IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

12 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

As far as I can tell that is a list of products owned by people that think any cable Peter will sell them is the best thing they have ever heard.....

There's a lot of mid-end on that list....Stuff that could likely be mated with associated gear that a listener may not not be able to discern a difference.

8 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

either somebody needs to rip one of these things apart to find out what's inside, or they need to X-ray it

or use x-ray crystallography

Why? I'm sure that comparative listening will be fine. No reason to go any further....

14 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

I demand it with my money. It's in everyone's financial interest to do the same. If you want to believe the marketing hype it's your prerogative,  but don't be surprised if you are paying for some oil from a certain slithering reptile.

Except that rarely happens. "Snake oil" or fraud is so incredibly rare, that it essentially doesn't happen. And of course, what you call "marketing hype" gets proven or disproven all the time by either an enhanced listening experience or not. The goal isn't some kind of objective effectiveness,  like does that car actually go 0 to 60 in 40 seconds, but does this item help MY WHOLE SYSTEM make the instruments on Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" seem more realistic and powerful? It's easy to take an individual out of context.

There's no way that an USB cable change is ever going to affect a Sony boombox (whose plastic speakers separate), in the same way that a LAMM/Avalon/Meitner will. (Those are extreme examples, - but an illustration of what is, and what isn't in context).

Many of these products also offer a money back guarantee, - something that you never get with Gucci purse or a Ferrari

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

It may not be paid advertising but it falls into my definition of marketing because Alex is communicating to his market (us) the message that his products are so good that he doesn't need to buy ads.

What product did he mention? Did he mention uptone audio at all? So, - in other words, - Alex shouldn't be allowed to post here at all? Because someone might possibly click on his moniker and find out that he is a manufacturer? Otherwise, how would anyone know? I am willing to bet that at least someone read Alex's post without knowing that he's a manufacturer. With respect, - that is a stretch that I find silly.

Of course, this is Chris' site, with his rules, and he finds manufacturer participation of value. Whether you or i agree is just something that we'll have to live with. And finally, (silly also to continue with this), I would hazard that there are more than 50 manufacturers who post all over these forums.... Like us, - they're all audio enthusiasts who are really into good sound, and enhancing the listening experience. (READ: NOT INTO MAKING MONEY IN THE MARKETPLACE).

For if they were, - they'd be in another field entirely......

4 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Marketing is simply communicating with your market. It can be done in a number of ways including paid advertising or by simply posting messages here that raise your credibility with your target market. 

The fact that you didn't pick on the subtle message that Alex was conveying doesn't mean it wasn't marketing.

Whether he realized it or not, Alex was using Cialdini's principle of Social Proof in his message. I suggest that you, or anyone else interested in the subject, read Cialdini's book, Influence.

Chris requires manufacturers to identify themselves like Alex is doing in his signature. He also allows them to engage in other forms of marketing such as buying banner ads and sponsoring forums. The fact that many (like Alex) pay him for these additional marketing opportunities indicates that their participation here is not always just because they are fellow audiophiles.

Hi,

I equate marketing with selling. I think that we may disagree on how we define marketing. I am not interested in the principle of Social Proof. I can say that though that once we start attaching different meanings to the same words, we run the risk of communication breakdown. No way that you are going to convince me that merely posting on a subject means that Alex is selling a particular product.

Finally, - and this is something that I forgot to mention, - isn't there a rule that prevents from manufacturers/designers from selling outside a designated area? In the area designed for such, they can, - outside that area, - they are just another enthusiast.

35 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Within the field of business, sales and marketing are related but separate fields and are typically performed by different people within a corporation.

I would consider what Alex was doing marketing (communicating with his market) but not really sales as he was making no overt attempt to sell his product.

I used the term "Social Proof" in the way that marketers understand it and the way Cialdini uses it in his book, Influence.

Thanks for your explanation. I understand better what you mean here.