IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

4 minutes ago, realhifi said:

It just feels a little less friendly. Not that big of a deal but the perceived comfort of similarity is strong and is especially important in the cold world of the internet.  That said, I'm sure there are improvements and efficiencies at play and a lot of hard work has probably gone into to your "remodel" so congrats are in order and I'm sure we'll all get used to the new "look"!

Thanks. Remember, the old site was incrementally improved over years. With this new platform, we'll be able to get beyond what the old site was capable of and fine tune it better. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, wgscott said:

Suggestion:  Get rid of the reputation thing, or at least the negative reps and display count under the avatar.

I guess I am grateful that I have a large positive number, but I just saw the post of a perfectly reasonable member, a good citizen, etc, who has a fairly large negative number in red below his avatar.  That just doesn't seem right.  Some people have numbers here higher than that of Chris.  Whereas I think everyone regards those folks highly, that just doesn't seem right either.  But it is the down-voting and the negative numbers, along with the running tally on display, that I think can have a bit of a negative impact...

Let's dig into this one a bit. All options are on the table. I have no allegiance to the reputation system.

Perhaps it's like anything, it can be used for good and bad. Yesterday someone signed up just to give @manisandher some negative reputation points. This wasn't cool, so I removed the negative votes. That's not a long term strategy. I can see certain factions voting against a member of another faction, just like people do in the real world. I guess such is life. Does this mean we can't let adults be adults and trust them to be reasonable with the power of the reputation point system? I don't know. 

We can enable positive voting only, but something rubs me the wrong way with that. Kind of like participation trophies and patting ourselves on the back. 

Does the chance that one's "reputation" can go up or down, change the way people post? If yes, for the better or worse or both?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, Jud said:

So, like war, what is the reputation number good for?  Presumably for telling newer people "Here's someone helpful and/or knowledgeable."

I don't think it's serving that function, as I can say without fear of contradiction I am far from the most helpful or knowledgeable(!) person on this site.

It's really being used for two purposes: Agree/disagree; and like/dislike the person or his/her opinion.  Neither of these helps a newbie in terms of who to trust.  I think it's probably better for new folks to do this the old-fashioned way: read what people write and make up their own minds.

Shorter: I agree with Bill.

Do you think the reputation system changes what people say when posting?

23 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

You must have gotten the E-mail to work, my phone exploded with CA E-mails earlier today.  Job well done :D

Yes! I little public complaining via Twitter and the company immediately unblocked CA emails :~)

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

here is a minor 1st world problem:

when you Quote a post and reply, there is very little vertical space (is that "kerning"??) between the end of their quote and your reply

also, would be nice to see other people's equipment lists like in the old forum software

You've touched on the issue of fixing one thing, but causing something else to be annoying. When the forum launched, the default behavior for the enter key was "new paragraph" rather than going to the next line. With the default setting, when you quoted someone there was automatically a nice space between the qupted words and the new comment. However, this new paragraph behavior was annoying so I set to to work like all other sites work. Now, the enter key works like normal, but the comments under a quote start immediately below and are too close. The solution is to hit enter once or twice to move the comment further down the page.

Equipment lists are free-form now rather than the boxes to fill in. People can add these in the About Me section of their profiles. And, put them in their signatures for display below each post.

Thanks for keeping up the feedback guys. I would tell everyone to have a good weekend, but isn't that something you say to someone when you're parting ways until the weekend is over? I have a feeling we'll be here all weekend :~)

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Wow, do I wish I'd said that.

My immediate thought as well. 

51 minutes ago, Jud said:

Still don't think so, Chris. :)  I know you hoped it would do some good.  But rather than just stating another point of view, since I disagreed I downvoted your post that I'm quoting here.  Now there's  a pink "-1" attached to it.  This sort of thing happens a lot in threads.  I don't think it's an improvement over me simply stating my point of view, do you?

Feedback noted. 

6 minutes ago, Nikhil said:

@The Computer Audiophile

Is it possible to change the way user references are displayed in posts?
Earlier the forum member's handle was displayed in bold font but now uses a bright blue highlighter which is too much of contrast.

screenshot.png

Sure, it's possible. The blue was in direct response to complaints about the way it was. 

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hi Chris,

I ran into a couple of minor issues, so wanted to pass them along. For reference, take a look at my post: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30634-the-true-experimental-tweak-thread/?do=findComment&comment=648849

1. Is there no longer a way to control the display size of image attachments? I attached 2 PNG files, and the size shown in the post is the largest size that I can get. I can go smaller, but not any larger.
  2. When I click on the attachments, the image shown is nothing like the original. While the original has a white background, with dark text, the image view is the opposite. I suspect this is at the mercy of the default image viewer on the system. On W10, that appears to be Photos, and it totally messes up PNGs.

I'm not sure what to even recommend here, but maybe someone here has some guidance or pointers to ensure that attached images are rendered with fidelity?

Those attachments have a transparent background. Most systems don't seem to have issues, but so.e might turn it black. If you post them with a white background, they'll work fine. 

The size of images uploaded is reduced to a small size so as not to take up too much space unless one clicks on them to see more. 

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Those attachments have a transparent background. Most systems don't seem to have issues, but so.e might turn it black. If you post them with a white background, they'll work fine. 

The size of images uploaded is reduced to a small size so as not to take up too much space unless one clicks on them to see more. 

Screenshot_20170406-162056.png

2 hours ago, tailspn said:

My apologies if this has already been covered; but is it possible as it was prior to the new site redo to have the most recent post in a thread be the first on top of the first page viewed, rather than the last on the bottom of the last page? I can't find a way to choose this option.

Thanks!

I don't think this is possible. I know it has been brought up. If anyone has found a way to do this please let us know.

21 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

I don't know if it is related to the new site, but all my emails from Computer Audiophile goes into my junk mail recently ???  iMac with Mail on 10.11.6

Never encounter that before, but could be Apple fault as they tend

to screw things up most of the time now  :-)

Snapz001.jpg

Very strange. We use SPF, DKIM, and DMARC to tell everyone that our email is legit.