IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

STOP THE PRESSES!

JA1 has weighed in and <i>apparently</i> MQA is "not necessarily lossy."

Mr Atkinson writes (in a comment on the Stereophile news story "Lenbrook Aquires MQA":

"While it is true that the bits in an MQA-encoded file are not the same as those in the original hi-rez file, this does not necessarily mean that the format is "lossy" in the manner that MP3, AAC, etc are lossy.

MQA takes advantage of the fact that all recorded music has a random noisefloor that is higher in amplitude than the LSBs. This allows a technique called "steganography" to be used to create a buried data channel - see www.researchgate.net/publication/45949372_Steganography-The_Art_of_Hiding_Data ."

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

(END of quoted section)

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

I am waiting for the announcement that Peter Veth and Lee Scoggins have joined the team too.

Lee apparently has a new gig, at something called Sypnios Growth Capital. I'll be darned if I can figure out what they do from their b-school bs description, but it appears to be a much smaller version of McKinsey, so business consulting.

Here is Lee's bio from Sypnios's team member page:. Apparently Lee was more successful at TAS than we realized!

Before joining Sypnios Growth Capital, Lee was CEO of Nextscreen, LLC, a media company in the automotive and audio sectors, where he tripled readership and doubled net earnings, including launching a successful YouTube channel. Previously, as an Associate Partner at McKinsey Analytics, Lee served numerous clients and won the Marvin Award for problem-solving in 2015. He also founded two analytics firms applying machine learning to banking and insurance risk management. Lee holds an honors degree in Finance and Management Information Systems from the University of Virginia.