IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

[...] Shivkumar Sharma introduced me to the sound of the santoor with an album entitled "Sampradaya" where he is accompanied by his son on santoor. [...]

Looks like a kind of hammered dulcimer. They're actually quite widespread around the world, e.g. in Gypsy and Chinese music. The famous violin piece Csárdás by Vittorio Monti was based on Hungarian folk tune that's often accompanied by Hungarian dulcimer called cimbalom. Here, it's played on Chinese dulcimer called yangqin:

The showy 16th note staccato runs in the violin version makes total sense when played this way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Raag Darbari by Ustad Irshad Khan on Surbahar (bass sitar) with Sukhwinder Singh on Jori [...]

Hmm... He is one of Ustad Imrat Khan's sons. Even more interesting, he's based out of Mississauga, Canada which is a subsurb of Toronto. And looks like he's regularly giving recital at University of Toronto. Got to keep an eye out for that. Thanks.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, rando said:

If you simply cannot hang in there try the 1:00 minute mark.

Very good, except that this really isn't music of the world :)

It's originally from Handel's harpsichord suite No. 7. I went through it on the Song of the Day thread quite extensively around middle of June this year, including the original version, Halvorsen's transcription for violin & viola duet which this saw duet is based on, and a harmonic analysis of the original version. The last one most interesting as it shows just how the piece works: do-fa-ti-mi-la-re-sol-do descending 5th sequence through almost the whole thing with hardly any modulation. Jaw on the floor man x-D

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Although I have been interested in Far Eastern religion/philosophy since my teens I never became fond of eg Chinese or Japanese music that much (prefered for example Indian music). I needed posts on this thread to appreciate eg pipa music. Would be nice to get some more recommendations of music from this part of the world.

Try Jiang Ting's Voice of the Pipa from MA Recordings. I personally like Lien Peiju's Whisper a little better. It's MA Recordings catalog number M090A. But for some reason, it's still not on MA's website after 2 years.

Now hardcore collector of Chinese music really should get familiar with hugodisc.com. On Pipa side, try Pipa pieces in Martial Style, and Pipa pieces in Literary Style. The artist here is Wong Chi-Ching who is one of the section leads of Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra. Ambush from Ten Sides, being in martial style, would be on the first album.

You really can't beat the depth of Hugo's catalog. Problem though is it might be difficult to get its albums in the west. Hugo itself is based in Hong Kong and its albums are quite readily available there and in big cities in China. But around here, specific albums would often have to be special ordered from Asian audiovisual store in Chinatown.

Personally though, I'm much more of a Qin than Pipa person. In the process of collecting the entire Hugo Guqin Music Series at the moment. Many of the recent titles are excellent. But if I'm forced to pick one, Goose Landing on Flat Sand would be it.

• 8 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 2:27 PM, sphinxsix said:

Last time I listened to No theater music was many years ago and it was unacceptable for me back then but it seems I got to give it another try. [...]

Noh is steeped in tradition, so it could be difficult. And worst, of the four aspects of Noh, i.e. music, choreography, literature (text), dramatic effects (costumes, masks, etc), an audio recording only captures the first. Give it another try. Just know that a big chunk would still likely to be missed. For a little taste, here is a version of the lion dance towards the end of the play:

By the way, the stone bridge in this case is likely a reference to the Stone Bridge of Joshu, which in Chinese is a word play between name of a place and a well known Zen master. But I'll stop before people start calling me a religious troll 9_9

• 9 months later...
On 4/18/2019 at 7:49 AM, sphinxsix said:

Wow! Even I in my good old days didn't drive like that! x-D

Actually, the passing situation for the GT-R doesn't look that all daunting at the beginning. Probably the jump in the air upset the car's balance and spooked the driver. Checking the place in Google Street View, there seems to be possibility of bringing things back in control by keeping to the left shoulder, then get back on the right side once the center divide is done. From the video, looks like the car was allowed to cross to the right then jump into the field on north side of Ballenger Creek Pike. Ouch :(

On 4/18/2019 at 10:23 AM, sphinxsix said:

If these aren't $150k, 600hp rikshas, I'm impressed x-D

GT-Rs are all over the place around here in the summer. They're all gone in the winter and hasn't come back this time yet. How does one tell a Nismo from a regular GT-R at a glance from the outside by the way?

19 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

[...] No need for fancy outline, just pure function, raw and direct.

No fancy outline, pure function, raw and direct like this right?

DSC_4823.jpg?format=1500w