The EITR is a new product from SCHIIT, a USB to S/PDIF converter. Schiit, never a company to ignore, make some very bold claims ... quote:- "And so, as of now, you can throw away your perfecters and hyperstreamliners and cleaners and recombobulators, and, yes, even that gold-plated yak hair USB cable. Because, as of today, USB is, well, solved.". 

I would be interested in simplifying the front-end of my system and replacing it with a single, do-it-all box ... and all for $179.

Does anyone yet have any impressions of using the EITR and comparison to, say, a Singxer F-1 converter ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

Yes, I was thinking that. Currently, I have a Armature Hercate DDC (european version of the Singxer F-1) feeding off a microRendu, which is powered by the LPS-1, so the DDC should be getting 'clean-ish' power from that. What I'd really like to know is whether the EITR would be an improvement in that chain ... replacing my current DDC ? Alternatively, in the interest of reducing 'box clutter', I could go MacMini (with Audirvana+3) > EITR straight to the DAC. However, would the SQ not be as good as via the microRendu ? 

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

That's interesting to know ... although surprising, to me anyway. There must be some good isolation in the EITR to achieve that, I guess.

Thank-you for the link ... i'll read and inwardly digest ! Who is @Torq ? 

Oh, OK. I did think about an Yggy, but settled on a GMB/MJ2 pair just for headphones. USB was fine until I tried the F-1 S/PDIF converter, which improved things significantly. So, I've stayed with that since ... now the EITR is announced. Things are moving very fast in this hobby last few months ! Thanks for your help and input.

Just a further thought ... does anyone have any experience of using the Uptone ISO Regen together with the EITR ?

EDIT: I mean in front of the EITR ?

According to the SBAF Eitr thread (above, which I've just read thru), there is no discernible difference by putting anything else in a PC/Mac > EITR path. So, my last question may be answered.

Yes, I have thought about that. It's the insured shipping cost from France>UK to get that done is a consideration for me ... could easily be another €100 couriered. That, coupled with the fact that I heard such an improvement (to my ears) thru GMB's S/PDIF input (over its USB) is keeping me on that path. I've not really heard a consensus that Gen 5 USB is better now than S/PDIF ... Perhaps there is no difference.... I'm not sure.

Just 'woken up' this side of the pond and amazed at the responses and suggestions. Thank-you to everyone for their input ... very interesting indeed. 

Two key take-aways for me ... so far:-

1. The Gen 5 USB input is exactly the same on EITR and on the upgrade card for the Shiit DACs. So, in principle, there should be no SQ differences any more on my GMB between USB & S/PDIF that I had previously experienced. I will consider that route but am loath to ship the GMB at more cost if I can get the same result from an EITR, extra cabling notwithstanding.

2. Both Schiit's claims and general consensus is that the EITR is ambivalent about what feeds its USB signal, due to its high degree of isolation. The result in SQ is broadly similar, if not the same. That's a bit of a bombshell with regards to all the micro/ultraRendu, Singxer, Uptone, etc. fixes that I, and many others, have been using to date. It seems that any differences that there might be are small and difficult to discern. I'm not sure that my ageing ears are up to that kind of difference. Equally importantly is that it's all in one box and one power supply at a reasonable price.

EDIT: I would be interested in hearing about any further combination tests.

As an aside, and to be fair, the 'rendu' family still have a key role if you are interested a solution that does not rely on a computer being switched on or if you are a Roon user. There is a convenience factor for me if I switch the computer off and want to control my music from my armchair using just a phone or tablet. It's good to know that the EITR is not 'fussy' about what's feeding it to still be able to achieve that.

7 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I hear people diss S/PDIF all the time - not that such internet comments are valid, but is S/PDIF problematic?

Not wishing to start a USB vs S/PDIF 'war', I understand that on some DACs, S/PDIF is preferable to USB, despite the fact that it is an old (mature ?) technology. Certainly this is true in my case (to my ears) with the GMB. I get the impression that both technologies are 'problematic' to varying degrees and perhaps S/PDIF's maturity is to it's benefit. Perhaps now Schiit has reduced, or even eliminated, USB's problems with Gen5. It's rather good that one can use either route depending on personal preferences with little or no SQ differences with Gen5 Direct USB or EITR.

19 minutes ago, cfisher said:

Oh, I love my microrendu and ultrarendu. The only difference any of this makes for me is that I may opt for a direct connection for my headphone system which is in the same room as my computer.

Indeed !! ... Thinking about uses for the EITR, I have another smaller setup in the office ... just a cheap(ish) Aune DAC/AMP, whose S/PDIF input is better (to me) ... so, EITR may fit the bill there. I'll also use this smaller system as a 'transportable' when I go away.

Ok ... so, Schiit UK have some EITR's in stock now and I've ordered one. Will be interesting to make some personal comparisons in my setup to prove the claims and concensi ... just for my own self satisfaction and because I can.

My intial comparisons will be as follows:-

1. MacMini > Singxer F-1 with UpTone LPS-1 versus EITR > GMB

2. microRendu with UpTone LPS-1 > Singxer F-1 versus EITR > GMB

I expect No.1 will be no contest ... EITR, by all accounts, should win that ... but for me the No.2 could be an interesting test especially compared to MacMini > EITR > GMB.

Just now, Ralf11 said:

I look forward to your audition.  Can you do blind testing?

And are you in France?

Can I trust my partner to carry out the test for me ? Some training may be in order ! Need to watch the LPS-1 voltage settings  when switching from mR to F-1.

Yes I am.

Interesting impressions @Speed Racer  An EITR is on its way to me ... I'll be keen to see what it sounds like with a microRendu, compared to the F-1. Currently, this sounds very good in my setup, and best so far, particularly using the new Audirvana release streaming to the mR.

EITR now received ... it's tiny !

After about 2 hours warm up I decided to try it out. Bill Frisell's Small Town (24/96) I consider to be one of the more challenging albums in my collection. There are lingering guitar tones on track one that Bill lets 'ring' (using his amplification to effect). It's this decaying 'ring' between notes that some equipment 'muddle up'. The EITR presents these tones in a very well defined and satisfying way. I'm not left wondering that I may be missing anything. Thomas Morgan's double bass is also challenging but again wonderfully represented.

EITR is an accomplished performer and I will do a more detailed audition against the Singxer F-1 and directly from the MacMini, although on my initial listening thru the microRendu is very favourable.

@pas ... I'll PM you

1 hour ago, lasker98 said:

Looking forward to reading your report. ....

I should be able to write it up tomorrow ... I'm putting together some listening notes that I will summarize. Thank-you for the link and I'll look at it after I've done.

8 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

....But I ordered one because it doesn't break the bank....

Yes, indeed ! Look forward to your views.

Not many (any ?) would disagree with you @PorkChop . Until audio over ethernet becomes more mainstream (and cheaper) we're stuck with it. In the meantime, EITR is an affordable(ish), good quality solution.

I came across a small anomaly with the microRendu and EITR. Last night I had to power down my system and when powering back up, the mR would not reconnect to the EITR. The recommended way to power up is to switch on the DAC first before the mR. However, I discovered that switching on the mR first, and letting it fully boot up, BEFORE switching on the EITR, the connection worked.

A thick, metre long USB cable coming from the microRendu to the EITR is not very visually appealing. I then remembered the mR came with a very short hard adapter. The design of the mR lends itself to be mounted on a USB port using this. So, I got rid of the cable and it will look better when I install this in my rack. Soundwise, it's certainly not worse than with a regular cable ... if anything it's slightly better ... it all helps. I also remember reading somewhere that USB connections should be as short as possible ... can't get any shorter than this !

_DSC2269.thumb.jpg.98498dc073ce43261de51024042b8ad2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Did you try anything in the chain between the microrendu and the eitr, for example an isolator or a reclocker.

No, nothing at this stage ... I'm not entirely convinced it will add anything significant SQ-wise, in view of the design of the EITR itself. It sounds very satisfying to me as it is with the mR, which does output a quality signal itself. 

That would be great. Is that the original Regen or the ISO model ... or something else ?