IGNORED

Brinkmann Nyquist dac with DSD, Roon & MQA

The Roon compatibility caught my eye (meaning ethernet input).

DSD128: it fits if you think in DoP terms (max 384 kHz input).

This I like though:

“Given that future formats will inevitably appear, both the Hardware and Software of "Nyquist's" Digital Module are easily user-replaceable.”

DSD1024 upgrade in a year or two?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Lindemann's new Musicbook DSDs go to 256FS...

DSD is the new analogue! | Hi-Fi+

Interesting, another DSD 256 DAC to check out :-)

Meanwhile from Denmark is this interesting Preamp PD2, which has a AKM4490EQ based DAC doing DSD 256 with a XMOS USB receiver

Preamp PD2 | PHISON AUDIO

I am looking forward to meeting Sonny Anderson and his latest creation in Munich :-)

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

A very nice DSD256 capable DAC with AK4490 from Australia for AUD 1000 !!!

The Gieseler Klein DAC II Official Release & Updates - Gieseler Audio - StereoNET

Clic on the left side to "only posts" and scroll down to see some pictures:

Gieseler Audio's Content - StereoNET[forums][searchInKey]=&userMode=content

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Hi, sorry i did not reply right away. I needed to do some read up on the forum before making a post.

I have spoken with Edward a couple of times of the last 1 1/2 year i think. We have also written emails together. He is a really nice guy and has done a lot of work on the DSD platform.

I really are looking forward to meet Edward and others at the Munich Show. I will be at the DSD fest as well. Will Audiopax be there as well?

BR

Sonny

Hi, sorry i did not reply right away. I needed to do some read up on the forum before making a post.

I have spoken with Edward a couple of times of the last 1 1/2 year i think. We have also written emails together. He is a really nice guy and has done a lot of work on the DSD platform.

I really are looking forward to meet Edward and others at the Munich Show. I will be at the DSD fest as well. Will Audiopax be there as well?

BR

Sonny

Sonny,

what do you think about the new DSD512 capable AKM AK4497 ?

KR

Matt

BR

Sonny

Hi Sonny,

We are planning to have the Audiopax Pre-Amp at BMW Welt. This is the Audiopax preamp model which won a Blue Moon award at 6moons and features the Timbre Lock control

See you next week !

Best Regards

Edward

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Sonny,

what do you think about the new DSD512 capable AKM AK4497 ?

KR

Matt

I have not been able to test it yet, but when you go up in frequency what we see with Digital and analog circuits is that the digital signal starts to feed through into the analog path.

But if it is only the master clock and the feedthrough is uniform, then the lowpass filter takes care of that.

DSD512 would require a 44.592MHz clock and if you use digital isolators distortion in timing starts to get a bigger problem. I do not say it is a problem but it is something that needs to be addressed or at least checked.

BR

Sonny

I have not been able to test it yet, but when you go up in frequency what we see with Digital and analog circuits is that the digital signal starts to feed through into the analog path.

But if it is only the master clock and the feedthrough is uniform, then the lowpass filter takes care of that.

DSD512 would require a 44.592MHz clock and if you use digital isolators distortion in

timing starts to get a bigger problem. I do not say it is a problem but it is something that needs to be addressed or at least checked.

BR

Sonny

Thank you, Sonny,

is there any chance to listen to the PD2 at HighEnd Munich or Hifideluxe ?

KR

Matt

Thank you, Sonny,

is there any chance to listen to the PD2 at HighEnd Munich or Hifideluxe ?

KR

Matt

No, i am sorry. At the time for the exhibition planning started we where not ready.

Mit deiner name gehe ich davon aus dass du aus deutchland stamt? Wenn das der fall ist könnten wir vielleicht einer demo machen aber es hängt davon ab wo do zuhörhst :)

No, i am sorry. At the time for the exhibition planning started we where not ready.

Mit deiner name gehe ich davon aus dass du aus deutchland stamt? Wenn das der fall ist könnten wir vielleicht einer demo machen aber es hängt davon ab wo do zuhörhst :)

Hi Sonny,

looking forward to seeing you at the DSD512 Fest in Munich next week.

KR

Matt

• 10 months later...

Has anyone listened to the Brinkmann Nyquist?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Has anyone listened to the Brinkmann Nyquist?

Yes I had about 2 hours with it and was impressed. It sounds great in PCM and DSD128 sounded really good too. That said, I like my Ayre QX5/Twenty better. I feel the Ayre's bass is better and I think the mids are also more natural. I think that Ayre has the best pace and rhythm than anything up to the Totaldac for twice the price. That said, the Nyquest is a great unit and they will sell plenty of them, that's for sure. Great company with great products. I just felt that their DAC would have been a bit better overall than my Ayre and I didn't get that.

Yes I had about 2 hours with it and was impressed. It sounds great in PCM and DSD128 sounded really good too. That said, I like my Ayre QX5/Twenty better. I feel the Ayre's bass is better and I think the mids are also more natural. I think that Ayre has the best pace and rhythm than anything up to the Totaldac for twice the price. That said, the Nyquest is a great unit and they will sell plenty of them, that's for sure. Great company with great products. I just felt that their DAC would have been a bit better overall than my Ayre and I didn't get that.

TotalDac is on my list. However, the complexity of listening to one of these (they don't have a US distributor) is a PITA.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

TotalDac is on my list. However, the complexity of listening to one of these (they don't have a US distributor) is a PITA.

go read Michael Lavorgna's review of the Ayre. He owns the Totaldac and he said the the SQ between the two is so small, that he doesn't think it's worth the difference. I have that same problem with DAC's that are over 10k right now. The quality difference isn't worth it for me and honestly, I don't LOVE the DCS or some of the other high priced ones. I do love the Totaldac, but to me the Ayre is just so musical and revealing. I find that like most great pieces of equipment the true magic is in the micro and macro detail. That's why Vandersteen speakers and Ayre electronics get so correct. There are a few others who also do the same, but usually for much more money. I like products that high about their heads no matter what range they are in.

Some want the last nuance of and are willing to pay the extra 10k plus to get it. I applaud them as I'm not able to do that. I love the Brinkman tables. I feel that Basis and Brinkman make some of the best tables for the money in each of their price ranges. I have friends who do rooms with the Brinkman folks all the time, so I trust that they will also stand behind their gear. That said I like the sound of the Ayre better for the reasons I shared, but I also feel the Ayre offers so much more of a digital front end going forward and they will also offer any hardware updates in the future as they do for their other products. That's so important to me when spending this kind of money on a product.

I also won't purchase a product that won't have a full size company behind it and won't take great customer care.

Haven't heard the Ayre but Vandersteen also does well with anything designed by Mike Moffatt.

Joe, the Moffatt stuff isn't in the same league as the Ayre QX5/Twenty, but for the cost it shouldn't be. I have had the Codex in a system vs the Shiit DAC and I felt the Codex just had better pace and a more natural mid range. It was a bit smoother on top, while keeping the detail. I remember just liking it better on Driving Towards the Daylight from Joe Bonamassa. Both are outstanding values though.

• 4 months later...