IGNORED

How to Tell When You Achieve What You Want From Audio

My dream desktop speakers have been Gallo Strada's om mapleshade Stands with a Gallo Subwoofer modded by Mapleshade. Retail around $3500. I just saw this exact system including the sub come up on Audiogon. That never happens with the modded version. It looks like it is in excellent condition and the price is good, $1300, less than what a pair of unmodded Strada's would cost. My brain short circuits as I say FINALLY I can snap this up. Then I hit play on my current setup, my face goes into a grin and I realize I can't make any changes. Just too happy with my JBL speaker/TBI subwoofer setup. I realize the merry go round has stopped and I am happy with this sound and just can't imagine making any trade offs. That's how I knew I had finally achieved what I wanted in audio. I am sure I would like the Gallo setup but I realize it may not actually be better, just different.

Without a reference you will be going in circles. When you compare you need to use the same sound track but as you can read from the various magazines no one actually using the same track to compare.

The next thing is to get a good headphones so that you can compare the sound. Good headphones can be subjective to some so choose the headphones that sound the best to your ears. Compare your system sound and headphones. They might not sound identical but it would give you some clues as to the balance.

Next, get a good microphone to record your progress. I achieved more fine tuning by comparing the different audio recording of my system over the last five years. There were many a times, I would make some changes that I thought it sounded better but after a few days I would have my doubts. Luckily, with the recordings, I could hear the "before" and "after" and rectify if necessary.

Lastly, have confidence in your hearing and preference. Don't expect validation from your fellow audiophile friends. If your system sounds good they will come.

My two cents.

When I decide that the listening experience at home is better than that sitting in great seats at the Symphony... If I include comfort and the ability to enjoy a class of wine during the performance, then I'm already there. :)

Actually one of the things I have liked best about my digital front end is that I have had many more chances to try things, tweak things and only progress where I could hear clear differences. In the days of just buying equipment that was a LOT harder...

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

My dream desktop speakers have been Gallo Strada's om mapleshade Stands with a Gallo Subwoofer modded by Mapleshade. Retail around $3500. I just saw this exact system including the sub come up on Audiogon. That never happens with the modded version. It looks like it is in excellent condition and the price is good, $1300, less than what a pair of unmodded Strada's would cost. My brain short circuits as I say FINALLY I can snap this up. Then I hit play on my current setup, my face goes into a grin and I realize I can't make any changes. Just too happy with my JBL speaker/TBI subwoofer setup. I realize the merry go round has stopped and I am happy with this sound and just can't imagine making any trade offs. That's how I knew I had finally achieved what I wanted in audio. I am sure I would like the Gallo setup but I realize it may not actually be better, just different.

Honestly, for a mere $1,300.00, I would have had to at least try out the speakers you passed on. Worst case, you could resell them without losing a penny. And while you are happy with what you have, I strongly suspect the Gallo system would have seriously outperformed it.

JC

Honestly, for a mere $1,300.00, I would have had to at least try out the speakers you passed on. Worst case, you could resell them without losing a penny. And while you are happy with what you have, I strongly suspect the Gallo system would have seriously outperformed it.

JC

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the ad. What was interesting was that I just didn't "want" to change. Something about these JBL's just through water on that fire of desire for an upgrade. I am not declaring I have no room for improved SQ. My post was more about losing any desire for an upgrade because you are so happy with what you have.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the ad. What was interesting was that I just didn't "want" to change. Something about these JBL's just through water on that fire of desire for an upgrade. I am not declaring I have no room for improved SQ. My post was more about losing any desire for an upgrade because you are so happy with what you have.

Given that, I'm very happy you've found yourself in that place. Now you can just sit back and enjoy the music, which, after all, is the heart of all of this.

JC

• 4 weeks later...

Witchdoctor, over the holidays I scored 3 Strada 2's (L,R, and C) on Craigslist for only $850!  Keep looking, last year I saw dealer demo sets for $1200/pair.  I found the perfect sub for them too - TDI Emperor.  Fills in the 30-120Hz range integrates better than anything I've heard bar none.  VERY happy with this relatively compact setup!