IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

On 10/4/2019 at 1:49 AM, mlknez said:

Thank you for the reply.  I tried using that version of SACD_extract.  I have some SACD .iso files that hang at 99% when extracting .dsf files.  The source .iso files play just fine on jriver 25.  Anyone have this issue?  Any fixes?

I used to have the same problems with iso file. 

I managed to make some improvements to sacd_extract to resolve the 99% infinite loop.

If you want to try it can be found here (version for Windows & Linux):

https://github.com/EuFlo/sacd-ripper/releases/tag/0.3.9.3

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Timb5881 said:

So do your files, do they go on the flash drive?   I should point out that the files get ripped but when I play back the files I get an error:

Unable to open item for playback (Seek offset out of range):
"E:\Various Artists - Original Soundtrack - O Brother, Where Art Thou\01 - James Carter & the Prisoners - Po Lazarus.dff"

Unable to open item for playback (Seek offset out of range):
"E:\Various Artists - Original Soundtrack - O Brother, Where Art Thou\02 - Harry McClintock - Big Rock Candy Mountain.dff"

It looks that flash drive is full and cannot write dff files (there are empty files)

Try to rip ISO file only on the flash. Then try to convert ISO file to DFF/DSF files on desktop/laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, austinpop said:

I have 2 questions to pose to the group experts:

1. has there been any progress on this pop/crackle issue in later releases of sacd_extract?

I have made a small progress in updating the sacd_extract (in a pre-release ver.  0.3.9.3) by take in account of Track_Start_Time  and Time Code for each audio frames belonging to that track.  And the padding is made with '0x69' s instead of '0x00's. See pm for more details.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Sidemounter said:

In reply to EugenF's interesting offer some 26 or so minutes ago [***], is there any chance of a parallel version for MacOS, please ? We're not all using 'Windoze' (any more...) ...   Thanks in advance for any hint as to whether this is even a possibility, and (if so) when I should start to be hopeful ! 

(*** : "I someone are interested in testing an improved pre-release version of sacd_extract (wide char filenames - for Windows version, long names of folders, more integrity checks of audio frames, exporting xml file with metadata form disc and more) here is my compilation: ......................")

Don't have a toolchain setup to compile for MAC yet (nor hardware to test it). Sorry 😞. In the near future will try to setup a right toolchain for cross compile with apple target.

2 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

Thanks very much!  It would be helpful if you implemented some more definitive version control so people like me don't get mixed up on what we are running.

Your are right, but I want to keep the same link and don't want to increase the version number for that moment.

5 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I cannot imagine anything that would justify re-ripping a large library.  I can imagine switching to a new version for subsequent rips.

Indeed Kal!

ISO's ripped with old versions with sacd_extract are ok. Nothing changed fundamentally here.  

In case of dsf/dff files maybe only for those guys who are very sensible to pops/crackles noises.   

21 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

I've just downloaded this latest version, but SACDExtractGUI only appears to display its own version number. I can't see any reference to what version of sacd_extract.exe is being run. Do I need new glasses or have I misunderstood what you mean by version control?

Version is shown with test button on SACDExtractGUI

or 

sacd_extract -v

And returned:

sacd_extract version 0.3.9.3, built commit hash: 0.3.9.3-23-gb562b812f5984d6d181dd21961d422c28484c0aa

Every version of  build is now taken from git commit hash to know what release is.

The future builds will have automatically (from git) numbers like this: 0.3.9.3-24-hash..., 0.3.9.3-25-hash.....

On 2/19/2020 at 1:22 AM, austinpop said:
  1. 0.3.9.3-23 pop is very slightly louder than the @mindsetversion in SACDExtreactGUI - but without "padding-less DSF."

Very funny  🙃 . In this case both apps are creating tracks with identical audio content, except mine adds a few more bytes for performer id3 tag. The first track generated by mindset app is bigger because pause is included in it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, bradandbree said:

My next issue is the popping noise.  I was delighted when my re-converted .dsf files had just the slightest noise when changing tracks, although the combination of the non-gapless and noisy transition from movement 3 to 4 of Beethoven's 5th is almost enough to make me scrap my project altogether. However, I've noticed that when the tracks are multichannel, the popping noise is terrible, and happens both at the end of one track and the beginning of the next.

Dear Brad,

The crackles/pops noises of dsf files is indeed a real problem.  
This is specially very annoying when tracks has no pauses in between and the level of audio signal is high.

In my opinion, here are the main causes:

a) by definition, dfs files has ID3 tags located at the end of files. Players spend more time seeking and reading at the end of file then came back at the beginning of file to start playing. Dsf files are large ones. Multichannel dsf files are bigger. For a network transfer is a big stress. Even local transfer has problems with large file manipulations.
b) huge ID3tags with lots of information to process at playing time;
c) dsf files have incorrect data in dsd header, audio streams or ID3 tags;
d) dsd audio data stream is improper processed by players.

To reduce pops/crackles you can try made DSF files:
-  first test your player with DSF files having no ID3 tags. In this way it reveals if pops/crackles are caused by the player itself;
-  with minimal ID3V2.3 tags, the benefit is smaller ID3 data to process; 
-  with minimal ID3V2.4 tags, here the benefit is using syncsafe integers (of ID3 frame size) which will not interfere with audio data stream;
-  with padding-less option activated; 
-  concatenate dsf files.

You can try do all these by using this sacd_extract client app (Linux and Window - and in near future MAC version):

https://github.com/EuFlo/sacd-ripper/releases/tag/0.3.9.3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...