IGNORED

10 grand - what set up would you recommend?

For that sort of money I'm sure you have plenty options. 

I'd lean towards the Antipodes but you want to listen to them before committing that kind of cash. 

Not sure but didn't think the Innuos servers do Roon out of the box. But could be wrong. Antipodes have put a lot of work into Roon compatibility. 

Depending on how much space you have on your rack then perhaps the new Signature Rendu (power supply and ultraRendu in one rack size box) and a server would be an option. 

My only other suggestion would be research which input format your DAC is best with and factor that into your final choice. 

Happy hunting! 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Hi @Madra

Yeah that DCS network bridge is interesting. Good shout. 

Could go for the likes of the QNAP HS-251+ and a 1TB SSD or 2. I have one of these and it's rack friendly, silent and capable of running Roon core. 

Or partner the DCS a more powerful NAS, possibly out of the listening room connected with ethernet or fibre. 

I'm sure a shoot out between the Antipodes DX and the DCS bridge & NAS would be interesting! 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

18 minutes ago, Madra said:

I missed that usb limitation. Thanks for the update.

that said, I would not bother with USB if I can have a good SPDIF signal. 

I think it comes down (to a large extent anyway) what input the Ops DAC performs best with. 

I have the PS Audio Directstream and as per its designer, Ted Smith, it's optimal input is I2S. I invested in an I2S input (SU-1 over HDMI) and it was money very well spent. 

6 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

In that case, how about the newly announced Sonore unit: http://www.sonore.us/signature-rendu-se.html just connect to your DAC via USB and you'll struggle to better that TBH.

I had read the Ops question about the one box solution and is that a big compromise as meaning that they need a server and storage as well. The Signature looks good but it's a high spec end-point and won't run Roon core or host the files. 

@bigblue can you confirm you're looking for storage & server to provide Roon into your DAC? 

I suspect that one of the reasons so many, like myself, end up with the 6 box solution is the relatively low prices and ability to incrementally add to or tweak such set ups. I mean as opposed to the far higher entry point of the Antipodes DX you mentioned. Whether the 6 box setup beats the Antipodes for SQ is a far harder question. Antipodes are well renouned for putting a lot of intensive effort into SQ because everything matters and even more so in a one box solution. 

The DCS is also in that premium bracket but you'd still need the music files stored on a NAS or server. 

Just one other point and I hope this doesn't sound condescending but most of the 6 box solution sits behind the rack or often behind other equipment on the rack. The Microrendu is tiny. Likewise the UpTone Audio LPS-1 is pretty small. In my setup the the two LPS-1 sit behind my Directstream DAC and are only visible if you peek round the side. The Microrendu literally floats behind the rack suspended by the ethernet and USB cables going in and out of it. Again only visible if you look for it. And my SU-1 sits proudly on top of my DAC. So it's the only visible item taking up rack space from the front. 

Of course there's also a server. Currently a NAS but I'm awaiting a replacement (the Audiostore Prestige 2). I'm going to put this on the rack as there is room but could also tuck it behind the rack. Or even out of sight or indeed the room with a run of fibre. 

None of this is to dissuade you from your one box preference if that remains your preference. Just saying that a lot of the "6 box" solutions are more like accessories than full rack shelf items. Tho before I incur any wrath I'm pretty sure some people will give the 6 boxes pride of place and prominent rack space. Plenty options for sure. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

On 7/24/2017 at 2:44 AM, bigblue said:

Nucleus i7 - 1700 Euro

4 GB SSD - 1500 Euro

SOtM sPS-500 PSU for Nucleus - 700 Euro

Ethernet cable 400 Euro

SOtM 200 Ultra - 1400 Euro

SOtM sPS-500 PSU w Y-conector - 900 Euro

USB cable 400 Euro

tX USBultra reclocker -1000 Euro

USB cable 400 Euro

TOTAL: 8400 Euro

Interesting. Made me stop and think. Actually made me stop and think, shit I coulda bought an Antipodes!! :S

The maths doesn't stack up in my case though. And that's with a complicated setup:

MicroRendu   £660
LPS-1   £425
LPS-1   £425
ISO Regen    £325
SU-1   £400
Audiostore Prestige2 with 1TB SSD  £1500

So even with fancypants cables still closer to 4k than 8k. And again it was the incremental additions that ramped this up. I certainly didn't set out with the intention of adding a DDC (the SU-1) or a UBS reclocker (the ISO Regen). These were impulse purchases added later.

Your case is different by the sounds of things as you want to go 'all in' with whatever route you choose.

Am afraid I can't help here as it comes down to choosing what suits you best. The flexibility to modify and tweak if you go the multi-component route vs the aesthetically more pleasing single box (and perhaps the peace of mind of knowing that someone else has done all the configuration to get the one box sounding sweet). It's a personal choice one mate.

One thing I can add that's not categorical. Roon with Tidal rocks :x The ability to browse and find new music. To audition stuff before perhaps buying. And just the way the two integrate are awesome and add so much to the digital experience.

For the USB cable check out this thread on the new Lush cable. I took the plunge and it's great. And was just shy of 300 euro including VAT and shipping:

Happy hunting and let us know how you get on with whatever you decide. Should be an enjoyable journey.

Cheers,

Alan

• 3 months later...

I have the PS Audio Directstream and the Bridge II network card and they are a VERY good DAC and endpoint combo.

I am a big fan of Paul McGowan, Ted Smith and the PSA team in general. Their ethos and the support they provide is truly excellent. I would heartily recommend this product to anyone. It should be an 'end-game' product especially when paired with a good server. 

The fact that they are continuing to release software updates that further improves this DAC is also phenomenal. For the time being it future proofs you and prevents you being left with an obsolete bit of kit.

Should tho is arbitrary in this game and what can I say. I wanted and still want 'more'.

I found I could squeeze a further improvement (on an already excellent SQ) by using (an over-complicated) setup that currently comprises the MicroRendu, the ISO Regen and the Singxer SU-1 (to feed the Directstream it's preferred format of I2S). The improvement is small but significant. That said I'm a bit fed up with the 'spaghetti' mix of power supplies and cables.

I'm also intrigued by the so called SOTM Trifecta but replacing one mess of cables with another is putting me off going down that road.

I'm therefore seriously considering the Innuos Zenith SE (as it's getting great praise) as a 'one-box' alternative to my current server>MR>IR>SU-1 to DAC digital pathway. It's not cheap but I'm hopeful that the combo of kick-ass server and kick-ass DAC finally quells the audiophilia nervosa and lets me relax a bit and enjoy the music.

For 10k ballpark I think you could do a lot worse than these two.

The new Antipodes DX Gen 3 is also intriguing but it's USB only for output whereas the Zenith SE has both USB and Ethernet output which is somewhat more flexible and future proof.

That said - it's not lost on me that the nature of this hobby being what it is that there's nothing to stop me from splashing a further 6k on the Zenith ZE and then still reinstating the IR, the SU-1 or the latest/greatest gizmo :P 

But then life would be dull if we could get the definitive 'this is the best possible kit' answer that Beer seems to be on such a quest to find!

Anyways - just my experience and thoughts based on my own journey.

Cheers,

Alan

10 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

On a side note, does the direct stream allow you to turn off hardware upsampling

No offence intended here but it's comments like this that seem to be getting you into arguments on so many of your posts. You make this virtue of not wanting to understand/research stuff in favour of just peppering all these random questions at people.

In this instance you've neglected to take a moment to look at the Directstream because you clearly don't understand what it is. The 'Directstream' name comes from DSD (Direct Stream Digital) and the mechanism for how this DAC functions is to break PCM or DSD down and then upsample it to x20 DSD.

So sure, to disable hardware upsampling there is a power off button at the back :/

Cool - no worries. 

But no you cannot turn off upsampling on the DS because upsampling to DSD is what it is all about.

FWIW I don't particularly care about DSD as a format and don't own a lot of native DSD. I bought this DAC based on the SQ (not DSD format) and it's excellent. But yes, it's a high price.

That Lumin D2 on your latest post also looks very nice.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @firedog

Yeah I saw your thread about Zenith or SSR. 

First impressions on the Zenith are very positive and it sounds very good out of the box. But I have it playing constantly with the amp off to let it burn in. Gimme a few days and I'll post observations on SQ. 

Current spaghetti is Microrendu on LPS-1, ISO Regen and Singxer SU-1 both sharing an LPS-1. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

PS that spaghetti may not sound too complicated but factor in an ethernet into the Microrendu, two meanwells powering the two LPS-1s, 2 DC cables, a Lush USB cable, a USPCB doofer and an I2S cable. Once you consider all that then the digital path between my server and DAC consists of 13 items. 

So bolognese it might not be, but spaghetti it definitely is. 

Fair and very relevant question. 

No, it does not sound bad. In fact it sounds very good. But I wanted that elusive 'more'. 

I started off streaming from a QNAP NAS. I added a server for Roon and DSP. I added the Microrendu to find out for myself if the 'product of the year' hype was justified. I added the SU-1 as I read a post by Ted Smith (the genius behind the Directstream) that I2S was the Directstreams optimal format. I added the ISO Regen based on the rave reviews. 

Greed or quest for perfection. I dunno. 

Most but not all of these tweaks made a small improvement. Whether each justified its cost is a different matter. 

I will say this. Going from that setup to NAS directly to Directstream via Bridge 2 was a definite drop. But then that pathway also cuts the entire spaghetti additions out. 

A wiser man than me would stick with the Directstream and bridge and be very happy with it. Unfortunately I'm still chasing more. 

2 hours ago, firedog said:

And that makes you the perfect guy to tell us about an item like the Innuos.

Oh - pressure! ^_^

I'll do my best.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I'm hoping to get my hands on a Zenith SE in a few weeks, and see why Roy likes it so much.

Hey Rajiv, 

Yeah I saw you were following/participating in that thread. 

Would love to get your opinion on the SE. Especially as you're already so experienced with the Trifecta. Would make an excellent comparison. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Also FWIW I suspect or expect the Trifecta with external clock such as Mutec or your Cybershaft (@austinpop) to be better. 

For me my priority and hope is that the SE is pretty close to that. And hopefully one of the best 'one box' solutions. 

But time will tell I guess. 

9 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

He says in the review that it outperforms the Ultrarendu?  Link please?

edit to add, had to google....i really like the idea of the rendu and sotm, but i also prefer single box solution without usb interface..sure enough review says outperforms rendu ultra....darn the price....maybe they will make one without the transport where they can lower the price some?!

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/10/richer-sounds-with-the-innuos-zenith-mkii-se/

Hi @beerandmusic,

It's not the transport that's causing the price it's the power supply. 

Take a look at the Innuos site. Next model down from the Special Edition is the Zenith MKII (which I am currently trying and very impressed with) at less than half the price. £2300 instead of £5000 (not sure what the price is in Trumpian dollars B|). 

Lower still down the range are the Zen and Zen mini models coming in at fairly modest pricing. 

Re the transport. The CD drive is not functionality I required or particular wanted. I would not have selected a spinning disc drive if I was ordering ala carte. But hey ho, it comes with it and I ripped two discs yesterday and its definitely handy. Pop the disc in. It rips to FLAC, obtains the metadata and ejects the disc a couple minutes later. Literally couldn't be easier. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

10 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

He says in the review that it outperforms the Ultrarendu?  Link please?

edit to add, had to google....i really like the idea of the rendu and sotm, but i also prefer single box solution without usb interface..sure enough review says outperforms rendu ultra....darn the price....maybe they will make one without the transport where they can lower the price some?!

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/10/richer-sounds-with-the-innuos-zenith-mkii-se/

Hi @beerandmusic,

It's not the transport that's causing the price it's the power supply. 

Take a look at the Innuos site. Next model down from the Special Edition is the Zenith MKII (which I am currently trying and very impressed with) at less than half the price. £2300 instead of £5000 (not sure what the price is in Trumpian dollars B|). 

Lower still down the range are the Zen and Zen mini models coming in at fairly modest pricing. 

Re the transport. The CD drive is not functionality I required or particular wanted. I would not have selected a spinning disc drive if I was ordering ala carte. But hey ho, it comes with it and I ripped two discs yesterday and its definitely handy. Pop the disc in. It rips to FLAC, obtains the metadata and ejects the disc a couple minutes later. Literally couldn't be easier. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

So I promised @firedog some early observations on the Zenith MKII that I received and installed on Wednesday.

Put simply,  I am very impressed.

As back story I have ordered a Zenith SE but it won't be available until late January and I'm using the Zenith MKII as a temporary solution until then. I opted for the the SE largely on the rave reviews including the Darko review that Beer posted above and Roys review on Head-Fi where he compared it very favourably to the DCS Network Bridge and fairly favourably to the sCLK-EX server or Trifecta solutions. Anyway in that review Roy talks about the SE as having "grip and authority". That's very interesting because if I was to describe the MKII in one word,  that word would be "control". 

I want to reiterate my praise for the work that Andrew does with the Sonictransporter and Martin does with the Prestige. Both are excellent servers for the money and sound great. I may have had issues with mine but I think that's an exception and not the general experience. But I had no complaints whatsoever with the all important SQ and I would still recommend these products to interested parties. 

That said for approximately an extra 50‰ outlay the Zenith MKII raises the bar on SQ. The word control just keeps coming back when I'm listening. The music sounds great, there is plenty detail and a great sense of image. But there just seems to be a real sense of control. I'm very impressed and that's at only a few days burn-in. 

I've been playing with both ethernet (Ghent so called JSSG 30 usd 1m cable) into my Directstreams Bridge 2. And with USB (Lush 70cm cable) into the USB input on the Directstream and I can't hear any real difference. Both sound great to me and even switching zones from one to another mid track sound identically great. 

Firedog I haven't heard the Sonore Signature Rendu so I can't offer a comparison as per your other thread. But I can say that based on what I've heard so far the Zenith MKII suggests that the need for an end-point is largely removed as the SQ out of the box is terrific. 

Will be very interesting and exciting to find out what margin the SE improves things by. But if I had bought the MKII as a keeper I would not be disappointed because I'm really impressed so far. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Oh, and setup was a breeze. Plugged in ethernet cable from the network switch, ethernet to DAC, USB to DAC and the power cable. Switched it on, went to myinnuos.com on a browser on my laptop which found the server immediately. Set a few simple settings. Installed Roon and connected to it via my phone. And was up and running. 

Transferring music was a simple drag and drop affair from one folder to another. Laptop to Innuos in my case. Though it supports a couple more options to import from USB drive or NAS. 

The unit is very nice too. More like a hifi component compared to the more computery server it's replacing. 

All very nice and very easy. 

@Speed Racer,

I'm not sure where the confrontational tone is coming from. Firstly, no one is asking you to spend this sort of money but look at the title of the thread and the Ops original question. 

Secondly, I didn't say this was better/worse/indifferent to either the Ultrarendu or SMS-200ultra. I did however say that I was fed up with spaghetti solutions and this server potentially addresses that issue. 

Finally, I disagree re Darkos comment. The point I believe he is trying to make is that people invest loads in a DAC hoping it corrects all the downstream issues and then skimp on the server. So if you have a much better source then perhaps you don't need the DAC to do as much remedial work. Sounds reasonable to me. 

2 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Put your Big Al pants on. What I wrote was direct, not confrontational. 

The DAC does the digital to analog conversion. Whatever it does is carried through the whole chain to your ears. You can’t fix a poor recording and you can’t fix a poor conversion. The D to A conversion must be good or money spent on either side of the DAC is wasted. 

You don’t need spaghetti solutions with products like the ultraRendu. That’s people going crazy with tweaks that don’t really matter.

Big Al pants on and very comfy thank you B|

Yeah but the debate is still one box (kickass server) vs multiple box (server, UltraRendu/SMS-200ultra and decent power supply). So agreed, you don't need to go spaghetti daft with loads of tweaks but it's fundamentally about whether a great server negates the need for additional boxes downstream (renderers, decrapifiers etc and the quality power supplies they need to shine). 

Now my hope is that the SE means that I don't need anything else. However I've read a couple reports that the TX-USB-ultra in between the SE and Chord Dave increases things further. But then you need a SPS-500 or whatever for that. The dilemma never ends!! 

12 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Do you like the MKII better than the Direct Stream that you had before?

Hi Beer, 

The Directstream is my DAC and is very much still in place. The MKII is replacing the server (and spaghetti pathway) that feeds the Directstream. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

41 minutes ago, firedog said:

But Darko did. That's one of the reasons we read reviews. Either you trust him or you don't.

An experienced user on another forum also wrote that the MKII (not SE) clearly outperformed the mR+LPS-1. Yes the MKII is more expensive, but it's an interesting bit of info if someone is  shopping. 

Reading this I realise I could have been clearer. 

The MKII is not only beating my previous server. It's also beating the Microrendu (1.4 hardware upgrade) , ISO Regen and SU-1 combo that I had in place. 

The Directstream is a DAC. 

There is an optional ethernet network bridge card that you can slot in. This is called the Bridge II and turns the Directstream into a streamer or end point. 

The Innuos is a server and has 1TB of storage for storing the files. 

So I have Roon server running on the Innuos and playing/sending music to the Directstream. 

11 minutes ago, limniscate said:

I'm getting the Zenith SE in late December.

Hey Eric, 

Fantastic. Will be eager to hear your thoughts. Especially exciting given your first hand experience and experiments with the Trifecta. 

Cheers, 

Alan