IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

I've installed HQplayer embedded successfully on WSL (both Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 18.04) on windows 10 pro with some great help from trs @trs It is almost working but....

I'm not able to use it with my windows NAA. The HQplayer embedded on the WSL can find my NAA, that is not a problem, however, once I try to save the settings on web interface, it displays errors like this:

error.png.bcb5497794a15a35606b82c5480a00ba.png

I think NAA is also preventing HQplayer embedded working as well. Since once the "segmentation fault" happened, if I leave the NAA (Network Audio Daemon) online, the HQplayer embedded web interface cannot be accessed. So it crashes every startup when the NAA is online.

image.png.a626382f616dd1c92355c56701e194ff.png

Has anyone successfully run the HQplayer embedded on WSL along with the NAA accepting the signal?

I plan to use Roon for the control so that HQplayer embedded on WSL can stream/upsample the music in my Roon library to the NAA side. But I was told UPNP is not working on WSL at the moment, so Roon + NAA + HQplayer embedded WSL might not be working at the moment? Correct me if I understand it wrongly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

1 hour ago, louisxiawei said:

I've installed HQplayer embedded successfully on WSL (both Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 18.04) on windows 10 pro with some great help from trs @trs It is almost working but....

I'm not able to use it with my windows NAA. The HQplayer embedded on the WSL can find my NAA, that is not a problem, however, once I try to save the settings on web interface, it displays errors like this:

error.png.bcb5497794a15a35606b82c5480a00ba.png

I think NAA is also preventing HQplayer embedded working as well. Since once the "segmentation fault" happened, if I leave the NAA (Network Audio Daemon) online, the HQplayer embedded web interface cannot be accessed. So it crashes every startup when the NAA is online.

image.png.a626382f616dd1c92355c56701e194ff.png

Has anyone successfully run the HQplayer embedded on WSL along with the NAA accepting the signal?

I plan to use Roon for the control so that HQplayer embedded on WSL can stream/upsample the music in my Roon library to the NAA side. But I was told UPNP is not working on WSL at the moment, so Roon + NAA + HQplayer embedded WSL might not be working at the moment? Correct me if I understand it wrongly.

Any help would be appreciated.

You don't need UPnP for Roon.

I've had this working successfully with Roon and no problem for HQPlayer Embedded running under WSL to play to the NAA running on the host windows os.

Geoff

HQPlayer Embedded Install Guide v.0.5.pdf

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

26 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

Geoff beat me to it.  The problem is with Rygel crashing under WSL.  I have a bug report with the WSL team, but getting Rygel working correctly is low on their priority list.  Disable the upnp settings in the config file and restart HQPe.

I just pm’d Louis advising him to contact you. I knew you’d have the answer. I forgot we had to actually disable those UPnP settings.

Thanks

Best,

Geoff

Thanks in advance, gents. @Geoffrey Armstrong @shadowlight

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

Hi Miska,

I've been enjoying the Roon-mediated DSD512 sound of HQP running on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (xenial, 4.14.26-jl+ kernel, i7-8700K, 16G RAM) sent to Buffalo 3SE pro (9038) and Cyan-DSD DACs via an NAA (debian stretch on BBB with botic driver).

Recently, I tried to check the USB connectivity of HQP to a Manhattan II DAC for native DSD256 play. While the sound cards were well recognized on HQP log, the setting window did not show the DAC as an ALSA device as shown in the pictures below.

The aplay -l on the terminal showed these sound cards without any problems:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC1220 Analog [ALC1220 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC1220 Digital [ALC1220 Digital]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: DAC [Manhattan II DAC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

BTW there is no problem with the setting of networkaudiod as shown in other pics.

I'll be looking forward to your advice and suggestion. BTW, I'm controlling the HQP on the remote desktop screen (xfce4) on a Macbook. TIA

Screenshot_2018-05-15_21-26-28.png

Screenshot_2018-05-15_21-27-04.png

Screenshot_2018-05-15_21-27-53.png

Screenshot_2018-05-15_21-28-21.png

10 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

I just pm’d Louis advising him to contact you. I knew you’d have the answer. I forgot we had to actually disable those UPnP settings.

Thanks

Best,

Geoff

8 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

Thanks in advance, gents. @Geoffrey Armstrong @shadowlight

Louis, I replied to your pm.

In case anyone else is interested.  To disable upnp for HQPe, you will need to edit the hqplayerd.xml file and either delete everything starting with <upnp> and ending with </upnp> or comment that whole section out.

8 hours ago, twluke said:

Hi Miska,

I've been enjoying the Roon-mediated DSD512 sound of HQP running on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (xenial, 4.14.26-jl+ kernel, i7-8700K, 16G RAM) sent to Buffalo 3SE pro (9038) and Cyan-DSD DACs via an NAA (debian stretch on BBB with botic driver).

Recently, I tried to check the USB connectivity of HQP to a Manhattan II DAC for native DSD256 play. While the sound cards were well recognized on HQP log, the setting window did not show the DAC as an ALSA device as shown in the pictures below.

The aplay -l on the terminal showed these sound cards without any problems:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC1220 Analog [ALC1220 Analog]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC1220 Digital [ALC1220 Digital]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: DAC [Manhattan II DAC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

BTW there is no problem with the setting of networkaudiod as shown in other pics.

I'll be looking forward to your advice and suggestion. BTW, I'm controlling the HQP on the remote desktop screen (xfce4) on a Macbook. TIA

Screenshot_2018-05-15_21-26-28.png

Screenshot_2018-05-15_21-27-04.png

Screenshot_2018-05-15_21-27-53.png

Screenshot_2018-05-15_21-28-21.png

At least what I can see is that you have Manhattan behind a NAA, but you have ALSA backend selected in HQPlayer...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

52 minutes ago, Miska said:

At least what I can see is that you have Manhattan behind a NAA, but you have ALSA backend selected in HQPlayer...

In my old Ubuntu system (4.9.75-jl+ and HQPlayer Desktop v3.19.1), it looks like below. I think there is no problem in selecting ALSA for Manhattan II. Any suggestions?

Screenshot_2018-05-16_07-49-26.png

9 hours ago, twluke said:

In my old Ubuntu system (4.9.75-jl+ and HQPlayer Desktop v3.19.1), it looks like below. I think there is no problem in selecting ALSA for Manhattan II. Any suggestions?

Depends where it is connected! Of course if it's behind a NAA you cannot see it under ALSA...

I have been following the "INSTALL GUIDE FOR HQPLAYER EMBEDDED (FOR DEBIAN AND UBUNTU CONFIGURATION) Version 0.5 Written by: D Vaidya" to install the HQPlayer embedded.

However, when I started HQPe manually by using the scripts "/home/hqpe/bin/start_hqplayer.sh", I got the message "** (process:3768): WARNING **: failed to set priority" first, and then later I got another message "(rygel:3771): Rygel-WARNING **: No plugins found in 5 seconds; giving up…". For details, kindly please refer to the attached screenshot. Is there anyone who could kindly advise why this happen and how to solve this problem?

I am currently using a trial HQPlayer Desktop for Linux without license yet, since I want to compare it with HQPlayer Desktop for Windows (for which I have license) first. Could it be a source of the problem?

Any help or advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_2018-05-16_22-48-56.png

1 hour ago, simonklp said:

For details, kindly please refer to the attached screenshot. Is there anyone who could kindly advise why this happen and how to solve this problem?

I am currently using a trial HQPlayer Desktop for Linux without license yet, since I want to compare it with HQPlayer Desktop for Windows (for which I have license) first. Could it be a source of the problem?

Sorry the guide was written when HQPe was still in alpha/beta stage.  Miska, as since released the final code for HQPe 4 and it no longer requires the startup script that is in the guide.  You can use "systemctl start hqplayerd.service" command to start HQPe and "systemctl stop hqplayerd.service" to stop.  Since, it is now a service it should automatically start every time you restart your system.

Also, you mentioned HQPlayer Desktop for Linux is that correct?  I believe that is a typo, please correct me if my assumption is wrong.  Are you planning to use HQPe as uPNP renderer or do you plan to use Roon?

2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Sorry the guide was written when HQPe was still in alpha/beta stage.  Miska, as since released the final code for HQPe 4 and it no longer requires the startup script that is in the guide.  You can use "systemctl start hqplayerd.service" command to start HQPe and "systemctl stop hqplayerd.service" to stop.  Since, it is now a service it should automatically start every time you restart your system.

Also, you mentioned HQPlayer Desktop for Linux is that correct?  I believe that is a typo, please correct me if my assumption is wrong.  Are you planning to use HQPe as uPNP renderer or do you plan to use Roon?

Would you mind posting some simple instructions on how to upgrade from the beta version to the latest versions?

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff,

The process that I go through is to uninstall the previous one and install the new one.

To uninstall run "dpkg -r hqplayerd"

To install the new version it requires two commands.  The first one is to download the latest version of HQPe that appropriate for the OS you are using under and the install command.  If I remember correctly the version of Linux that you are running under WSL is Ubuntu Xenial.

[For Ubuntu] wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/xenial/hqplayerd_4.1.1-9_amd64.deb

[For Debian] wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/stretch/hqplayerd_4.1.1-9_amd64.deb

To install the package "dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.1.1-9_amd64.deb"

Doing that it will preserve your configuration but it does replace the hqplayerd.service file, which is not an issue under WSL since it is not used.

@Miska, please correct if the steps listed can be improved on.  Also is it possible for the new package to ask if hqplayerd.service should be replaced or existing version can be left alone.  The reason for that is under Debian, I have to add a delay otherwise the hqplayerd bombs out due to network startup delay.  Anytime, I update the version of HQPe, I have to go back and edit the service file to add the delay back in.

8 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

Geoff,

The process that I go through is to uninstall the previous one and install the new one.

To uninstall run "dpkg -r hqplayerd"

To install the new version it requires two commands.  The first one is to download the latest version of HQPe that appropriate for the OS you are using under and the install command.  If I remember correctly the version of Linux that you are running under WSL is Ubuntu Xenial.

[For Ubuntu] wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/xenial/hqplayerd_4.1.1-9_amd64.deb

[For Debian] wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/stretch/hqplayerd_4.1.1-9_amd64.deb

To install the package "dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.1.1-9_amd64.deb"

Doing that it will preserve your configuration but it does replace the hqplayerd.service file, which is not an issue under WSL since it is not used.

@Miska, please correct if the steps listed can be improved on.  Also is it possible for the new package to ask if hqplayerd.service should be replaced or existing version can be left alone.  The reason for that is under Debian, I have to add a delay otherwise the hqplayerd bombs out due to network startup delay.  Anytime, I update the version of HQPe, I have to go back and edit the service file to add the delay back in.

That’s very useful, thanks Deepak. I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Packaging system doesn't consider service files as configuration, so it won't handle those as such.

Have you set IP's in /etc/network/interfaces file? At least for me, I haven't ever got problems with the current service file when network is configured that way. If you happen to be using NetworkManager, it is good idea to remove that because it is not really suitable for servers and is bad in many ways... If you happen to be using systemd-networkd you need to add one extra dependency which is mentioned in the default service file in a comment. But by default, things work fine for me on minimal Debian installation.

18 minutes ago, Miska said:

Packaging system doesn't consider service files as configuration, so it won't handle those as such.

Have you set IP's in /etc/network/interfaces file? At least for me, I haven't ever got problems with the current service file when network is configured that way. If you happen to be using NetworkManager, it is good idea to remove that because it is not really suitable for servers and is bad in many ways... If you happen to be using systemd-networkd you need to add one extra dependency which is mentioned in the default service file in a comment. But by default, things work fine for me on minimal Debian installation.

I am using static up. 

6 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Hi Deepak, thank you very much for your advice. I shall try again and see how it goes.

I mentioned HQPlayer Desktop for Linux because I thought that the license of it also works for HQPe. Am I correct?

I plan to use HQPe as uPNP renderer. Thank you again for your kind advice.

54 minutes ago, Miska said:

But is it configured via /etc/network/interfaces or something else? Because network-online.target should handle that case especially without DHCP.

via /etc/network/interfaces file.

allow-hotplug eno1
iface eno1 inet static
        address 10.19.67.42
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 10.19.67.255
        gateway 10.19.67.1
        dns-nameservers 10.19.67.9 10.19.67.5