IGNORED

wtfplay

sligolad

On 8/18/2021 at 1:32 PM, bodiebill said:

Still interesting that Album Player console does not have the problem when playing in DoP mode, so maybe @frd__ has a suggestion?

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

This may be related to way that wtfplay handles the sound device in Linux. When used via wtfcui, wtfplay plays a single file at the time. This means that the sound device is opened before the file is played and closed after the playback is finished. I suspect that AP keeps the sound device open all the time (as long as it is running).

To be honest a lot of those unwanted artifacts depend on the design of USB DAC itself. There are DACs that are completely resistant and silent when switching clocks, switching between DSD/PCP modes, etc...

F

8 hours ago, frd__ said:

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

This may be related to way that wtfplay handles the sound device in Linux. When used via wtfcui, wtfplay plays a single file at the time. This means that the sound device is opened before the file is played and closed after the playback is finished. I suspect that AP keeps the sound device open all the time (as long as it is running).

To be honest a lot of those unwanted artifacts depend on the design of USB DAC itself. There are DACs that are completely resistant and silent when switching clocks, switching between DSD/PCP modes, etc...

F

Thanks Fryderyk, good to know.

audio system

On 8/18/2021 at 12:02 PM, seeteeyou said:

Indeed works great: no more clicking pops at the end of each track, thanks!

I used this fork of sacd_extract:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8zrgu401lb78on0/sacd_extract.zip/file

and run it on Windows.

audio system

• 2 months later...

Maybe i'm wrong, but no you don't ! 

OOTB WTFPlay sounds astonishing...There is no oversampling etc...So you do not need an heavy CPU to enjoy it.
I would say that having a better will change nothing regarding the sound...If your processor works well with WTFPlay (from 44 to 192 and DSD Files), you do not need to upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Frd,

Please, which image should I use to boot with Xeon CPUs?

Thanks.

Taiko Audio Extreme server, MSB Reference Transport, MSB Select DAC with 33 Femto clock, 2 PSUs, powered by Torus AVR 16. Accuphase A-250 powered by Torus AVR 16, each. TAD Reference One.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:27 AM, LLiu said:

Thanks Frd regarding the USB info, I am putting the USB card option on hold as I am looking into the option of extracting I2S signal from the mobo PCIE lane using Pink Faun I2S bridge. I am wondering would the WTF player support this output at the software level? If not I will go back to the USB option.

https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridge/69-4072-i2s-bridge.html#/additional_clock_for_bridge-no/bracket_height-79_2_mm_3_118_inch/compatible_i2s_dac_s-please_select_your_dac

Inspired by Slainte, I tried to boot my server, Supermicro mobo, Xeon 4 cores CPU with 4G Apacer ECC ram, on legacy mode, I found similar differences noticed by Slainte, I just loved the legacy mode boot sound, it brings you closer to the music. As for why it sounds better in my system? that's beyond me ..... 

Lliu, which image did you download to boot in your Xeon CPU? Thanks.

Taiko Audio Extreme server, MSB Reference Transport, MSB Select DAC with 33 Femto clock, 2 PSUs, powered by Torus AVR 16. Accuphase A-250 powered by Torus AVR 16, each. TAD Reference One.

10 hours ago, Armsan said:

I am wondering would the WTF player support this output at the software level?

My PinkFaun I2S bridge (old revision, 2014) works perfectly under Wtfplay (recognised as "hd audio" card). Just one note - this card initialize by Linux from "cold boot" only, but without any restrictions under Windows

2 hours ago, frd__ said:

@ArmsanAny core*  should boot fine Xeon CPUs without any problems. PS. I am sorry for late reply. I was not looking at the forum for a while.

No problem frd. I will try. Thank You very much.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Fred

Just wanted to report my recent experiences pushing the envelope a little with your great player.

I have used WTFPlay for a long while though not exclusively for a variety of reasons and always enjoyed the excellent performance and simplicity.

Currently I am using the software to send music upsampled offline using PGGB to 16fs to a Chord Dave. The results are fantastic even though I note that WTFPlay does not officially support such high data rates. Probaby the best sound I have attained at home. The only issue I get is that sometimes longer tracks (approaching max length for a .wav container) terminate prematurely. This isn't a crash as the next track in the playlist will load up and play as normal. The computer running this has 24gb of ram and all the files are 24bit at either 705 or 768k. I would expect that individual files would not fill the whole available ram but maybe you can clarify that?

Shorter tracks play without issue. When I get an hour spare I will play around with the frame/period parameters to see if I can iron out this behaviour. 

Other than the above issue and the wish for gapless, this is such a great replay solution I intend to continue using it and once again my thanks for making this available to the community.

Hi LowOrbit,

Thanks for bringing this issue up. May I ask you for a few additional details?

1. How large is that WAV file that you have trouble with (in Megabytes)?
  2. Does the playback of this file stops always at the same place? For example, playback stops always after 100 seconds? Or is more or less random?
  3. Have you tried playing that file without wtffui? I mean running wtfplay directly from the command line? If not, would you be able to do that? I am curious if there any messages printed on the screen when the playback fails? For example: "Segmentation fault" would be a pretty good indication that the player crashes :)

F

22 hours ago, frd__ said:

Hi LowOrbit,

2. Does the playback of this file stops always at the same place? For example, playback stops always after 100 seconds? Or is more or less random?
  3. Have you tried playing that file without wtffui? I mean running wtfplay directly from the command line? If not, would you be able to do that? I am curious if there any messages printed on the screen when the playback fails? For example: "Segmentation fault" would be a pretty good indication that the player crashes :)

F

Hi Frd

I will do some testing at the weekend to give you answers to these questions. Just to say meanwhile that this is not one specific file but many, from multiple albums. The one commonality is that they are all long tracks so large files. And the abrupt premature ending of replay occurs close the the end of the file. I'll pull together the specifics you ask for asap.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Mark

On 1/26/2022 at 10:13 AM, frd__ said:

Hi LowOrbit,

F

Hi Fryderick

OK - I made an hour this morning.

So, hw is Asus PRIME microATX B460-A running Intel i3 10100 10th gen cpu and 24gb ram. Media files are on ntfs format SATA drives. USB interface is an Audiowise SRC-DX converting to SPDIF.

I tested several of the tracks I most recently experienced this issue with. All are upsampled to 768/24bit, so the files themselves are large. All tracks were tested in kernel 43 of WTF.

1. the smallest .wav file tested is 2.07gb. This track is 8 minutes and 3 seconds long.

2. I tried three tracks, ran each twice - all replay fine until 7minutes 44 seconds. Playback terminates and wtfcui moves along to the next track. That track also runs fine until 7.44

3. No messages are printed when using the command line to play one of these files. Playback also terminates at 7.44 and returns to the command prompt.

I can send you a file if you would like to experiment. 

Regards

Mark

• 3 weeks later...