IGNORED

Anyone familiar with Marantz Remote App? Trying To Get It To Work With NA8005 Network Audio Player

As the title says, I could use some help getting the Marantz Remote App to work with my new NA8005 controlling my NAS. I got the 8005 installed in my system, and it found Minimserver on my NAS right away. It is even playing music as I speak. I cannot, however, get anywhere with the Marantz Remote App, which I need to effectively control the NA8005. It downloaded it, and installed it from the app store, but it took me automatically to a screen that is telling me to add devices, It says, "if your network connected devices are not automatically appearing in the Device List, you can manually add a device to the list by entering the IP address of the device you want to control. Please use a static IP address (not DHCP) on these devices.

I pulled up the router and identified the IP address of my Synology Diskstation NAS and inputted it, but it says the IP address is not valid. And that is where I am stuck.Since the NAS is clearly working fine, and easily pingable, I'm lost as to how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as without the remote app, I have no way to control what the player accesses.

JC

Apparently the Marantz HI Fi Remote App is a newer, or at least more workable option. I just downloaded that and it DOES see the NAS, and has an at least usable interface. It does however have onscreen controls for cd players, amplifiers including volume, etc. etc., and I'm not sure if the way I'm using it is it's primary intention.

JC

Hi JC

Good to read you've received the NA8005 in one piece and you've managed get it to stream from MinimServer :)

The 'device' being referred to by the Marantz control app is the NA8005, not the NAS!

So find out what the IP address your router has given the NA8005 and use that. Also, if your router can also be set to always use the same IP address for the NA8005 make sure you set that option. Otherwise, you'll need to manually set a static IP address for the NA8005 as per the instructions in the owner's manual (p.86). If you don't make sure the NA8005 connects to the network with the same IP address each time it starts, the Marantz control app will likely prompt you for the NA8005's new IP every next time you use it.

Incidentally, what type of handheld are you using, iOS or Android and did you manage to install the BubbleUPnP Server helper software on the Synology NAS?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi JC

Good to read you've received the NA8005 in one piece and you've managed get it to stream from MinimServer :)

The 'device' being referred to by the Marantz control app is the NA8005, not the NAS!

So find out what the IP address your router has given the NA8005 and use that. Also, if your router can also be set to always use the same IP address for the NA8005 make sure you set that option. Otherwise, you'll need to manually set a static IP address for the NA8005 as per the instructions in the owner's manual (p.86). If you don't make sure the NA8005 connects to the network with the same IP address each time it starts, the Marantz control app will likely prompt you for the NA8005's new IP every next time you use it.

Incidentally, what type of handheld are you using, iOS or Android and did you manage to install the BubbleUPnP Server helper software on the Synology NAS?

John

John, thanks again for the assistance. My router is set to always use the same IP address, so that's covered. I'm using my iPad (2nd generation) to control the NA8005.

I have not tried yet to install the BubbleUPnP software. Do I need it now that I have the 8005 working with the NAS without any issues?

JC

If you are happy with using the Marantz control app for controlling the playback on the NA8005 from the music files served by MinimServer running on the NAS, then there's no need for the BubbleUPnP Server helper application for now.

Should you want to start using the NA8005 to stream from TIDAL, you are going to need to install the BubbleUPnP Server on your Synology NAS. The BubbleUPnP Server will provide the OpenHome emulation required to allow you to use your NA8005 with a TIDAL accessing and OpenHome supporting controller on your iPad, such as the Linn Kazoo app. See relevant post on your other thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/olive-4hd-just-died-need-new-network-player-work-my-network-attached-storage-best-option-%241-200-00-or-less-27445/index3.html#post512328

Don't forget the Linn Kazoo app will also give you access to your music supplied by the MinimServer UPnP media server, as well as access to TIDAL.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

It sounds like your iPad isn't seeing your renderer...

I would start by installing Network Analyzer - ping, traceroute, whois, DNS, net speed, port & wifi scanner by Techet

https://appsto.re/gb/BuvoH.i or the free version Network Analyzer Lite - wifi scanner, ping & net info by Techet

https://appsto.re/gb/H8dHH.i and make sure you can actually see the NA8005. Also check if you can use AirPlay to connect to the NA8005.

Also if you have a interface on your router, connect to it and see if you can see a "connected devices" or similar page and check the NA8005 is listed there.

Eloise

PS. I'm assuming you are using an iPad here ... Sorry if you're using Android I can be of less help.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you are happy with using the Marantz control app for controlling the playback on the NA8005 from the music files served by MinimServer running on the NAS, then there's no need for the BubbleUPnP Server helper application for now.

Should you want to start using the NA8005 to stream from TIDAL, you are going to need to install the BubbleUPnP Server on your Synology NAS. The BubbleUPnP Server will provide the OpenHome emulation required to allow you to use your NA8005 with a TIDAL accessing and OpenHome supporting controller on your iPad, such as the Linn Kazoo app. See relevant post on your other thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/olive-4hd-just-died-need-new-network-player-work-my-network-attached-storage-best-option-%241-200-00-or-less-27445/index3.html#post512328

Don't forget the Linn Kazoo app will also give you access to your music supplied by the MinimServer UPnP media server, as well as access to TIDAL.

The Marantz app has some issues, including showing individual tracks by artists as albums, and other less than ideal interface elements. I think I need to go in another direction, and am especially driven to get Tidal access. Seems like I will have to work out how to install the BubbleUPnP Server software to enable the Linn Kazoo app, or something similar. Sigh........things are never, ever, easy, I thought I had accomplished something by getting the NA8005 working, and functioning with the minimserver on my NAS, only to find out these additional challenges awaited.

JC

Hi JC-

You could try a Chromecast audio for a $35 cheap Tidal solution and then feed it to the Optical input on the Marantz.

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

The Marantz app is doing strange things now. It not showing half of the music I ripped yesterday. How can it only find half of what I've verified is on the NAS from that group of rips?

I seriously need to try to figure out how to install BubbleUPnP on my NAS and go to another app asap

JC

JC, have you rescanned MinimServer's library to make sure it has lnked its internal database to the new music files? The easiest way to do this for MinimServer running on a NAS is to access its status webpage:

http://minimserver.com/ug-running.html#Web%20browser%20status%20page

contentdir3.jpg

Also, are you having difficulty installing the BubbleUPnP Server on your Synology NAS using the instructions & links in my post on your other thread?

-- Jo Cox

JC, have you rescanned MinimServer's library to make sure it has lnked its internal database to the new music files? The easiest way to do this for MinimServer running on a NAS is to access its status webpage:

Running MinimServer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24388[/ATTACH]

Also, are you having difficulty installing the BubbleUPnP Server on your Synology NAS using the instructions & links in my post on your other thread?

John, just left you a PM about the issue I am having. Thanks.

JC

Good news, the Marantz is back in business. Earlier tonight, a good friend who is a network engineer stopped by to assist with resolving the problems. He was able to verify what was seeing what, and eliminate many possible issues to finally get us to the heart of the matter. We were finally able to get everything working. While the network could see the NAS, and the PC could see the NAS and all music files, the Marantz couldn't. Some tweaking in the router, and using the software app of the NAS on my PC suddenly got everything working.Oddly, rebooting the NAS manually/physically did not work previously to that. However it happend, I am simply grateful it's all resolved.

Special thanks to John (Cebolla) for all of his help and support!

JC

Good news, the Marantz is back in business. Earlier tonight, a good friend who is a network engineer stopped by to assist with resolving the problems. He was able to verify what was seeing what, and eliminate many possible issues to finally get us to the heart of the matter. We were finally able to get everything working. While the network could see the NAS, and the PC could see the NAS and all music files, the Marantz couldn't. Some tweaking in the router, and using the software app of the NAS on my PC suddenly got everything working.Oddly, rebooting the NAS manually/physically did not work previously to that. However it happend, I am simply grateful it's all resolved.

Special thanks to John (Cebolla) for all of his help and support!

JC

Good for you! Frequently there is an underlying issue with a network which is hanging up the whole shebang and just as frequently it's blamed on one part of the chain when there is another piece that is the culprit. Congratulations on persevering to unravel the issue!

Would be curious as to the exact measures that were needed to clear things up.

David

From what I can gather, even after physically rebooting, the NAS had still not recovered after the lightning strike and required a restart using software, presumably via the NAS's web browser UI, so not just a network/router configuration issue, according to JC's other thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/aurender-suddenly-doesnt-see-network-attached-storage-need-your-expertise-help-resolve-issue-27759/#post518575

My PM'd contribution really boiled down to suggesting using the logs provided by the MinimServer UPnP media server running on the NAS to see if MinimServer had reported having any issues with the NAS, as my initial suspicion was that the NAS hadn't fully recovered.

-- Jo Cox

Hi JC

John

You'll need a managed layer 3 switch to set static IP address, otherwise a bog standard layer 2 managed switch works with MAC addresses only.

Unmanaged switches are layer 2 PnP only.

BTW, I use Android for BubbleSoft apps.

From what I can gather, even after physically rebooting, the NAS had still not recovered after the lightning strike and required a restart using software, presumably via the NAS's web browser UI, so not just a network/router configuration issue, according to JC's other thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/aurender-suddenly-doesnt-see-network-attached-storage-need-your-expertise-help-resolve-issue-27759/#post518575

My PM'd contribution really boiled down to suggesting using the logs provided by the MinimServer UPnP media server running on the NAS to see if MinimServer had reported having any issues with the NAS, as my initial suspicion was that the NAS hadn't fully recovered.

Perfectly explained, Cebolla

JC

• 4 weeks later...

The Marantz app is pretty terrible (crashes often, rather unpredictable as well), and the 8005 often drops off the network (see my other post in this forum) so I've resorted to primarily using the USB connection and Roon. I've also found that the 8005 can't stream some songs off my NAS that other players (Roon, Audirvana) play just fine. Streaming and networking is clearly not the 8005's strong suit.

The Marantz app is pretty terrible (crashes often, rather unpredictable as well), and the 8005 often drops off the network (see my other post in this forum) so I've resorted to primarily using the USB connection and Roon. I've also found that the 8005 can't stream some songs off my NAS that other players (Roon, Audirvana) play just fine. Streaming and networking is clearly not the 8005's strong suit.

Correct. It crashed tonight for the third time in two weeks and there was NO way to make it work. If there is no alternative to this, I've literally thrown away everything I spent on the Marantz, and need to either sell it or simply trash it outright. I may have to start over again. Clearly, I made a bad choice and will pay for it.

JC

The reason I bought this unt was because it could do both streaming and USB. And do DSD in both. Many other units are restricted this way. If one didn't work well, it was future-proof in the other option.

Is USB not an option for you?

Unfortunately not. Your setup of Roon and USB sounds like the best of all worlds though.

JC

Say, what else are connected to your router—for its services ?

And I know if I call Marantz and complain to their tech support' date=' absolutely nothing will happen.[/quote'] If that's how the American importer is then it's poor servicing of both the customer and the brand-name.

I've now downloaded the NA8005 Owner's Manual, searching « router » the following might prompt someone else to contribute advice and solutions :

[Page 86] « Settings

Configure the proxy settings and IP address.

• If you are using a broadband router (DHCP function), the information required for network connection such as the IP address will be automatically configured since the DHCP function is set to “On” in the default settings of this unit.
  • Set up the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS server information only when assigning a fixed IP address or when connecting to a network without DHCP function.
  • Configure the proxy settings when using a proxy server to connect to the Internet.

DHCP

Selects how to connect to the network.

On (Default) : Configure the network settings : automatically from your router.

Off : Configure the network settings manually.

IP Address

Set the IP address within the ranges shown below.

The Network Audio function cannot be used if other IP addresses

CLASS A : 10.0.0.1 - 10.255.255.254

CLASS B : 172.16.0.1 - 172.31.255.254

CLASS C : 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.254

Subnet Mask

When connecting an xDSL modem or connector adapter directly to this unit, input the subnet mask indicated in the documentation supplied by your provider. Normally input 255.255.255.0.

Gateway

When connected to a gateway (router), input its IP address.

Primary DNS, Secondary DNS

If there is only one DNS address indicated in the documentation supplied by your provider, input it at “Primary DNS”. If two or more DNS are provided by your provider, enter both “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS”.»

And :

[Page 96] « Server is not found, or it is not possible to connect to the server.

• The computer’s or router’s firewall is activated. Check the computer’s or router’s firewall settings.
  • Set’s IP address is wrong. Check the set’s IP address. »

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Well, I thought, that the Marantz app crashed. Now I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. I've rebooted the Marantz a number of times, and also rebooted the iPad that the app resides on. However, the NA8005 starts up fine, but no matter what I do with the app, the 8005 just sits at the song that was on it at the time it stopped playing last night. It does not recognize what I am using the app to tell it to play.

JC

Just tossing some ideas out there (without copying and pasting the manual...):

What happens if you try to connect to the 8005 via a web browser? If you know its IP address, it's another way to see what's going on and possibly "unstick" it.

Also, what if you use the controls on the front of the unit? Can you navigate your NAS and play other songs that way?

Sounds like your NAS could be part of the problem, depending on the software it's running.

-mike

Well, I thought, that the Marantz app crashed. Now I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. I've rebooted the Marantz a number of times, and also rebooted the iPad that the app resides on. However, the NA8005 starts up fine, but no matter what I do with the app, the 8005 just sits at the song that was on it at the time it stopped playing last night. It does not recognize what I am using the app to tell it to play.

JC

On the last update of the app on iOS it specifically wanted the user to unplug the Marantz device then be sure the iPad had been cleared of the app, restart iPad, then app and it should take. I had a lesser problem with some streaming services until I did the unplug, plug back in which fixed issues and now it runs perfectly with all NAS drives, computers, Upnp programs I have running in two different computers. I am also running the simpler Marantz app and nit the "hifi" version.

David

• 2 weeks later...
On the last update of the app on iOS it specifically wanted the user to unplug the Marantz device then be sure the iPad had been cleared of the app, restart iPad, then app and it should take. I had a lesser problem with some streaming services until I did the unplug, plug back in which fixed issues and now it runs perfectly with all NAS drives, computers, Upnp programs I have running in two different computers. I am also running the simpler Marantz app and nit the "hifi" version.

My apologies for the late followup, but two unexpected work trips, and a nasty, long lived virus have delayed pretty much everything. David, thank you VERY much for this, it solved all my issues and I am back up and working with the Marantz.

JC