2 hours ago, rickca said:

Terrific post, very helpful.

John, when you have some more time ... SOtM claims there's an advantage to having the 4 clocks on an sCLK-EX board share an internal reference oscillator.  IOW these clocks are in some sense synchronized even though the 4 outputs can be programmed to different frequencies.

Does this make sense to you?

@romaz please advise if I have misinterpreted what SOtM has said about this.

Yes they definitely are synchronized, there is one PLL that syncs to the reference clock then four fractional/N dividers, since the dividers all run off the same PLL they definitely are all synchronized, whether this is a good thing is debatable. It is good in the sense that you will not have any low frequency beat frequencies between clock outputs due to outputs wandering relative to each other, but noise from each output will tend to directly add since they are all in the same point in the phase noise from the PLL. Independent sources do not directly add since they are not at the same point in the phase noise. I don't really want to go into more detail on this, it is a 20 page dissertation and I really don't have the time now to do that.  

Neither of these things is probably that important.

John S.

9 hours ago, Confused said:

I was a little confused when I first read this.  in point 1, 'integer multiple of a word clock' you state 'DACs frequently have two of these', then you state 'very few DACs actually use word clocks any more'.  Am I correct in interpreting this as that point 1 is more generally referring to older DAC designs, with more modern DAC designs being typically per point 2?

In this point I'm talking about what is internal to the DAC box, not an external connection. Most modern DAC chip circuitry don't actually have a word clock. Remember a word clock is a clock at the actual sample rate. Instead they use a clock that is some multiple of the sample rate, 22.5792 MHz and 24.576 MHz are quite popular these days. These clocks are integer multiples of all the standard audio sample rates. If you take a scope and probe around the traces in most DACs today you will find these, but not the actual sample rates (44.1KHz 96KHz etc)

Older DACs (and a few modern ones) DO you use real word clocks. The problem today with an external word clock signal is that is that since the DAC doesn't use it, the word clock has to go through a complex circuit to generate the clock frequencies above which are actually used.

#1 and #2 are used for completely different things. Look carefully at what I wrote, ALL the numbered points are high frequency clocks, none of them refer to word clocks, I covered that in the paragraph before. #1 are the high frequency clocks used by the DAC chips etc, #2 is used for things like the CPU on the motherboard, USB receiver chips etc, #3 is a reference used by a clock synthesizer to generate #1 or #2 clocks.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, julian.david said:

Between the 50 and 75 ohms outputs, one is not per se better than the other. Use whichever one matches the impedance of the receiving device (DAC, re-clocker, etc.) and make sure you use the same impedance cable in between!

There is a bit of a gotcha with 75 ohm BNC cables. MANY of the cables available "out there" use 75 ohm cable but use 50 ohm BNC plugs!

Several years ago I ordered 12 such cables from different companies and only 4 of them had actual 75 ohm plugs. They all had 75 ohm cable, but only 4 got the right connector.

Several of these were well known cable assemblers and they even got it wrong.

John S.

• 7 months later...

As noted above Pasternack is the place to go for custom RF cables. I recently had some 2 ft 50 ohm cables made using LMR-200-UF (thats the UltraFlex version) I wouldn't call it limp but it is quite a bit more flexible than other cables with similar specs.

They cost $50 each for the custom cables. You can get them in any length you want and over 200 different coax types and MANY different connector combinations.

I had to call them up to get what I wanted, for some reason the web page wouldn't get me what I wanted. Their people on the phone are very knowledgeable and got me what I wanted right away.

If you want good RF cables, just go to Pasternack.

John S.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...