IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

1 minute ago, tuan209 said:

Thats odd!

Mine was stuck halfway through the firmware update too and idled for a few hours. 

Ya, the reset button is the lil button behind the speakers. It can only be access with a paper clip.  

Give it another go?  

If it doesnt work, give Kef a call.  They are pretty responsive and helpful.

Tuan

I'm going to take a beer and listen to some music (on my headphones). I'll give it another try in the morning - It's bedtime i a couple of hours here :) I'll be back.

14 minutes ago, tuan209 said:

Thats odd!

Mine was stuck halfway through the firmware update too and idled for a few hours. 

Ya, the reset button is the lil button behind the speakers. It can only be access with a paper clip.  

Give it another go?  

If it doesnt work, give Kef a call.  They are pretty responsive and helpful.

Tuan

Yet they are not responding to e-mails or their Facebook forum.

I had a successful update:

1. Windows 7 64bit
2. The computer must be connected to the Internet (mine is hard wired by Ethernet cable to local network)
3. The speaker must be in Wi-Fi mode and connected to the internet (hard wired to my network via Ethernet cable)
4. I disabled my Norton firewall Firewall / Anti-virus

5. Ensure you use the KEF Ethernet cable between Left and Right

6. Download and run installation software:

http://us.kef.com/product-support

I use the iPad app.

P.S. I had the firewall issue.  KEF support by phone was prompt and friendly.. 

Hey Guys!

Quick question!

What is the best way to hook up the LS50w to a receiver?

I have an old Marantz 1506 with preouts.  

Would I have to set the gains on the speakers and receiver?

Also, should I run any type room correction on the receiver?  

I basically looking to add back that LFE channel for movies since the sub out on the Kefs do not support that.  

Tuan

2 minutes ago, tuan209 said:

Hey Guys!

Quick question!

What is the best way to hook up the LS50w to a receiver?

I have an old Marantz 1506 with preouts.  

Would I have to set the gains on the speakers and receiver?

Also, should I run any type room correction on the receiver?  

I basically looking to add back that LFE channel for movies since the sub out on the Kefs do not support that.  

Tuan

You don't need the receiver. You want to use the digital inputs. If you use the pre-outs on your receiver to the analogue in on the LS50W, the signal is converted to digital. I would either buying passive LS50 to the receiver or skip the reciver and use the LS50W as a complete set, ie. source/amp/speakers.

9 hours ago, [email protected] said:

1. Windows 7 64bit
2. The computer must be connected to the Internet (mine is hard wired by Ethernet cable to local network)
3. The speaker must be in Wi-Fi mode and connected to the internet (hard wired to my network via Ethernet cable)

I use the iPad app.

Good to hear. 

David

9 hours ago, [email protected] said:

1. Windows 7 64bit

I use the iPad app.

I had the default Windows firewall active. That might be it. Forgot about it because I don't have any third party protection.

My problem is solved. KEF LS50w or KEF didn't have any role in my problems. In the beginning, I suspect it was my neglect to avoid turning off the Windows Firewall. Please do that if you want to avoid problems!

Somewhere in the process when I unconnected all cables I also think I manage to put the speaker interconnect in the Internet RJ45 - the speaker was kind of hard to reach so I couldn't see what I was doing, and forgot there is to two RJ45 females on the master speaker.

KEF Rocks and the LS50 wireless sounds amazing!!!

Am I right in thinking that if I connect the speakers to my imac directly via USB, I can avoid using the flaky app and all the networking / connectivity issues that have been reported on here? iTunes and Audirvana will do just fine for me.

I've been interested in buying these from the day they were announced but have been put off somewhat by the negative reports about the app and poor after sales support from Kef.

21 minutes ago, stewboss said:

Am I right in thinking that if I connect the speakers to my imac directly via USB, I can avoid using the flaky app and all the networking / connectivity issues that have been reported on here? iTunes and Audirvana will do just fine for me.

I've been interested in buying these from the day they were announced but have been put off somewhat by the negative reports about the app and poor after sales support from Kef.

Sure, you can connect to USB, use the "PC" selection and do most of the room settings at the backside of the master speaker. But I wouldn't hesitate to use the app if I were you. For one thing, you can fine tune the room settings in the app. I mostly use it with the USB, but connected to a microRendu. It's practically the same situation as the one you describe. I rarely use the app at all. I already had Tidal via Roon, for one thing.

Like these ideas. And I'm a big fan of the W4S reclockers (Remedy and Recovery). Cool to have options with digital like this–the passive switch is a great idea. 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

19 hours ago, ecmfidelity said:

Sure, you can connect to USB, use the "PC" selection and do most of the room settings at the backside of the master speaker. But I wouldn't hesitate to use the app if I were you. For one thing, you can fine tune the room settings in the app. I mostly use it with the USB, but connected to a microRendu. It's practically the same situation as the one you describe. I rarely use the app at all. I already had Tidal via Roon, for one thing.

That's great!

Good to know. Thanks.

Looks like Kef finally responded to the facebook group.

KEF We are aware that there are a very few customers who experienced this and we are in the process of trying to find the root cause. Try to re-load the firmware update and let us know if that worked or not. As far as backloading the FW update, we'll get information on that and pass it along.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

On June 13, 2017 at 2:02 PM, erniejade said:

Looks like Kef finally responded to the facebook group.

KEF We are aware that there are a very few customers who experienced this and we are in the process of trying to find the root cause. Try to re-load the firmware update and let us know if that worked or not. As far as backloading the FW update, we'll get information on that and pass it along.

Hi

can you provide the full URL link to that post.  I cannot find it on the KEF Facebook page.

thanks

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

We are currently looking into the issue and will hopefully have some info early next week.

From today's post

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1329921497024500/permalink/1781000815249897/?comment_id=1789858057697506&notif_t=group_comment_reply&notif_id=1497535543717202

17 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I have experienced a distortion like stuttering since the upgrade to the FW.  Happens only occasionally, about every two days.  

Fast forward to the next track fixes it.

Kef must be using trained monkeys as devs.  They are clearly over their head when it comes to supporting products like this and it tarnishes their entire brand.

Brian Heisler Thanks Please keep us updated or possibly make it a little more public so others know vs looking at audio forums. We all appreciate the help!
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· 4 hrs
Edit
Jack Sharkey
Jack Sharkey We've had basically three issues worldwide so we're trying to gather up data and get to the root of it all. Thanks for the patience and kind words, we will definitely keep everyone posted.

I also gave a link to here in case they feel like reaching out on this KEF forum.

4 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I have experienced a distortion like stuttering since the upgrade to the FW.  Happens only occasionally, about every two days.  

Fast forward to the next track fixes it.

To clarify: I was listening to Tidal today on a Windows PC > USB > LS50W.  When the stuttering started, I paused Tidal, and switched the Tidal settings to my PC speakers.  No stuttering.  Switched Tidal back back to the LS50W, and the stuttering is gone.

3 hours ago, erniejade said:
Brian Heisler Thanks Please keep us updated or possibly make it a little more public so others know vs looking at audio forums. We all appreciate the help!
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply ·
· 4 hrs
Edit
Jack Sharkey
Jack Sharkey We've had basically three issues worldwide so we're trying to gather up data and get to the root of it all. Thanks for the patience and kind words, we will definitely keep everyone posted.

Sounds about right. As I said previously, I'd like to see a forum that has numbers of problems in this area.  

David