IGNORED

Who knows their jazz?

who's the artist?

Great share! I spent quite a bit of time browsing KENRICK audio on Youtube after that. Those are some splendid setups and I envy the jazz scene in Japan.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Great share! I spent quite a bit of time browsing KENRICK audio on Youtube after that. Those are some splendid setups and I envy the jazz scene in Japan.

thanks....agreed...i looked at plenty of those clips. i would love to get copies of some of that music....i googled but can't find anything about downloading music from that JAPRS.

who's the artist?

I'd like to know. Neither Shazam nor SoundHound could identify it, and I sampled a bunch of different versions on Tidal with no success.

This is a standard, so there are approximately a zillion covers, and I've seen it recorded under at least four titles:

Manhã de Carnaval

Theme from Black Orpheus

Black Orpheus

Carnaval

Hope someone can identify it.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

But does it swing?

I mean compared to the real deal;

[video=youtube;JKX2VSMj-zs]

That one don't swing — no offense, João — and surely this is the real deal:

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

--David

the real deal in that its from the original 1959 movie where it was written for, but without the sax, it doesn't do it for me...while searching for covers with a sax, i found a few that were ok (including getz), but none that met the arrangement of the first video imho. HOWEVER, since i was searching i came across many other great songs that i have downloaded...this one song took me on a nice tour.

here's a couple new favorites i discovered today:

I case someone missed it, the answer to the thread question is on the page linked in the second post,

The latest issue of Japanese magazine for professional recording engineers, "PROSOUND"

Stereo Sound STORE / PROSOUND 2015

includes a DVD that contains six audio source files in six different formats, PCM 48kHz/16bit, 96kHz/24bit, 192kHz/24bit, 384kHz/32bit(float), DSD 5.6MHz and DSD 11.2MHz for a single play of "Orfeu Negro" by a Japanese trio, sax.: Y. Tomakomachi, piano: M. Ishizuka & Percussion: S. Ishikawa.

A recording engineer is Mr. H. Takada of Victor Entertainment, a chairman of technical committee of Japan Association of Professional Recording Studios (JAPRS). Those files were prepared by capturing an identical analog output signal of API console of CR-506 studio of NHK(Nippon Hoso Kyokai: Japan Broadcasting Corporation) with six DAWs, Avid ProTools for PCM 48kHz, 96kHz, 192 kHz and Merging Pyramix/Horus for 384kHz/32bit, DSD 5.6MHz, DSD 11.2MHz simultaneously.

In the text above, the name of the saxophonist has been misspelled.

A new Google Translation of the original japanese page says:

Recording songs, Luis Bonfa composer, "Black Orpheus" by Yoshihisa Tomabechi arranger. Sachs Yoshihisa Tomabechi, Mayumi piano Ishizuka, live music in the studio by the percussion Satoshi Ishikawa, have been recorded via an analog console.

http://store.stereosound.co.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=2225

More from saxophonist Yoshihisa Tomabechi

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/yoshihisa-tomabechi/id469652597

He is also listed on Discogs, not as a musician but as a recording engineer for some vintage albums by japanese legends Sadao Watanabe and Masabumi Kikuchi.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/3089412-Yoshihisa-Tomabechi?filter_anv=0&subtype=Technical&type=Credits

105_888002418470.jpg

Claude

I case someone missed it, the answer to the thread question is on the page linked in the second post,

The name of the saxophonist "Y. Tomakomachi" may have been butchered by Google Translate. I couldn't find any info about him/her online.

I noticed, and i also noticed, many people didn't (grin). I also searched for him and came up empty... Thanks for sharing the info about the sax player....will definetly research more along these lines.

I listened to about 100 different covers of the song last night, and discovered a couple new artists i like...although this rendition has no sax, its very nice. I then listened to several other pieces by Beegie Adair, and she is quite talented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWxtCGKi42g

the stan getz version has sax but didn't care much for the arrangement.

[snip]

I missed it, so thanks for that. Turns out it is on Tidal (as "Black Orpheus"), so I'm in good shape.

--David

Edit: The version on Tidal seems to be different from the one in the original post, but close enough….

--David

In my book joao swings also when it is slow. What ''the real deal'' means to me is that the groove is right.

Like here;

But does it swing?

I mean compared to the real deal;

[video=youtube;JKX2VSMj-zs]

In my book joao swings also when it is slow. What ''the real deal'' means to me is that the groove is right.

Like here;

I like João as much as the next bossa nova fan, and I agree that he swings on that "Aquarela do Brasil." Still, in the context of "Manha de Carnaval," I'll stick with the assertion that the "real deal" is the original version. It's certainly not my favorite. This one might be:

God bless Eliane, Eddie Gomez, and Jack DeJohnette.

--David

I like João as much as the next bossa nova fan, and I agree that he swings on that "Aquarela do Brasil." Still, in the context of "Manha de Carnaval," I'll stick with the assertion that the "real deal" is the original version. It's certainly not my favorite. This one might be:

--David

Musicians use the real deal expression when talking about playing something the right way.

and in that case your Eliane Elias version above is very much the real deal.

Great album indeed;paulistana.jpg

• 1 month later...

He is also listed on Discogs, not as a musician but as a recording engineer for some vintage albums by japanese legends Sadao Watanabe and Masabumi Kikuchi.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/3089412-Yoshihisa-Tomabechi?filter_anv=0&subtype=Technical&type=Credits

105_888002418470.jpg

Really like the arrangement and would love to have a high-res copy of same! Whoever it was who said that they envy the Japanese jazz scene, +1!

George

Like here;

"Aquarela do Brasil" means "Watercolors of Brazil" and was written by Brazilian composer Ary Barroso around 1940. It was first heard, worldwide, in a Walt Disney 1942 cartoon feature entitled "Saludos Amigos". It is also known simply as "Brazil" and is one of my all-time favorite latin tunes. Another famous Latin tune to make it's appearance in this film is "Bahia".

Gilberto's rendition, above, is especially tasty! Thanks for posting it. Too bad the quality is so poor.

George

--David

I like it! But then I'm a real sucker for good jazz, and I'm especially fond of Brazilian flavored "latin jazz'!

George

Musicians use the real deal expression when talking about playing something the right way.

and in that case your Eliane Elias version above is very much the real deal.

Great album indeed;paulistana.jpg

Wow -- this is awesome.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
I like it! But then I'm a real sucker for good jazz, and I'm especially fond of Brazilian flavored "latin jazz'!

I have an early Lalo Schifrin which is great.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Played as native DSD256 here. Love the sound and this version.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels