IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

9 hours ago, Jud said:

Not sure if the Teacs have that, but you might explore them.

I have to a small extent and the Teac does have several inputs.  Not sure re a remote.  Actually, my hope is that the new Oppo disc player will have a good DAC in it that I can use for the mac mini and the TV.  Then I just have one other little used analog input (FM tuner).  One aesthetic but non-auditory goal I have is to reduce clutter by not having so many boxes.

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

+1

Over two grand and I have to GET UP?!  I've tried to train myself to be mindful of what input I'm going to listen to before I sit down.  Oh well, first world problem I suppose.

I have lots of 1st world problems...

The odd thing is that remote operation couldn't cost them more than few bucks per unit.  Maybe they thought it was too much Schiit.

The Benchmark DAC has a Volume control - in fact it is a "hybrid" Volume control for both digital and analog sources - maybe it is 2 ganged together(??)

AFAIK, the idea is that a digital volume control reduces volume by tossing out bits - a big no-no... no?

15 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

There's a handful of people here who spend such an inordinate amount of time pontificating on this forum that one wonders how they have the time to listen to music.

And for those of you who are confused about the above post, "music" is what you play over your sound system when you are done with the test tones.

I'm curious which brands and vintages of nice sports cars you like, George(?)

More on topic, what DACs at or near or under the price of the Yggy sound better or as good?  Mytek Brooklyn?  others?

And feel free to limit the response by digital format (redbook) or music type (rock vs. jazz, classical), blind testing or sustained listening or wayward impressions -- all welcome.

Just to get back to Ernie and his chicken buddies for a moment...

the hearing range of female chickens "extends from 9.1 Hz to 7.2 kHz, with a best sensitivity of 2.6 dB at 2 kHz. Chickens have better sensitivity than humans for frequencies below 64 Hz; indeed, their sensitivity to infrasound exceeds that of the homing pigeon.

However, when threshold testing moved to the lower frequencies, the animals required additional training before their final thresholds were obtained, suggesting that they may perceive frequencies below 64 Hz differently than higher frequencies."

Hill, E. M. et al.  2014.  J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol. 2014 Oct;200(10):863-70.