IGNORED

Synergistic Research: SCAM

On 6/15/2022 at 8:30 PM, DrT said:

Why is a demonstration in which a product is added, then removed, as proof of its effect "snake oil salesman tactics"?? ...and how does a money back guarantee stand with products based on "fairy dust and magic"? In a recent conversation with Gordon Rankin (another I consider a genius for his literal invention of digital audio) he related how Mpingo discs transformed the sound of one of his AXPONA rooms a few years ago. Mpingo discs, Shun Mook monks; ummmm okay ...yet a scientific & educated person like Mr Rankin attests that they do indeed work. Audio is a funny endeavor; it is very subjective (the polar opposite of objective). Two different audio components can scientifically measure the same, yet sound very different. How? Two people listen to the same piece of music and one loves it while the other considers it awful. With Synergistic Research products I merely appreciate what they've done in my system, in my listening room, with my ears. They optimized my system and took it to a much higher level.

BTW, I have no dog in this fight. Am not friends with anyone at SR, don't work in the audio biz, get nothing for my opinion (except attacks from the naysayers). I suspect much of the SR attacks are from those who either cannot afford their products or those that require a scientific explanation before they will accept what their ears are telling them. There is also the law of diminishing returns; a $7000 subwoofer will have a much more profound effect on the listening experience than a $7000 SR Vibratron - (so I suggest buying the Vibratron after you already have the sub...). 

Because 2 seconds is not enough time to judge anything. They are classic sales techniques to trick your brain into hearing more than is actually there.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, DrT said:

boytrytis is grossly misinformed. The comparison tests I've witnessed at audio shows were several minutes with, followed by several minutes without, the device in question playing the same piece of music. The listening test at home is... thirty days. Of course if all of this is beyond your ability to afford, or your ability to evaluate, and either case really angers you, it really doesn't matter. 

This was done, THIS YEAR, at AXPONA. They did it exactly the way I described it. My wife will describe it even worse than I did.  I also know others who were with us that will describe it the way I did.

I don't care if anyone spends money with charlatans,  but don't push like it is some amazing invention because it is scientific nonsense.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

3 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Here are few sources of noise that will benefit SQ when cleaned up

Wi-fi devices close to sensitive audio components

SMPSs on the mains supply

Poor quality power supplies

Oscillators (phase noise)

CPUs and Switching chip activity

Circuit board SMPSs

General cable and component leakage

General EMI in the environment 

Network traffic

Proof? Like measurements? In most cases, with sound measurements, our ears are not as sensitive as the measurement equipment (as this was how our ears evolved), same with electrical. Other senses, like touch, smell, taste, and sight, not so much as for example with sight, our eyes are more sensitive to blue light. The picture is a sample of the purified enzyme, I produced for my MS and PhD work. Even though you can see the blue plainly, the instrument (UV-Vis Spectrophotometer) is not as sensitive to these wavelengths as our eyes are. It is an old film pic from 1992-3, so the resolution is not as good, sorry, but you get my point.

Purified laccase.jpg

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

22 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Hi Botrytis, 

Actually no I don't get your point at all. A UV/Vis spectrophotometer is usually employed to do absorbtion measurements based on shining monochromatic light from a source through a sample and a reference cell, one with and one without the solution to be measured and the differential is the absorption spectrum.  What does that have to do with the eye’s sensitivity to blue? 

As I explained, our eyes are more sensitive to blue colour than the instrument is, meaning the colours that come through are yellow and green which we are more sensitive to and makes even small amounts of blue easier to see with the naked eye.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 1 year later...

I think some of the equipment at AXPONA really pushed his buttons. There were many horrid rooms (some of the most expensive equipment too) and some were OK, a few were great. 

I just saw that and had post it here for some reactions. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m all for expressing opinions, and I usually like reading John’s. This specific missive came off differently to me though. I felt like, just make the best stuff you can and sell it on how good you think it is rather than write some strange post about a bunch of other stuff you don’t like or agree with. 

That is why I said - WOW when I posted it - I was flabbergasted. He seemed angry and dismissive - not a good look. I wanted to know I was not the only one thinking that way.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

45 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m all for expressing opinions, and I usually like reading John’s. This specific missive came off differently to me though. I felt like, just make the best stuff you can and sell it on how good you think it is rather than write some strange post about a bunch of other stuff you don’t like or agree with. 

More importantly, I put something up in the who you going to see in concert thread for you 😁

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Saw it and got jealous. I’ll be in Munich when they play MN. 

Just trying to share the wealth here - Have a great Trip to Munich. Ahh to be at the Audio show there. One year.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590