IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Nothing has changed wit my network

Dis don't sound like youse. 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, wgscott said:

I agree.

I also suggest going in the opposite direction some of the others suggest:  Eliminate all of the button-click up-votes, off-topic badges, etc. They are all being abused by people who want to reward their friends (people they agree with) and punish people who have the temerity to disagree with them with the off-topic button.

These badge-buttons can be manipulated to such an extent that they rapidly become meaningless.

In the absence of the non-verbal button-pressing option, people at least have to articulate why they agree or disagree with something. It leads to a more meaningful and intelligent conversation.   

Assuming the original idea was to allow people to rapidly find the more valuable posts in a thread, I wonder if raising the number of favorable reactions required to “go green” would at least present readers with fewer such comments to look at.

I’m in agreement that seeing reactions in the activity stream by default is distracting rather than valuable to me.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

38 minutes ago, mansr said:

Jealous much?

A fair (though I would think incorrect) comment, but seeing an upvote for it to me illustrates what I think is the primary problem with the system as a way to assess which comments have value.

At least for me, the valuable comments are those that provide information I didn’t know.  So we ought to see bunches of upvotes in the Q&A section, fewer in threads where more heated arguments take place.  Yet of course it tends to be just the opposite.

• 4 months later...

When someone enters a status update, where on (or off) the forums does that go?

Is it a sort of Facebook-comes-to-CA?

Is this the feature on which you wanted opinions?

10 hours ago, austinpop said:

All good now on iOS.

Ahhh, better.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to you and @crenca. The whitelist request was a bit of a bother, but I hadn't thought to say anything about it myself.

• 2 months later...

I notice that the server "sees" uBlock even for subscribers. No, I don't mind the message I get. I don't know if it has some effect on the reports you get, though, that some percentage of the uBlock users represents subscribers.

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I believe I stripped the anti-ad-block code out of the Premium theme available to subscribers only. 

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s fairly new. I stripped all the ad code from it and enabled Ajax navigation because page views don’t matter when ads aren’t being served. 

I don't recall when the last time was I saw the cute little kitty. (I think that was yours, or maybe it was another page?) I'll note if it turns up again and see if it's with the Premium theme (most likely not).

• 1 month later...

I have 2-step verification on my account when accessing by mobile.  Currently on Safari on iPhone I can't log in - Face ID comes up, fills in my username and password, then the entry doesn't "take" and I'm back out at the login screen.  Another browser (Cake) presents me with a manual login (no Face ID), then I'm taken to the screen to fill in the verification code, which works.

Thoughts? Possibly something on my end (I'm running a beta iOS version, so it's not impossible Face ID is misbehaving in some way)?

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hmmm. I’ll reset the 2FA. 

What happens when you test Safari (edit: on iPhone)?  Since it could be something on my end, I'd hate to see you bother if that's the case.

Thanks - works!

• 2 months later...

Seems more readable to me (iPhone XS).

I’ve read that serif fonts are supposed to be better, but for whatever reason I’ve always liked sans.

44 minutes ago, mansr said:

Instead of tinkering with fonts, could you please figure out why the browser often, but not always, freezes up for about 10 seconds after loading an activity stream page? Everything is rendered, but clicking links does nothing. The mouse pointer doesn't even change when hovering over them. I'm running Firefox 70.0.1.

Usually when you mention something about the site I think “Yep,” but don’t recall experiencing this. Using Vivaldi on PC and Mac, Safari, Cake and Firefox Focus on iPhone.

19 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Just tried it on my iPhone6.  Yeah, it's a bit large, but what I find more disturbing is the way the new font kerns on the phone.  The letter spacing seems practically mono-spaced--though I know it is not.

I see the mono-spacing look on my iPhone XS as well.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, here is some objective data :~)

13px, 14px, 15px, and 16px.

13px.png14px.png15px.png16px.png

Going from left - too small; acceptable; nice; perhaps a bit large.

35 minutes ago, mansr said:

Why can't users who want larger text use the browser feature to do this? Most browsers have an option to increase size but not one to reduce it, or I'd be using it on many sites.

Vivaldi has a convenient page zoom that dials in or out, and more detailed settings specifically for font size. It's quite respectful of user privacy. Built on Chromium, in case that's a no-go for you.

Edit: As boomers age, the Web is going to go to bigger fonts as a commercial accommodation, so I think it's something we're going to start seeing a lot of. This site specifically I'm sure skews toward an older demographic than the Web-at-large.

29 minutes ago, mansr said:

As does Chrome, but global scaling is too heavy-handed when only some parts of the page are outrageously sized.

Don't have access at the moment, but will see if the detailed font settings might help. 

1 minute ago, mansr said:

I'm talking about the Android version. There is only a single, global scaling option that I can find.

Android version of the Vivaldi browser? (I'd neglected to think of the fact that I have an iPhone and therefore am only using Vivaldi in the desktop version until they make one for iPhone that I presume will use WebKit.)

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, mansr said:

Ban him? I think that would be about 98.6% accurate at present, 99.3% by tomorrow afternoon.

My, aren’t we the anxious one.

15 minutes ago, STC said:

Maybe his expectation of educators showing exemplary standard of conduct is much higher than the rest. ;) 

I'm sure you wouldn't feel it was at all humorous or appropriate if someone from this forum contacted your employer. I'm guessing Alex regrets that.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Yeah, you. might But I wouldn't know how that would have been me.

Always the latest version of W10;

I just tried

- Edge

- Opera

- FireFox (is a tad more small even, and also unbalanced)

- Chrome (on W8.1).

- IE8 

It is all the same.

So you're telling that you don't see it. Am I right ?

PS: There is a very very tiny difference between normal reading posts and what's typed in the editor (which seems larger). Could be me that one.

Vivaldi on Windows? Linux? (Didn't look bad to me yesterday, Vivaldi on Lubuntu.)

• 6 months later...
52 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I use that feature, so I can't claim someone from Nigeria is posting under my username...

I also use, and strongly suggest others do as well, 1Password.

Or another reputable password app, such as LastPass.

• 4 weeks later...