IGNORED

Upgrading Synology DS1813+

Hello, crew. I have said NAS which stores my music files used by both Roon and JRMC22 (the latter in a Roon world just for remote access outside my home via JRemote). I see that a new DSM update is here, version 6.1-15047.

Leaving aside that I have no clue if the new functionality has any value for me, I read in the release notes that "manual re-indexing is required for all files after upgrading to DSM 6.1" and "due to infrastructure update, packages will need re-initialization after upgrading to DSM 6.1."

Those statements scare me.

Can someone explain what this means and what I would need to do to comply?

Also wondering if anyone has had JRMC or Roon go bad after this DSM upgrade. I certainly don't want to rebuild my libraries.

Thanks for the help. Cheers. JCR

It simply means that your NAS may be quite kept busy after the upgrade.

Reindexing is only required if you enabled the indexing service. I have not. But if you have, this could keep the CPU very busy.

Reinitializing the packages will also keep the CPU very busy.

I see nothing here that's scary.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hello, crew. I have said NAS which stores my music files used by both Roon and JRMC22 (the latter in a Roon world just for remote access outside my home via JRemote). I see that a new DSM update is here, version 6.1-15047.

Leaving aside that I have no clue if the new functionality has any value for me, I read in the release notes that "manual re-indexing is required for all files after upgrading to DSM 6.1" and "due to infrastructure update, packages will need re-initialization after upgrading to DSM 6.1."

Those statements scare me.

Can someone explain what this means and what I would need to do to comply?

Also wondering if anyone has had JRMC or Roon go bad after this DSM upgrade. I certainly don't want to rebuild my libraries.

Thanks for the help. Cheers. JCR

Hi JCR - First, I have to get you over to my place for a listening session. I've been swamped, but will make time.

Second, this update is much ado about nothing for us. It installs an app called Universal Search, which requires a re-index. Big deal. I don't even have an index on my NAS so there was nothing to do after installation.

All my installed packaged either worked just fine or were auto-updated after the install.

Do for the update. Blame me if it doesn't work, I'll come over and fix it if necessary :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Good and bad stuff.

First, the good. Reboot solved error code and the update installed quickly.

The bad news:

Synology reports that Minimserver is no longer compatible. Ouch. So now I can't use my JRiver setup via BubbleuPnP. Any clue how to fix Minimserver?

Also, Roon no longer sees any of my RPi3 bridges. And I have five of them and they have all disappeared. Fing doesn't see any of them on my network any longer. They were all there just before I upgraded. My Sonos boxes though show up in Roon still.

And this just because I upgraded the NAS?

A disaster. Coming over to my home, are you Chris? :). JCR

Good and bad stuff.

First, the good. Reboot solved error code and the update installed quickly.

The bad news:

Synology reports that Minimserver is no longer compatible. Ouch. So now I can't use my JRiver setup via BubbleuPnP. Any clue how to fix Minimserver?

Also, Roon no longer sees any of my RPi3 bridges. And I have five of them and they have all disappeared. Fing doesn't see any of them on my network any longer. They were all there just before I upgraded. My Sonos boxes though show up in Roon still.

And this just because I upgraded the NAS?

A disaster. Coming over to my home, are you Chris? :). JCR

Install the newest version of Minim. I just did and it's running great. You ay have to uninstall / reinstall.

The RPi bridges disappearing is a strange one that I can't see being related to this update. Are you running Roon as a Synology package?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Odd but Minimserver and BuPnP now running again. First, MS came up. Then I saw that BuPnP was down. Attempting to start it up gave an error message that Java on Synology had become corrupted and needed install. A moment later, BuPnP was working. Weird. But that is past us now.

Returning to Roon, one of my RPi3s now appears. I am going to go reboot all of the other ones (since the one now appearing is the one I did reboot a few minutes ago).

....(time passing)

All RPi3s are back up. No clue why the Synology upgrade would have screwed them all up, but they are all up and running again.

So you don't have to come over to fix things, Chris! (I do have another Roon/Sonictransport problem, but I will post that now in a more appropriate locale on the forum. I bet you can help me with this last problem, too).

Thanks. JCR