IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

@JohnSwenson,  How much leakage current are we talking about here?  Suppose I have a SMPS rated at 40 µA  (yes micro) of leakage current, at this rate I would presume that I would not need to worry about it at all?  This SMPS made positive subjective improvement when used to power the router which connects directly to my Rendu(s) with the output floating, maybe just because of reduced leakage current (of course this is a high end SMPS with low output noise characteristics as well).

I have another SMPS (20W, 9V) rated for .78 mA leakage current, would that be enough to cause concern?  Maybe I'll build this one up into a Rendu supply, and apply a switch to ground (or not) the output for testing purposes...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

12 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Like with ethernet cables USB cables clearly sounds best with a floating shield a la JSSG IMO. The problem occurs if the shield is connected to the plugs. 

I prefer using my cables without ferrite cores since they could dampen the sound. I choose to use JSSG, grounding, starquads and cable distance instead.

As with most things, this will be system dependent.  Where the USB shell is terminated, and where the USB ground is terminated will matter, as I would expect so will whether or not USB in the receiver is isolated.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

@Cornan, I am sure this is covered in the crazy tweak thread, but I am curious how you "isolate" network/computer gear grounds from audio system grounds?  All grounds in your home (should) be connected to single point ground reference.  Or have you placed a separate ground rod rod into the earth, actually having two ground references for your home?  I know some actually do place a separate ground rod for the audio system, but I am pretty sure this violates the NEC in the US for domestic homes.

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, agladstone said:

My thoughts exactly! I have all these nice Ghent cables I’ve ordered with the Canare 4s6 and Oyiade plugs and now I have a bunch of cheap screw on DC plugs (female and male) that I’ve wired and screwed together myself and I keep thinking I’m negating the benefits of the oyiade plugs 

I have one of the Oiyade DC plugs here...  While it certainly is nicely made, I do not see anything about it which would give it an actual performance advantage over a good Switchcraft part.  Sure it has gold plate (almost certainly thin gold flash over a nickel base) but at DC the current is going to be traveling through the base metal anyway.  And the base metal is brass or bronze and not copper.

I have never been able to find any DC barrel plugs made with copper, too bad, as the part seems like it could easily be made from copper...

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Or, just a DAC with good, well done, linear power supplies.

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
9 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yes that completely destroys the optical isolation. The shunt is there to shunt high impedance leakage from SMPS over Ethernet cable. So in this case you would never need it on the TP-Link, since the optical prevents it from going downstream. You only need it on the OM IF it is powered from an SMPS.

John S.

What he said...  I power my oMdeluxe with a high performance linear power supply, with the output floating.  This is on the "dirty" side (server, router, switch, etc) of my components in my workroom.  By powering the (critical) sending oMdeluxe by a floating linear supply, it is also well isolated from the noise produced on the power line by the computer gears.  The the optical fiber runs to the audio system (Signature Rendu SEoptical).  I also use a noise reducing Sablon Ethernet cable for the critical copper run to the oMdeluxe to keep noise coming in on the cable down as much as possible.  Note that the Sablon Ethernet cables, despite having expensive Telegartner connectors, do not have their shields connected to the connector bodies, so they do not create a ground connection between Ethernet points (unlike many other cables made with metal body connectors).

SONORE computer audio