IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

Is it possible or is anyone currently streaming Tidal etc to these via Linn Kazoo or Bubble Upnp?

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

20 minutes ago, Arcus said:

The subwoofer settings are saved for me when I turn off the speakers.

Is this right? how have you connected these - via wifi app? as I don’t intend using wi fi - its just that kef said that you will lose the settings when you switch off or do not use the wi fi app and are looking at a fix

13 minutes ago, kwb1 said:

Is this right? how have you connected these - via wifi app? as I don’t intend using wi fi - its just that kef said that you will lose the settings when you switch off or do not use the wi fi app and are looking at a fix

Yes, I connect via my iPhone using the app. I'm not losing the settings. 

4 minutes ago, Toolio said:

Much of what is wrong with software and music access could be improved with Roon compatibility. I'm waiting to see that before I purchase.

I think I mentioned it another post but Kef told me they are looking at both MQA and Roon but no promises.

I'm looking at using a Bluesound Node 2 using optical between my TV and the speakers for both MQA and a Roon endpoint.  I've direct connected a Meridian Explorer 2 to the speakers to play MQA and it sounds amazing.

12 minutes ago, gbryant said:

The KEF app sucks!!!!! 

KEF .... put a little effort into it...please!

It does suck.  They should not have put it out in this state.  The remote sucks too but I'm using a Logitech Harmony 650 instead.

I also want auto-switching of inputs which seems like sorting that should have been there too.

Good thing these speakers sound so good....lots of room for usability improvements.

4 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

I think I mentioned it another post but Kef told me they are looking at both MQA and Roon but no promises.

I'm looking at using a Bluesound Node 2 using optical between my TV and the speakers for both MQA and a Roon endpoint.  I've direct connected a Meridian Explorer 2 to the speakers to play MQA and it sounds amazing.

I've seen mention of everything from Roon being considered to people saying KEF informed them that Roon compatibility is definitely on the way. As a happy Roon user I'm cautiously optimistic but holding on to my cash for now.

28 minutes ago, Toolio said:

I've seen mention of everything from Roon being considered to people saying KEF informed them that Roon compatibility is definitely on the way. As a happy Roon user I'm cautiously optimistic but holding on to my cash for now.

I was considering a Sonore Sonicorbiter SE to make the speakers a Roon endpoint but with the Node 2 I can get that and MQA.  

On May 12, 2017 at 4:12 PM, gbryant said:

Right now I have my MacBook setting near right speaker with USB connection... but, I feel the point of purchasing these was to not have my Macbook setting near the speakers.

How long can I run USB without problems?

I have run 15 feet without noticable problems.  You may want to consider placing  USB booster like iUSB closer to the KEFs

On May 5, 2017 at 8:52 AM, Arcus said:

IMO, the Raspberry Pi/Hifiberry is an inexpensive way to get things working until Roon support is built-in. I bought the LPS-1 for mine but haven't had a chance to test it yet as I'm waiting for the USB adaptor to arrive.

As for MQA support, I was reading a blog recently where some testing was done and in those tests there was no measurable difference with MQA so I'm skeptical.

I tried using my Meridian Explorer2 with Tidal MASTERs into the RCA on the KEF.  To my old (68) ears, the MASTERs sound better through straight USB into the KEFs.  I always select the MASTER version of an album if available, on the belief that the re-mastering will improve the dynamic range of the recording.  The Tidal app on my PC decodes the first "unfolding" which may be enough for my ears.

56 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I tried using my Meridian Explorer2 with Tidal MASTERs into the RCA on the KEF.  To my old (68) ears, the MASTERs sound better through straight USB into the KEFs.  I always select the MASTER version of an album if available, on the belief that the re-mastering will improve the dynamic range of the recording.  The Tidal app on my PC decodes the first "unfolding" which may be enough for my ears.

My 57 year old ears preferred the full MQA through the Meridian :-)

After five weeks of pleasurable listening, the LS50W has cured my Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS).  I believe I have reached my end game system.

Now, I only read the gear reviews to see the favorite tracks the reviewers are using to test new gear.

I also enjoy discovering  new albums on Tidal.

Does this mean that I am now a Musicphile, and no longer an Audiophile?

25 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

After five weeks of pleasurable listening, the LS50W has cured my Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS).  I believe I have reached my end game system.

Now, I only read the gear reviews to see the favorite tracks the reviewers are using to test new gear.

I also enjoy discovering  new albums on Tidal.

Does this mean that I am now a Musicphile, and no longer an Audiophile?

I'm pretty much the same way. :-). I'm getting a second set to replace the Vanatoo's in my bedroom.

When changing the sub settings, you have to be on wifi but it does carry to other sources and when turning it off. If you loose power to the speakers however, you will have to reset up everything from the wifi on down to your settings. I upgraded power cables on mine and that's how I found out.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

4 hours ago, bunno77 said:

Is it possible or is anyone currently streaming Tidal etc to these via Linn Kazoo or Bubble Upnp?

In my livingroom rig( Pioneer sc27 HT receiver) I am using a chromecast audio, optical out to the receiver, using bubbleUpnp and tidal. It works well.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

8 hours ago, erniejade said:

In my livingroom rig( Pioneer sc27 HT receiver) I am using a chromecast audio, optical out to the receiver, using bubbleUpnp and tidal. It works well.

Ahh ok but you cant stream it direct to the speaker via bubble upnp? There is no dlna/upnp or actual wireless functionality yet?

Ya know what, I have not tried it direct to the speakers! I will do that tonight.    I have a Lumin D1 that I control with my ipad going to the KEF but, I never thought of trying it via BubbleUpnp on the wifi end.  

I have used the kef app to my NAS running minimserver. It finds it all but, its buggy with pauses, dropouts, and just all out frustrating.  The Lumin going to it sounded better and never any drop outs.

Bubble can stream right to the speakers. My cell is old ( Samsung galaxy s3 ) so it chugged a little with uncompressed stuff but tidal streamed no problem. No problem with flac either. Just the uncompressed wav took it a few seconds to kick in.  After it started, no problem at all. 

1 hour ago, erniejade said:

Bubble can stream right to the speakers. My cell is old ( Samsung galaxy s3 ) so it chugged a little with uncompressed stuff but tidal streamed no problem. No problem with flac either. Just the uncompressed wav took it a few seconds to kick in.  After it started, no problem at all. 

That's great news thank you very much for the reply. It seems so many people buy streamers etc when an app is all that is needed,  Linn kazoo is a pretty good app with tidal integrated too. 

Hope it all works well for you. 

In Australia these speakers are $3,800 rrp and the first pair used (secondhand) has just been advertised for $3,000. Even considering exchange rates we get stooged here. 

Ouch!   That is a huge difference! Do they have any kind of import tax? Otherwise maybe a distributor in the USA can ship a set for several hundred less?