IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Wow, I am curious at what sound pressure level this is being listened to at the listening position? Do either of you have a SPL meter or can use a SPL meter app on your phone as a rough indicator?

I only managed to get the limiter to kick in on some very bass heavy tracks approaching maximum output. That's perceived as 4 times louder than reference level of 83 db SPL...

So what are folks measuring SPL wise?

• 9 months later...

Nothing in the REW files as I am talking about the direct sound. I can only attribute the difference to the overall electronic design and perhaps, "unique to the implementation used in the Kii THREE is a combined voltage/current control loop that goes beyond merely a better amp – it actively improves the distortion performance of the drive units which contributes significantly to the extreme resolution of the speaker."

Don't know exactly what that means 🙂, but one would need an anechoic chamber and associated mic, preamp, ADC that has low enough distortion to be able to measure properly to confirm.

Dryer sound - less distortion is my best guess, given the electronics quote. That's what is fundamentally different compared to the 8c. "According to Putzeys, distortion of loudspeaker drivers can be optimized by varying the amplifier’s output resistance for different frequency ranges. This requires an amplifier that is specifically tuned to the parameters of the loudspeaker driver. An amplifier like this can never be a commercial good-for-all piece of equipment. They have to be tailor made, and this is what was done for the Kii Three." From Audioxpress's excellent review

1 hour ago, Bernstein said:

Thanks a lot! 
And also thanks for your cool tracks you use for testing. If you have a list of them, it would be nice to share them. We have a joint KII Playlist curated by @firedog on Tidal, so we can add some songs to the collection :)

A partial list here: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/nad-viso-hp50-with-roomfeel-headphone-review-r720/#subjective

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, TheStupidOne said:

Regarding subs;

I'm currently using Minidsp 4x10hd for connections, volume control, timing, eq and crossover. In my case I don't use the subs as subs, I use them as bass speakers crossed over at 200 hz. This "necessitates" running them as stereo and properly time aligned with the corresponding speaker.

All that said, I think I would change the 4x10hd for something else in order to better the S/N ratio and to get a bit more PEQ bands to fiddle with, maybe the new SHD studio? Or perhaps OpenDrc so I can load Audiolense filters to it?

@mitchco - any thoughts/suggestions here? I would only need digital outputs.

Hello, @TheStupidOne perhaps a little diagram or words to describe your end to end signal path with type of connections. If using computer with Audiolense, Audiolense can also be used for digital XO duties as well (highly recommended). What convolution engine are you using? The issue with OpenDRC and the like, is the limited number of FIR filter taps. Typically around 6000 taps per channel, whereas on the PC, 65,536 taps (or even double) are available and required if you want deep bass room correction. Have you asked Bernt if Audiolense will take the 90ms of delay into consideration if using Audiolense XO with subs? Also, curious about the 200 Hz XO point. The Kii THREE's cardioid capabilities go right down to 80 Hz, which would seem more of natural XO point for the subs, so you can still take advantage of the cardioid response of the THREE's...

How are you measuring distortion? At the listening position? If so, then unfortunately, the room dominates below Schroeder and likely not getting real distortion numbers... Distortion of speakers needs to be measured at 1 meter distance and ideally outdoors using a ground plane measurement. Also, does the mic come with a distortion spec? There are only a handful of mics that spec distortion. Earthworks, DPA, B&K and http://www.isemcon.com/datasheets/EMX7150-US-r04.pdf  for example. Most measurement mics are good at measuring frequency response, but not so good measuring distortion (including the mic I am using right now).

The Kii's have fantastic directivity down to 80 Hz and designed to avoid SBIR and it is worth the time spending with the measurement mic to take multiple sweeps while adjusting boundary eq to get the smoothest response from the THREE's first in your room (maybe you have already done that). Then bring in the subs. Yah, it could be that the -3 dB point in your room is 30 Hz, but subs are supposed to, you know... sub 🙂 If you still want to offload, then I would start at 80 Hz and work your way down from there...

@TheStupidOne Excellent! I bet it does sound great! 😉

1 hour ago, TheStupidOne said:

It should be noted that my subs are not exactly subs and they are placed right next to the Kiis

Ah, I missed this, I get what you are doing now.

Are you using TTD in Audiolense?

If you are still up for an experiment, pick either the 80 Hz or 200 Hz XO and like in the graphs above, at the same SPL, move the mic from the LP a foot closer (or 2 or 3 ft whatever) towards the side you are measuring and take another measurement. You may want to take 2 to 4 measurements towards the speakers before you are like 3 feet in front of the Kii and sub.

If the shape of the distortion curve stays the same, but simply goes up in level, one can conclude you are measuring the speakers (and microphones) distortion. If the distortion changes with each mic position, then it is the room (sometimes combo standing waves and noise floor). Have you plotted the rooms noise floor? Also, have a quick look at what JohnM wrote and check out the link to the help file: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/noise-floor-seems-too-high.1732/#post-15970

Congrats again. good job!

Hi @aps no, I would always recommend a high pass or better yet, a linear phase digital XO between sub(s) and mains.  A linear phase XO sums properly both in the frequency and time domain. So yes, with a multi-channel soundcard or DAC, AL or Acourate digital XO would be used to manage low/high pass to subs and Kii's. Similar to what is done in this article: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-academy/ integrating-subwoofers-with-stereo-mains-using-audiolense-r712/

The trick is to find the best XO point and this is where the room comes into play. In my case linked above, my mains have good output to 40 Hz or a bit below (i.e. the -3 dB point in the room). Using tools like https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc I have a large room mode, right at 40 Hz. So to offset that, I chose 45 Hz as being inbetween room modes for my XO point.

In the case of the Kii's and @TheStupidOne setup, is using additional woofers to supplement the Kii's. Turned out good! There are no hard and fast rules. However, if using a traditional "sub(s)" with the Kii's, I would take Kii's advice (and mine) of finding the -3 dB point in-room of the mains (whatever they are) and cross there.

• 2 weeks later...