IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

33 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

The culture over there is different.  Rest assured that Scoggins was burying Hoffman in PMs regarding that quasi-sponsored MQA thread.  I'm sure he got Hoffman to give you the boot by suggesting you were making Hoffman's forum look unfriendly to vendors.

The reason Hoffman seems to be agnostic about MQA is there's no free gear in it for him.

Hoffman clearly has no Tidal account, in fact, does not have any file playback system what so ever, by his own admission. He listens only to CDs and SACDs for digital. He does not even know where to start to set a network based high resolution streamer.

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I have read that, but don't know first hand.  I always thought laying out $10k for the full DirectStream setup was somewhat foolhardy as the State Of The Art moves so quickly.  I've heard the DS and it sounds nice, but I never heard $10k worth of value there.

By, the way, he actually did answer my query to him..had he experienced an MQA demo-

His response:

"MQA, not interested in. Now, the MJQ I can always be interested in! "

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

From what I've heard from people present at his mastering sessions with Stephen Marsh, Hoffman only provides verbal feedback for sound (and over at the now defunct stereocentral.tv, he earned the title: EQ Consultant).  Others twiddle knobs to his specifications.  I've heard Hoffman has something like zero ProTools skills.

that may be. i know for a fact he has owns no mastering gear himself or has his own studio..

however, I must say many of the projects with his name credited as Mastering Engineer are sonically very, very good, and very faithful to the original LP tonally.

Recent examples are the Jeff Beck Truth SACD, and the Spirit and Joe Cocker SACDs.

2 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Same strategy as the banned Peter Veth was using. Always the same fallback arguments, never learn from the facts presented here and in Archimago's blog, only accepting the marketing copy paste articles, ignoring any independent research and reverse engineering.

Yes...also WitchDoctor...essentially they were classic trolls. Period.

Oldie but a goodie...totally desperate move to repost this.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-reviewed

"Listening to Nina Simone sing "No Me Quitte Pas" is always special. I own the 24/96 version of I Put A Spell On You and the LP so I'm familiar with this record. Using the Meridian Prime, I first queued up the regular old 24/96 file, followed by the MQA-encoded version and when Ms. Simone sang out in MQA, she'd moved. Or, more precisely, Ms. Simone took up a more believable and solid place right of center as compared to her more diffuse 24/96 image that kinda sounded as if floated more centered between the speakers, still a bit right, but not as obviously so. 

But that's not the only difference. The entire space of the recording opened up, unfolded?, into a more realistic-sounding space; more relaxed, more air, greater ease. Coupled with this improved spatial information, which I'd classify as RFO (Really Fucking Obvious), instruments took up a more solid position within this improved space and they sounded subtly ever that much sweeter."

What a hoot.

42 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Before the secret group existed, the owner of this group wrote that he needed to defend MQA and speak out:

image.thumb.png.4fa34c5d495223fcf5b1b317c9cb517f.png

Plausible deniability that he is NOT a paid shill? He indeed added Scoggins to the group.

Do normal fanboys use the term "team"?

image.thumb.png.c6db31ee4b5e8806aa2b849db6888ecd.png

Peter's wingman is this guy, and one of the earliest members of the secret group:

image.thumb.png.d74a9615e32ba801ea3df5e16e32e4b2.png

Looking at the amount of posts in the secret group by Peter Veth and here at CA before he was banned, he must either be compensated to do this, or be an extreme fanboy / believer willing to take the risk of getting fired on his dayjob (which is not related to MQA or audio / hifi ) when the bulk volume of posts interfering with his dayjob would be exposed to his employer.

Yes, thanks for reposting this...the evidence is clear cut.

39 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Over on audioasylum, I asked LaVorgna for examples of " valid level-matched A/B comparisons ". He never replied but Charles Hansen weighed in on Lavorgna article you linked:

...and what makes Lasagna's "comparisons" even more bogus is we now know the MyTek applied MQA filtering to everything unless the user manually goes into the menu, which I highly doubt Lasagna did, since he has been utterly clueless from the start.

10 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm thinking two, as he still keeps a toe in the water over here.  I'm beginning to see that the thread over on Daddy's forum was meant originally as a counterbalance to this thread.  I have a good friend who's a dealer of high end gear who has lots of contacts at various manufacturers.  This very thread is a huge source of agita for some of them, and most want to see it gone or at least fall off the front page of the general section.

Have you noticed that no gorts have intervened in that thread?  Only Daddy himself.  I've never seen a thread get such a white glove treatment.  I think Hoffman is between a rock and a hard place.  He wants to be seen as friendly to industry, but that thread does no favors for MQA.  It's only Scoggins, though another old timer, "Mal", tried feebly to defend/support Scoggins with a few posts and left.  Everyone else is skeptical of Scoggin's motives and loyalties.  Daddy sticks with his mantra, "MQA, don't care".

Veterans of Hoffman forums know Scoggins and his famously specious claims.  Here's just one example of some back and forth from 2011:

Forum veteran "Vidiot" can't let this go unanswered:

Scoggins never hesitates to name drop to back up his claims:

Someone makes a subtle note about the name dropping:

Scoggins then elevates himself to the level of Atkinson and Harley without even blinking:

And as you would expect, the thread goes off the rails.  This is just one example.

The makeup of active posters on Hoffman has changed over the years as new blood with more vigor has pushed aside the fogies.  But some loyalties endure and Daddy is in no hurry to nix Scoggins' war on the MQA skeptics.

You bring up some excellent points..and the white gloving, as you call it, of that thread is very, very curious.

My Brian Lucey thread was shut down about over a dozen pages. But Lying Lee gets to continue to make a mockery

of the place. Again, very curious.

I had numerous industry participants identify Scoggie as name dropping sycophant years ago.

1 minute ago, Lee Scoggins said:

This is total bullshit.  I explained what happened in detail. Peter Veth added me to the group as an admin without my permission as Facebook inexplicably allows. It took me a week to realize I was an admin at which point I immediately complained to Peter that I did not want to be an admin but I would participate as a member for learning reasons.

Also, this is just Peter’s page.  I have not seen any of the MQA team post on the page.

Sorry, your spin is meaningless. You denied even being part of the group. You are done.

29 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I find it draconian as well.  Hopefully the Gorts just moved it to their discussion forum to clean it up.  Although it was contentious at times, there was some good information there from both sides of the coin.  And the discussion was civil at times between some of the participants.

Perhaps I could have worded my comment about Hansen better but there has been a lot of dismay about Hansen.  It would have been nice to interview him before he passed.

No, sorry, you don't get off that easy.

You show clear signs of sociopathic behaviour. Or you suffer from sever Aspergers.  Or Both.

Many of the posters here are going to make sure PTA sees all your wonderful posting history.

20 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Looks like you see Lee's post on Charles Hansen as a personal attack on a well respected, recently deceased industry pro. I understand that but don't agree it has to be read that way.

Regardless, you've made yet another personal attack, one of many. You know very well that Chris C. has stated that personal attacks are not tolerated here. He has stated this numerous times. He has also warned you at least twice.

Either your continued personal attacks should not be tolerated, or a reason for you being an exception to the rules at CA should be presented.

Who made you a moderator?