IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

IMO, the Raspberry Pi/Hifiberry is an inexpensive way to get things working until Roon support is built-in. I bought the LPS-1 for mine but haven't had a chance to test it yet as I'm waiting for the USB adaptor to arrive.

As for MQA support, I was reading a blog recently where some testing was done and in those tests there was no measurable difference with MQA so I'm skeptical.

14 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

Thanks, I think if you use the RCA from the Node 2 to the Kefs it uses the Kef dac but then you get the digital to analog conversion.

I thought about the Aries mini but I feel that anything I get has to support MQA too.  If the Aries mini connects by usb which dac does it use?  It's own or the Kefs?

My understanding is that you are using the KEF DAC regardless of what input you use. I did read one review where the author used an external DAC and reported some subtle changes to the sound even though the KEF DAC was also used so your mileage may vary. I have a Yggdrasil DAC but haven't bothered to see if there is any noticeable difference yet.

3 minutes ago, Arcus said:

My understanding is that you are using the KEF DAC regardless of what input you use. I did read one review where the author used an external DAC and reported some subtle changes to the sound even though the KEF DAC was also used so your mileage may vary. I have a Yggdrasil DAC but haven't bothered to see if there is any noticeable difference yet.

I remember now what I was thinking...if you use optical you don't get the full MQA unfolding but with RCA you do.  I connected my Meridian Explorer 2 to the Kefs using RCA and MQA sounds amazing.

My TV is connected to the Kefs by optical so I can't really use the optical port for anything else unless that device has the TV connected to it instead and then to the Kef's.

I hear a very noticeable difference with MQA to the point where it may make my vinyl collection superfluous if we get more MQA tracks.  With two of the three major studios signed on it looks like we will.

Kef told me they. are looking at both Roon and MQA for these speakers but who knows if it will actually happen.

16 minutes ago, Arcus said:

IMO, the Raspberry Pi/Hifiberry is an inexpensive way to get things working until Roon support is built-in. I bought the LPS-1 for mine but haven't had a chance to test it yet as I'm waiting for the USB adaptor to arrive.

As for MQA support, I was reading a blog recently where some testing was done and in those tests there was no measurable difference with MQA so I'm skeptical.

There is a lot out there about MQA and I have never seen anyone say it doesn't sound great and a noticeable difference.  Plus there is a lot of data showing this.

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/why-mqa/

14 minutes ago, Arcus said:

I saw that one.  He is comparing an MQA track that is not the full MQA.  Like so many other formats not all MQA is created equal and it depends on the origin source.  He should also be comparing a lot more tracks and in general makes a lot of assumptions admitting he doesn't really know all the details.

He has a lot of detail in here but it seems like he was trying tp prove something he already believed.

If you haven't heard it for yourself try it and see what you think.

Back to the Aries Mini, I think it is a full Round endpoint now not just an Airplay endpoint?  Auralic said that would not happen with the Mini but it seems they relented.

OK found it,  Roon and MQA on the Aries Mini :-)

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/auralic-new-beta-firmware-5-0-support-in-house-mqa-decoding-web-browser-interface-and-roonready-for-aries-mini/24267

Apparently Aurilac is somehow reverse engineering MQA decoding themselves.

Once I get away from using optical with the speakers, I'll definitely give MQA a try. I wish we knew when Roon support was going to be added.
Yes, I was just reading their firmware release notes and Roon support has been added which is great for those that have one! It's interesting that Aries say it's not an audiophile quality device. I guess they just don't want to erode sales of their more expensive products.

24 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

OK found it,  Roon and MQA on the Aries Mini :-)

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/auralic-new-beta-firmware-5-0-support-in-house-mqa-decoding-web-browser-interface-and-roonready-for-aries-mini/24267

Apparently Aurilac is somehow reverse engineering MQA decoding themselves.

I'm not sure that Auralic is saying they have their own way to unfold MQA or reverse engineer it. Most of the Roon community posts start based on the Darko post below, which also has good news for folks who don't want to add the cost of an apple device to the purchase price of an Auralic product. 

IMO, for the money, there's not much that can touch the Aries mini for value and flexibility now that Roon endpoint support is on the table and less expensive control methods are finally becoming reality.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/04/auralic-firmware-v5-0-adds-dsp-engine-web-browser-control/

Yes, having both Airplay and Roon support is really helpful. Currently, I'm using my Transporter via optical for Roon and then unplugging it and plugging in my old Apple TV via optical for Apple Music. It sounds like the Aries would eliminate that hassle.

Having said that, is there any noticeable difference outputting optical via RCA to the speakers? I'm curious if using two DACs in sequence changes anything.

On another note, too bad my LPS-1 isn't sufficient to power the Aries Mini :(

34 minutes ago, http404 said:

I'm not sure that Auralic is saying they have their own way to unfold MQA or reverse engineer it. Most of the Roon community posts start based on the Darko post below, which also has good news for folks who don't want to add the cost of an apple device to the purchase price of an Auralic product. 

IMO, for the money, there's not much that can touch the Aries mini for value and flexibility now that Roon endpoint support is on the table and less expensive control methods are finally becoming reality.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/04/auralic-firmware-v5-0-adds-dsp-engine-web-browser-control/

Aurilac has specifically made the statement that they are creating their own method rather than pay licensing fees and will use no MQA code.  It's on their Facebook page among other things and it seems pretty clear from Darko's post too.

The Aries Mini is pretty tempting right now.  I think it still comes with a full year of Tidal too?

46 minutes ago, Arcus said:

Yes, having both Airplay and Roon support is really helpful. Currently, I'm using my Transporter via optical for Roon and then unplugging it and plugging in my old Apple TV via optical for Apple Music. It sounds like the Aries would eliminate that hassle.

Having said that, is there any noticeable difference outputting optical via RCA to the speakers? I'm curious if using two DACs in sequence changes anything.

On another note, too bad my LPS-1 isn't sufficient to power the Aries Mini :(

46 minutes ago, Arcus said:

Having said that, is there any noticeable difference outputting optical via RCA to the speakers? I'm curious if using two DACs in sequence changes anything.:(

I've seen people say different things about that on other forums.  RCA vs optical.  It sounds like the digitization isn't obvious but it's a subjective thing.

1 minute ago, Arcus said:

From what I can tell, it seems like the 1 year Tidal subscription offer in the US @ $549 has now expired. In Canada, they only came with a 3 month subscription.

Yeah looks like it.  I get Tidal for a military discount so it doesn't cost me much anyway.  I also have subs ti Apple Music and Pandora.  Even Pandora sounds great through the Kefs.

3 minutes ago, Arcus said:

At $499 it's still a very good option with Airplay and Roon. I've been reluctant to pay $20 per month for Tidal HiFi when we have a family Apple Music sub although I really love the Roon integration.

I got it for MQA,

Sorry, I just realized you were talking about connecting directly to the Mac. I have a Netgear Orbi network and have the speakers plugged into the ethernet port on one of the Orbi satellites. I haven't connected directly to my Mac Mini.

So far... the only way I have accomplished a wireless connection from a MacBook or Mac mini is Bluetooth. Seems that iPad is the only way to connect via wireless network. 

I will attempt wired network with Mac mini today.... although I'm in the dark on the speaker end (as for which input button to select) Guess I'll just turn off wireless on Mini and see if it works...

17 hours ago, gbryant said:

Question....

How do I use the LS50W on a Wired network? I don't see anything in the manual, do I simply plug it in? 

Guess I can shut down my wifi and see if I can play music from Mac mini hardwired to network???

I have connected my LS50W directly to my LAN hub with an Ethernet cable.  Then, I can connect using the LS50Wireless app on my iPad or iPhone.  The app allows you to browse MP3 or Apple music files and play them via the wireless LAN to the speakers.  I cannot load lossless music files to my iPad music library, so I experience less than stellar SQ.  Bluetooth and Wireless is inferior to using the USB connection from my PC.

Im interested in the Kef actives - in regards to the subwoofer crossover setting in the advanced settings, is it right that you can only alter these setting via the kef wi fi connection app??

Does it not save these settings as I’m sure when I borrowed a pair - the settings  would reset after you turn the Kef’s off?? - That would be a disaster

I plan to connect direct via usb into iMac - 

That's the way it works now so, in my case, I have to switch back and forth from optical to wireless to make changes. Having said that, sometimes I can make changes in the app while in optical mode so the app (after being connected to the speakers in wireless mode) can still communicate for a short period of time while in optical. I'm sure they will update the app to address this issue in future.

The settings are saved as long as there is power to the speakers. I haven't unplugged the speakers but I believe that I read on this forum that you lose settings if the power goes out.

1 minute ago, Arcus said:

That's the way it works now so, in my case, I have to switch back and forth from optical to wireless to make changes. Having said that, sometimes I can make changes in the app while in optical mode so the app (after being connected to the speakers in wireless mode) can still communicate for a short period of time while in optical. I'm sure they will update the app to address this issue in future.

The settings are saved as long as there is power to the speakers. I haven't unplugged the speakers but I believe that I read on this forum that you lose settings if the power goes out.

Yes I have just had this confirmed by Kef - Im not interested in the wireless element of the speaker as I will be using the USB connection to iMac 

They are seeking confirmation from their headquarters in China for a fix 

I can’t believe that the subwoofer settings are not saved and are reset after turning them off??