendu and UltraDigital I2S to PS Audio DAC. I only see Sonore MicroRendu , but twice, at the bottom of my path. Any ideas why showing MicroRendu twice, no UltraDigital and no PS Audio DAC? Is there switch settings I have wrong? It all sounds good though!

full mga.png

28 minutes ago, smoorenc said:

I have another question. When running Roon/Tidal on others peoples I see their DAC too. I have Sonore MicroRendu and UltraDigital I2S to PS Audio DAC. I only see Sonore MicroRendu , but twice, at the bottom of my path. Any ideas why showing MicroRendu twice, no UltraDigital and no PS Audio DAC? Is there switch settings I have wrong? It all sounds good though!

full mga.png

Two microRendu is weird, but we would have to ask Roon why. What is not weird is that Roon will not see your DAC because i2s is not capable of that communication back to a player. 

1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

Two microRendu is weird, but we would have to ask Roon why. What is not weird is that Roon will not see your DAC because i2s is not capable of that communication back to a player. 

OK thanks! It sounds fantastic and that is all that matters really. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick couple of questions on the Ultradigital and the Stellar DAC from PS Audio.

What are the DIP switch setting for the Stellar Gain DAC from PS Audio?  On the Sonore Ultradigital table it has PS Audio listed with DIP #5, #6 and #7 on, but I've also read through this forum with only DIP #7 on for the PS Audio Stellar DAC.

Also is it normal for the sample rate information and pcm/dsd to not show up on the PS Audio SGCD? I'm assuming since the masterclock is turned off by default that there is no information for the DAC to display.

Thanks,

Joe

4 hours ago, jserio2335 said:

Quick couple of questions on the Ultradigital and the Stellar DAC from PS Audio.

What are the DIP switch setting for the Stellar Gain DAC from PS Audio?  On the Sonore Ultradigital table it has PS Audio listed with DIP #5, #6 and #7 on, but I've also read through this forum with only DIP #7 on for the PS Audio Stellar DAC.

Hi Joe, I am running with SW 6,7,8 "ON" the rest set to "OFF" per the last thing I was sent to on this post #362 

forum: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=724151739

Scott

16 minutes ago, smoorenc said:

Thanks Scott. 

16 minutes ago, smoorenc said:

Hi Joe, I am running with SW 6,7,8 "ON" the rest set to "OFF" per the last thing I was sent to on this post #362 

forum: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=724151739

Scott

Quick couple of questions on the Ultradigital and the Stellar Dac from PS Audio.

What are the DIP switch setting for the Stellar Gain DAC from PS Audio?  On the Sonore Ultradigital table it has PS Audio listed with DIP #5, #6 and #7 on, but I've also read through this forum with only DIP #7 on for the PS Audio Stellar Dac.

Also is it normal for the sample rate information and pcm/dsd to not show up on the PS Audio SG? I'm assuming since the masterclock is turned off by default that there is no information for the DAC to display.

Thanks,

Joe

4 hours ago, jserio2335 said:

Scott

Sounds like a question for PS Audio.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio