IGNORED

Powering a Paul Pang usb v3 card with a power pack under charge?

Hi All,

I am planning to built a nice audio pc for my dad much in line with the caps V3.

As a power supply i use a Keces powersupply but that is a bit out of the budget for this built.

I was thinking about powering the pc with a regular laptop powersupply, the music will be stored on an external esata hdd with it's own powersupply and powering a PPA usbV3 seperately with a battery power pack.

Here are my questions:

If I were to run the powerpack (for example https://www.adafruit.com/products/1565) under charge would that cause a ripple or any other negative effects?

Would it be OK to keep the ppa card under continuous power while the rest of the audio pc will be switched on and of?

Thank you,

Jock

Music Server: Caps v3, ssd, ppa usb3 v2 card, external usb hdd, Keces Powersupply,Windows Server 2016, JRiver, audio optimizer. DAC: Teac UD-501. Amplifier: SSE tube amb with Class D L15D Amps for lower frequencies Mini DSP Open Baffle Tangband w8-1808 and double Emminence Alpha15 Cables: Signal Cable USA, Chord silverplus usb.

Hi All,

I am planning to built a nice audio pc for my dad much in line with the caps V3.

As a power supply i use a Keces powersupply but that is a bit out of the budget for this built.

I was thinking about powering the pc with a regular laptop powersupply, the music will be stored on an external esata hdd with it's own powersupply and powering a PPA usbV3 seperately with a battery power pack.

Here are my questions:

If I were to run the powerpack (for example https://www.adafruit.com/products/1565) under charge would that cause a ripple or any other negative effects?

Would it be OK to keep the ppa card under continuous power while the rest of the audio pc will be switched on and of?

Thank you,

Jock

I would say a powerpack is fine but while listening to music it should not be charging (so: disconnected from the mains, just battery power) for optimal performance. I can confirm that PPA cards are fine to be under continuous power while the PC is on or off - a problem only arises if you lose power to the PPA card while the PC is on - in my case that resulted in Windows completely freezing, requiring a hard reboot.

Jockaruba

You may be better off using a cheap mains timer to recharge the battery overnight whenever necessary.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Thanks!

Music Server: Caps v3, ssd, ppa usb3 v2 card, external usb hdd, Keces Powersupply,Windows Server 2016, JRiver, audio optimizer. DAC: Teac UD-501. Amplifier: SSE tube amb with Class D L15D Amps for lower frequencies Mini DSP Open Baffle Tangband w8-1808 and double Emminence Alpha15 Cables: Signal Cable USA, Chord silverplus usb.

• 1 month later...

What are people using to power their PPA USB v3 cards? I had been using a CI Audio VDC-5 power supply but for whatever reason the card was not working. The VDC-5 puts out 5V/2.5A. Paul is saying that the card needs 3A which may be why it stopped working.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

What are people using to power their PPA USB v3 cards? I had been using a CI Audio VDC-5 power supply but for whatever reason the card was not working. The VDC-5 puts out 5V/2.5A. Paul is saying that the card needs 3A which may be why it stopped working.

I use power from the motherboard.

Be extremely skeptical of anything Paul Pang says, his MO is to always blame the user or other factors for his products not working.

I use power from the motherboard.

Be extremely skeptical of anything Paul Pang says, his MO is to always blame the user or other factors for his products not working.

I know.

I sent him the card and he told me that it was working well but he did say he replaced something. It is on its way back to me. Let's see what happens when I put it back in.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Interesting what his website says about the V3 power requirements.

(copied and pasted)

V3 card need 750mA when the oven on heating,

After 3 minutes when the oven is full heated,

V3 card need 200mA.

In the other hand,

If your PSU offer true 1A output,

V3 card will work fine

Also interesting to see he has discontinued this same module and the TCXO for motherboard use. Many reports of problems with these modules.

My PSU offers 2.5A output and it works with the v2 card fine.

I use this power supply on my SOTM USB card in my CAPS 3 pc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M45MHQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However I switched to the microrendu and prefer that approach on feeding the dac.

I also feed the SSD with a battery.

On my CAPS 3, of course I recommend Audiophile Optimizer and Server 2012 r2 and running Roonserver with Tidal sounds as good as local files.

I didn't have that success with a Dell 6 core Workstation.

Jeff

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4