IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

9 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

You must by now know, unless just returned from another planet, that a huge number of people  find such comments oscillating between ignorance and arrogance.

Oh, the irony.

9 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

By the venom spouted about ML I gather his banning was a much desired bonus ! 

Considering the venom spouted by ML, his banning was most welcome.

10 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

You call it moral condemnation but it appears more from my perspective like moral indignation on the part of a small group that feel that their knowledge base and expertise is being threatened by people who dare to see it or hear it differently.

Not threatened, insulted.

12 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

People, including Michael L *are entitled* to say exactly what they want about their  experience

Sure, but they're not entitled to do this without consequences. One consequence of saying stupid shit is often, quite rightfully, ridicule.

32 minutes ago, vmartell22 said:

To other people, I call myself "audio enthusiast"  - I want to make a distinction between that and the audiophile which imo is the subset of audio enthusiasts that a) have lots of resources in order to acquire ultra expensive equipment b) Do no consider engineering/science principles relevant to the matter.

quote-audiophiles-don-t-use-their-equipm

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

maybe - see plisskin's post just above yours

Sure, a shielded cable can be done in precisely 4 ways. Together with unshielded, that makes 5 possible cable constructions. That doesn't even begin to account for the varied reports on how cables supposedly sound.

3 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Me too, exactly. Throws a question over the whole in your face x 30 minute ABX DBT thing.

Nobody ever said a double-blind test, whether ABX or another protocol, must use rapid switching. You're free to wait as long as you please between changes.

(Jud, please spare us your standard reply about the limitations of echoic memory; it's not relevant.)

30 minutes ago, crenca said:

So, if I may sum up the last few pages - basically, jabbr and company is saying that no one has (and no one likely ever will - Big Science is expensive in both time and $money$) do the rigorous science needed to enable anyone to say with any "scientific" confidence that in spec Ethernet cables can not/do not sound different.

Thus, even Big Science is leveraged as part of the Audiophile confidence game, not by its input, but by its absence - all you objectivists don't really understand the very objective ground you argue from.  And the status quo goes on and on and on...

Consider this, though. If cables really had all these strange properties, don't you think Big Science, or the military, would have looked into it by know. DARPA and its ilk have investigated far weirder things, just in case there was something, e.g. the Stargate project.

20 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

At least the Ethernet cable argument has some legs as different cables may affect the Ethernet PHY differently.

Not if the cable is built to spec. Especially Cat 7 and 8, which are widely touted for audio, leave very little room for variation.

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

The bulk of participants in this nasty thread would demand proof from their own mother !

It's not just John Swenson that you guys demand proof from. It's virtually every C.A. member who makes a subjective claim that you guys believe is impossible. This is often followed by calling the poster/s delusional.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=POIDH

30 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The noise, misbehaviour is not below audibility - that's why 'difficult' recordings sound unpleasant on less capable systems: the signal is of a type that 'stresses' the circuitry, misbehaviour is of a high order - and the impact is obvious in the observed sound. If one is familiar with how such a recording comes across with competent playback then it is trivial to discern when an audio system is faulty.

So devise a test signal that "stresses" the system to an extreme extent.

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

Ask SankyK under what conditions he would accept that his hypothesis that music files having identical checksums can sound different, depending on his past history, would be demonstrably wrong.  His answer is fairly telling.

I thought his answer basically amounted to "waaaaaaah."