IGNORED

The trouble with computers

jostp

I'm an engineer, I'm an IT-er, I like computers, and I'm an audiophile (some would say I have a typical 'audiophile profile').

I really admire, and enjoy, how the guys from Roon have brought the listening experience to a whole new level.

But yesterday, my Roon suddenly didn't want to launch. That was a few days after my mac mini at start-up came up with the 'Core Telephony error'. Roon tells on their support forum that it is an Apple problem, and I understand them. Apple on their side is dead silent about it. On the internet one can find, as usual, about a dozen possible solutions ('suggestions'). It's hardly 2 months after I solved a fickle wifi problem (probably, so far).

That's the problem with computers and audio: you're eternally in a

Johan

I was forced into computer audio and I don't even find it more convenient than CDs because I don't stream nor buy downloads.

This summer I moved to a new home and I can't get my router to work which means that the NAS is no longer accessible by Wi-Fi and I had to resort to a USB HDD which has to sit on the floor...

I've also had a Mac OS update related problem once which left me music'less for a week or so.

And I also dislike the fact that there is still a bit of uncharted territory which has its impact in the cost of running a file reading and converting system...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Whether it be computers or components, each can fail in there own right, over time. At least computers are more flexible on the software and hardware side. It can be a boon or vain. To maintain a PC that is doing audio well to your liking, it behooves one to freeze all software settings, no updates. If you want to experiment with new updates, do it on a separate partitioned OS.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

If you want zero problems with your computer, then "lock" it: no wi-fi, no ethernet, no upgrades, no other software installed but an audio player, strictly dedicated to music and only that. On 2012 I bought a second hand mac mini with Mountain Lion, I installed A+ 1.5.10 and that's it! Four years later, this summer, I decided to move to El Capitan and A+ 2.5.1. I also replaced the hd (just in case) and I hope to get another four years with my little friend... It's like I replaced my cd player with a new one.I don't see it as a computer, I see it as my audio system. I have other computers to play, to work, to enjoy, to upgrade, etc...

I don't think you have to go that far. Just limit its function to playing music and a few associated functions, e.g., getting metadata from the web.

I have a MacMini that has been running without errors for about 2 years. It runs Bootcamp, Win7, JRiver and DiracLive and runs files from my NAS over my home network. Those programs have been updated and the Mini has been rebooted 3-4 times over this span. It is very stable. My PC-based Baetis XR3 has been similarly stable even as it was updated from Win7 to Win10. Both NAS boxes have been absolutely trouble-free.

Now, I have had a few bumps with the computers I use for other tasks while on the same home networks but not the music players.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Hi @jostp It's a bummer to hear about your issue. I talked to someone while I was in LA over the weekend who had the same issue. We couldn't even install TeamViewer for me to take a look. This core telephony error is a nightmare.

That said, commodity computers make high end audio inexpensive. There are other solutions from HiFi companies but they can be limited and more expensive.

It comes down to weighing the pros and cons.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Sorry, interrupted:

The trouble with computers and audio: you are always in a transitionary state.

Tonight, for the first time since a long period, I ' ll listen to my CD player. Maybe it will surprise me with it's SQ... ;-)

Johan

Once you start treating computers as an appliance the issues go way down. I get my Windows playback systems setup. Locked down. After that I image it for restore purposes and then turn off the Windows Update Service.

The machine is static from then on out, security update be damned. And It's never been a problem from that standpoint. I'm not doing anything with the machine that is going to get it compromised.

My play back machine is an AMD Brazos that is 7 years old now on Windows 7. I'll have to check the up time on it as it's been forever since I restarted it last.

Sorry, interrupted:

The trouble with computers and audio: you are always in a transitionary state.

Tonight, for the first time since a long period, I ' ll listen to my CD player. Maybe it will surprise me with it's SQ... ;-)

Johan

Where you able to solve the issue?

Depends on the CD player. From what some say a very high end player might sound as good or better. But... IMO you loose the convenience and enjoyment of the computer as a music player. I personally would never go back.

How to fix “CoreTelephony Trace File error” on Mac – Mac OS X Blog

I already tried out the 2 first 'solutions' from the Mac OS X blog, to no avail. Also from reading other posts, the last one - upgrading to Sierra - seems the best bet. But upgrading to a new OS version usually also brings new issues. Not to forget a difference in SQ. For a long period Audirvana has been my music player of choice, because of the SQ in my system. When I finally upgraded to El Capitan, almost a year after it came out, to my great surprise, Roon jumped over Audirvana (before, I prefered Roon for it's user interface, but I always went back to Audirvana for 'serious listening'). What will happen when I upgrade to Sierra? Again, that's the eternal transitionary state of computer audio. Years ago, I had a simular experience with tube amplifiers: always new tubes burning in, old ones dying out, replacements by other brands/types, and so on....

But, like with tube amps, with computers one has the flexibility to shape, to alter the sound (and to adapt to new formats, technologies: with computers one doesn't get locked in).

I am actually listening to my CD player (a CEC transport). I enjoy it's sound, it plays a little bit smoother/thicker then the computer I have the impression. But I miss the Roon remote....

Johan

• 2 weeks later...

I have a highly modified Windows 7 Pro on a Dell Latitude Laptop running only services that's needed for windows to run. No updates and all devices and services that's not needed for audio is disabled including keyboard, battery(this is connected to a UPS) and LCD monitor. Been using it as is with no problem for nearly 3 years now and never had any problem. Even Lid is never opened as i can remotely turn on and shutdown the machine if i want to.