IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Thanks all of you for this helpful input!

Then I'll try to stick to one of the models mentioned for the endpoint.

And regarding server: As my server will also be standing in the living room I don't want to have a fan spinning if I can avoid it. And it would be easier to get a fanless case for a 10W or 15W TDP NUC and I would avoid thermal throttling.

In that case the NUC7i7DNBE would seem suitable. But is it strong enough for room correction? I haven't tried this so far but would like to do so in the future. Also it only has one ethernet port so bridging won't be possible. Hm... after reading the reports about bridging, I wouldn't want to miss it really.

Many thanks @Bricki! I wasn't aware of this possibility.

Regarding the server I have one more remark:

Although I found several posts trying to explain the reason why NUCs are so special regarding sound quality, I got the impression that this applies especially to NUCs as endpoints, right?

Because according to this post (and other posts) of @romaz: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?page=409&tab=comments#comment-892124

... he got very good results using non-NUC-servers together with NUC-endpoints. And his guess seems to be that having more cores and (perhaps a bigger smart cache) in the server has a positive impact on the sound. So for the server side it doesn't have to be a NUC as long as you can run Audiolinux on it in RAM?

Because if that is true, people who (like me) want to have a fanless server could also look for other solutions than NUC.

@rickca: Is thermal throttling the same as "Thermal Monitoring Technologies"? If so then the 15W TDP  i7-8650 also has thermal throttling:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i7-processors/i7-8650u.html

Or is it more unlikely for a 10W /15W TDP design to experience thermal throttling because it doesn't get as hot as a 28W TDP design? Hope it's not a stupid question to ask.

and thanks @the_doc735 for your recommendation!