IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 hours ago, knickerhawk said:

Have you heard what the cost will be for the Sublime subscription with HiRes streaming when it becomes available in the US? Based on the UK pricing, it looks like it will be considerably more expensive than Tidal.

An article somewhere said it would be the same as Euro/GBP except in dollars, $9.99/mo for mp3, $19.99/mo for CD, and $349.99/year for hi-res and discounted downloads.

• 1 month later...

300+ pages later, just wanted to comment on the thread title.

Vaporware, back in the day, referred to announced products that were never delivered, and sometimes never intended to be delivered for various reasons.

MQA exists, so it isn't technically vaporware.

A better term would be "snake oil." Or more appropriately in the current vernacular, "malware."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Roon must be finally nearing a new release to fix all the outstanding  issues in their software. Otherwise, it seems like the COO would have R&D projects to tend to instead of spending time on their forums making up new justifications for MQA and running them up the flagpole to see if anybody salutes.

At any rate, his recent, uh, activism? in the forums is somewhat revealing about their priorities and their attitude towards customers, which is reminiscent of JimH.

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

Roon needs streaming more than they need just about anything else,

This. Integration with qobuz (and only for radio) is the only reason I'm  keeping roon for another year, having just reupped this month, and before seeing this new rushed, underwhelming release rollout.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to decide between Tidal and Qobuz. Currently have both. The Qobuz price reduction is tempting, but you give up Tidal's personalized playlists and their auto play of similar artists (which is overcome with roon but not using native apps).

But I do not want MQA. In Tidal's app, I can set the upper limit to 'hi-fi'. If I set this, it still shows MQA selections. If I accidentally select one, or if there is only an MQA version, what do I get if I have the limit set to hi-fi and I play it? Do I get an unmolested cd quality file, or some kind of unfolded mqa containerized file?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just noticed an mqa "master" album disappeared from tidal. Renaissance by Marcus Miller (Concord Jazz label,  May 2012) was previously available as a 16/44.1 mqa master, but is now only available as 16/44.1 flac.

Don't know if mqa was the only version before or if the flac verson was also there or has now replaced it. 

He's still got others on tidal in mqa, one from Warner/Rhino (mqa only), another from Universal/Decca (both flac and mqa). Didn’t go through his entire catalog.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed disappearing mqa albums on tidal? Could this be an encouraging trend?

• 4 months later...

When I updated the Tidal Windows desktop app, it reset the exclusive mode setting to off. Turning it on restored mqa core decoding.

To see if a max track is mqa or standard pcm flac, toggle the mqa passthru setting. Passthru on disables core decoding, off performs core decoding. If it's 44.1/48 with passthru on and 88.2/96 with passthru off it's mqa. If it's the same either way it's flac.

• 1 month later...