IGNORED

Would forum members chip in $$ for a USB analyzer

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Regarding 1,2 and 3 (scope , spectrum analyzer. vector analyzer) there is overlap among the 3 and each tool is used for different applications or may have specs that are tuned for a specific measurement.

(short answer : lots of stuff)

a high resolution scope can do eye-patterns for example. Maybe you'd do 4 gsps for 1-2 Ghz resolution but at 8 - 12 bits. : realtime info

spectrum analyzer: FFT plots so my old HP 3561a 125 microHz to 100 kHz at 640 micro Gz intervals -- thus also forms part if a really really close in phase noise measurement (using a really good phase comparitor) -- generally great for looking at harmonics : non realtime info

vector analyzer: eg HP 89441a -- all in one phase noise much faster & quicker & easier

newer packages are digital & have special software modules to automate measurements -- this is less than scratching the surface :) 

I have a mint 3561A yea with the bubble memory. It's a great piece for testing low noise analog stuff. I also have a Stanford SR760 which is a little better. The problem is getting the phase noise into these.

I have a Symmetricom phase noise analyzer that we use for testing crystals and oscillators. It's got a custom downloadable FPGA in it and a 10MHZ super low phase noise reference in it. We get good plots to 1Hz with this. Before we had that it was kind of hit and miss using a boat load of reference stuff.

Thanks,
Gordon