IGNORED

which quality USB cable to consider?

14 minutes ago, agladstone said:

No my DAC does not convert to DSD - I use a Mytek Brooklyn DAC, I will say that Mytek DAC's do excel with DSD and MQA files. 

Righto...the Brooklyn is ESS9018 I think which is not an ideal way to get the best from PCM which in my eyes is probably the reason why you prefer DSD over PCM with that dac.

When I did my own experiments with PCM and DSD I had several dacs available to me that did one or both of those formats.  What was really clear to me at the end of that process is that the dacs that did both DSD and PCM had a similar sound signature for both file formats, but the DSD format in general did sound better with them.  My revelation was that one of the PCM only dacs sounded much better with Redbook than what any of the DSD capable dacs could produce with either PCM or DSD so you can guess the way that I went.  I used various identically mastered tracks in format from Redbook to DXD to DSD256 from 2L so mastering was a significant variable removed from the testing.  

6 hours ago, agladstone said:

also the DSD layers converted to 24/88 and 24/96 too. 

So I'm guessing that the studio recordings would have been mostly recorded down to analog, DSD or PCM, then any DSD converted to PCM (or in the odd case analog) for mixing and mastered (Audacity shows that the most butchering of quality will be here, far exceeding format differences) in PCM, DSD, M4a and MP3 for distribution.

The question is: How accurate is the conversion from DSD back to 24/88 or 24/96? 

I would suspect that for PCM sticking with a ladder DAC and for DSD sticking with a DSD DAC would give the best sound reproduction and another layer of conversion is just going to lose information.

I'd probably convert DSD to PCM too mind, room EQ and digital crossovers + bi-amp/multi-amp  are the future and those need PCM.

I'll probably go for a nice SET tube amp for the tweeters, soft-start and no solid state horrors :)

Battling the Loudness War with the SeeDeClip4 multi-user, decompressing, declipping streaming Music Server.

• 6 months later...
On 5/18/2017 at 1:00 PM, Solstice380 said:

There are a zillion USB cables out there.  Some engineered, some not. I stumbled onto a small manufacturer where the principals are all bona fide electrical engineers, most of whom are working in defense electronics; Your Final System (YFS). Their Ref Music Server and USB cable were used by the Von Schweikert guys in their mega bucks system at AXPONA this year.   I am using their Ref USB cabling between my NAA/Intona/REGEN and Lampi GA DAC since long before the show.  They bettered both Mapleshade and Curious cables.   Comparably priced. 

You can get any config you want... spilt cable, no 5V, etc.   Very reasonable prices for quality hand made cables.    You talk directly to the head guy and the delivery is quick.  

Thanks for the heads up on YFS USB cable. I emailed Kevin and told him what I needed. He made the cable in a day and shipped immediately. Just put in my system and immediate sonic improvement. My system is: Sonore Signature rendu SE to Yggy dac to PS Audio BHK Preamp to ATC SCM 50 active speakers. Also use Torus isolation transformers. Replaced a cheap but very good printer cable since I had sold my Curious cable last year, but from my memory, the printer cable sound pretty close to the Curious cable. 

On 3/31/2017 at 11:24 PM, ctsooner said:

For cables in your price range, the best I've heard and most neutral are Audioquest.  I've heard many of these other cables in the thread and always have friends bring their over and the AQ cables in the various price ranges end up being the best sounding and sometime not by a little.    For the 500 range I like AQ Diamond and Total DAC USB.

Agree, I am also using the AQ Diamond and consider it money well spent. It feeds a Schiit Eitr and you definitely can hear the difference in USB cables using the Eitr.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello - I just connected my iMac to my new DAC, Dave by Chord.  I'm using an Audioquest Diamond USB cable.  Sounds quite good.  I have yet to try my headphones (Focal Utopia) with the DAC.  I also have a Naim Core connected to the Dave by a Siltech Golden Eagle BNC-terminated cable.  Sounds really good.  I imagine the sound quality will get even better as things settle in.

Home system - Naim 272 preamp/streamer, Naim 250DR power amp, Naim Core ripper/server, Chord Dave DAC, iMac running Audirvana, Burmester B10 speakers, JL e-type subwoofer, Focal Utopia headphones, Siltech Ruby Mountain II power cable for the amp, Naim Powerline power cables for my other Naim equipment, Siltech Golden Eagle digital cable, Crystal Cable Reference speaker cables, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Furutech power distributor, attached to the wall with a short run of Odin power cable.

Portable system - A&K SP1000 DAP, Focal Utopia headphones, ALO Audio Continental tube portable headphone amp.

My stereo system has changed considerably.  I'll have to update it.

Home system - Naim 272 preamp/streamer, Naim 250DR power amp, Naim Core ripper/server, Chord Dave DAC, iMac running Audirvana, Burmester B10 speakers, JL e-type subwoofer, Focal Utopia headphones, Siltech Ruby Mountain II power cable for the amp, Naim Powerline power cables for my other Naim equipment, Siltech Golden Eagle digital cable, Crystal Cable Reference speaker cables, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Furutech power distributor, attached to the wall with a short run of Odin power cable.

Portable system - A&K SP1000 DAP, Focal Utopia headphones, ALO Audio Continental tube portable headphone amp.