IGNORED

A few non-accurate rips from a CD

Has anyone tried OWC/MacSales and shopped for an external CD/DVD (Blu-Ray not necessary) drive like, for example, an OWC model for $39 such as this.....

OWC Slim USB 2.0 Portable Tray-Loading 8X DVD DL+CD... in stock at OWC

Those things are extremely slow and unreliable. Its the kind of thing you buy if you have to use it once or twice, or maybe as an emergency backup. If you need an external drive, just get a full size external (the ones with a full size internal drive in an external case.). You can just go to a place like Best Buy and get whatever they have. If its not branded for Mac use, you can still buy it and it will work the same anyway. Just make sure that you use good ripping software.

I had this happen with a few CDs.

A lens cleaner might help.

You can also try toothpaste on a scratched CD (hit up Google), it worked for me.

For a new CD without scratches it might not be a solution.

I'd start with ripping on another optical drive.

Also try reducing the ripping speed as much as the drive allows.

Yesterday, I ripped a brand new CD, The Amanda Albums (a Sheffield Lab CD that has the 2 albums of vocalist Amanda McBroom and musician Lincoln Mayorga), into my Mac. I use XLD when ripping all CD's. The XLD "report" on the first album, "Growing Up In Hollywood Town", said "all tracks accurately ripped". The XLD "report" on the second album, "West Of Oz", indicated that tracks 5,6,7, and 8 (of a total of 10 tracks) did not rip accurately.

This is a first for me in my 3 years of ripping CDs (not too many CDs, though). Is there anything I can do about this, or can anyone offer advice or share any similar experiences?

Thanks.....

Clean it if there is any dust. Try using a different optical drive. Try ripping several times into different folders and then compare file checksums. If several readings agree then it is likely that they your rips were correct and AccurateRip wasn't accurate. (This is definitely possible if only a few people have ripped the track, e.g. one who had a bad copy.)

If all fails, purchase the hi-res download (but it may not have all of the tracks).

Originally Posted by master View Post

To rip CDs? Aren't you guys carrying things too far?

Anything is possible if you imagine it hard enough...AudioDoctor

Rips saved directly to and played directly from a USB memory stick with a USB Regen inline sound markedly better than rips saved directly to a USB memory stick without a Regen. - My reply 18

This afternoon I tried this with the 24/192 Soundkeeper recording "Work of Art-Winds of Change." from Barry Diament.

I already had a copy of this album on a USB Memory stick.

Unfortunately, this DVD will not play directly from a media player such as Oppo 95,103 etc. or when using cPlay, due to incorrect header information during the conversion from the original .aiff to .wav files.

I can however play the files directly in the Oppo or with cPlay from the PC if I first open the .wav files in Sound Forge 9,then save the files to the appropriate target destination.

Sound Forge 9 gives an error message about incorrect header information, then if you press O.K. it saves the files with the header information removed.

Previously I had saved the DVD contents to another destination, then opened the files in SF9 and saved them to the USB memory stick.

This time I connected the USB memory stick via a USB Regen using a low noise +9V Linear PSU.

Unlike the previous time I had SF9 open them directly from the DVD, then saved them to the USB memory stick with the header information removed .

When playing these files with cPlay via coax SPDIF , despite both versions being played with the USB Regen in line, there is an even more marked difference between both versions in favour of the Regen version.

The .md5 checksums in both folders on the USB Memory stick are identical.

As Ripley would say .... , and I don't particularly care if you don't !

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Secure "offline" method: rip the CD with two different units (with different chipset...) If the checksums are equal, all ok (different drives, with different chipset, interpolate differently)

If it is a popular CD (with entries in AR and CTDB), you can try to correct the rip with CueTools (you'll need a Windows PC or Wine-PlayOnMac)

Sorry for my english

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)