IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JR,

I received my 2.5 card a few days ago. Push, click and out with the old. Push, click and in with the new. Re-discover, re-name and reset settings in Roon and I am playing music. No drama, and it sounds great. Seems very detailed, dynamic and full sounding.

Again Thanks,

Bob

7 minutes ago, Cool3r King said:

In answer to this Jesus said 'No worries, press away'

Did you do that? What does it install if you press the update? I received my card just now and it's all installed and says the same thing. Can anyone tell me what happens if you do press the update please?

Thank you

No worries. It will only install updates to 2.5. BTW, there is a new one this AM.

• vortecjr unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a question for JR:

Is it possible for SO 2.5 to support ASIO as an output mode from ROON RAAT on my microRendu?

I ask because the ROON RAAT installation on my Win 10 PC which feeds my desktop system will output via ASIO to my BelCanto uLink and it sounds better than the WASAPI Exclusive mode which is the other option that is available for this private zone.

The BelCanto driver is installed on the PC and must have the ASIO ability as part of the driver. I do not know if Linux which is what SO 2.5 is based on even has support for ASIO or not.

I have another uLink in my main system so this would be a welcome option.

Thanks,

Bob

BTW: SO 2.5 is great and an improvement over 2.3. Thanks for your and your team's hard work on this.

Jesus,

Is it possible to get an update to enable PCM 1.5xxx/DSD 1024 output from my uRendu? My Holo Spring 2 supports this and the HQPlayer NAA supports it. I would like to try the PCM 1.5 xxx option now and maybe the DSD 1024 option later if I ever build a server that could do it. The PCM 1.5xxx processing is within the ability of my current hardware. I am not sure if this is a software limitation of sonicOrbiter or a hardware limitation of the Rendu series.

Thanks,

Bob

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Have you tried it as is?

Jesus, Just tried it and distorted sound is all I can get. It does show the correct 1.5xxx as the incoming signal on the Spring 2. HQP and Roon are also showing the correct numbers so I would guess that the uRendu software or hardware is the problem. I thought I remembered that the Rendus topped out at 7xxx/512. I think I saw something about it in a post by Barrows recently. It is not a big deal as 7xxx PCM sounds great but I had just wanted to see if 1.5xxx PCM was any better.

32 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Your guess is as good as mine since I have no way to check it. Even if they were to send us a DAC Andrew at SGC would need to build a crazy machine just to try it. What other tests have you done with those rates? 

Anyway, let’s start by having a look at the output of Apps / DAC Diagnostics?

Holo Audio Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 1
    Packet Size = 1024
    Momentary freq = 1411200 Hz (0xb0.6666)
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000, 1411200, 1536000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S16_LE
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000, 1411200, 1536000
  Interface 1
    Altset 3
    Format: SPECIAL DSD_U32_BE
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 1411200 (1411200/1)
period_size: 7056
buffer_size: 28224
Simple mixer control 'Holo Audio Internal Clock Validity',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard  Playback S',0
  Capabilities: pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback [on]
  Front Right: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard  Playback S',1
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard  Playback V',0
  Capabilities: volume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 127
  Front Left: 127 [100%]
  Front Right: 127 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard  Playback V',1
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Capture channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 127
  Mono: 127 [100%]
LOGO

Copyright © 2008 - 2019 Simple Design, LLC . All rights reserved.

Here it is. This is while playing 44.1 material from Tidal/Roon ( running on a Win 10/64 machine) up-sampled to 1.4112 PCM using HQPlayer (also running on the same Win 10/64 machine. There is music playing but it is garbled and distorted. Just to be clear, I cannot even try DSD 1024 and don't care about that. My machine will do DSD 256 just fine and DSD 512 if pushed but I actually prefer the sound of PCM to any DSD rate that I can do. When I play PCM 7xxx all works fine and sounds great. Thanks for looking at this but don't spend too much time on it as all I wanted to do was an experiment to see if PCM 1.5xx filtering was any better than PCM 7xx filtering. This is not anything critical. I do suspect that others may have similar questions about The ability to use these rates going forward.
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I'm not aware of a limitation on this. I also have no way to test it.

I will test it and let you know when 2.8 is released. Currently 768 PCM/512 DSD is as high as my uRendu will go. My HOLO Spring 2 will do 1,536/1024 but my HQPlayer computer will only go to 512 DSD but 1.536 PCM is no problem. When I try 1.536 PCM now it is garbled. The likely problem is that the bitrate for 1.536 should be about 100 Mbps but 70 Mbps is all that gets thru. I have no idea where the bottle neck is. I will test the new kernel when I get it. This is not a big issue as 768 PCM is probably all that is needed. 

1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

It's hard to say if flow control is available on a router.   

There is no setting for flow control that I can find in the router. I did verify that it is activated on the server machine (Win 10/64/1909) PC. Let's see what happens with 2.8 when you have it ready. It could be the HQP NAA (there is a newer version) or the Linux kernel. I have not asked Jussi but I did ask Tim at Kitsune and he thought it was the Linux  kernel. He said that he has seen it before. Several months ago I suggested that you contact him about it. I forgot about it since then as it is ultimately not very important to me. I just thought that at some point down the road that it may become an issue for you. BTW, are we getting close on 2.8? If you want to send me a prior to release version of 2.8, I will test it for you or I will just wait for the release.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

Yes, that listed "New modern Kernel, updated apps, return of Spotify (beta). I'm also trying to include Compact Disc Digital Audio Streaming as discussed here"

So kernel updates were made with the 2.5 update, which was physical delivery, but since then there was the 2.6 & 2.7 which were download based updates.

"updated apps" - which ones, and with what additional functionality/features?

With the replacement SD card with the 2.8 release at $29 plus shipping - what is included and what difference to an existing system will this update make?

What is the impact of not making paying for this update?

These details are normally covered in Release Notes - what bugs are fixed, what new functionality is introduced, what are the known renaming issues etc.

image.thumb.png.79f42e84e57029ad36ad5cde0f364358.png

As I remember, 2.6 & 2.7 also required the replacement of the SD card. If everything is working fine for you, then don't upgrade.

2 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

I had a SonicOrbiterSE which ran at 2.3 & update to 2.5 wasn’t supported, but added significant kernel updates.

I then upgraded this for an UltraRendu which came with 2.5, then 2.6 and 2.7 were downloaded via the Software Upgrade route.

So just trying to determine what is included with 2.8 and what is delivered for upgrade cost.

Simon

You probably are not going to get any more detail than what has already been provided so it will cost you $29 to try it out, but as I said, if everything is working fine then there is no urgent need for you to upgrade.