IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Not sure if this has already been asked ... will the 1.4 upgrade be available from VortexBox UK at some point or is the upgrade only available from Sonore US ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

32 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

... the micro/ultraRendu will accept Audirvana streams very shortly. ...

That's excellent news for many of us who prefer the Audirvana interface and functions

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

38 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

I had assumed that the 1.4 upgrade was basically the new and ongoing version of the Micro Rendu but apparently not.  It seems it is a way to get your Micro rendu to be upgraded to sound closer to an Ultra Rendu.  For $265 upgrade vs a $235 price difference between micro and ultra i think most will just buy an Ultra Rendu.

Yes, this is the way I see it ... the upgrade offer is just that, for existing owners of the mR (at present) ... if you were new to the market for a Sonore device then it would make total sense to get the Ultra.... unless you could stretch to a Signature ... perhaps.

Not sure if this has been asked ... is there a time limit until when existing owners can upgrade their 1.3 mR to 1.4 ? 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, firedog said:

Is the full microrendu no longer being sold?

Not available on website....

It still appears as part of the microRendu - v1.4 hardware update links ... new & refurbished units.

I appreciate that the 1.4 board update would improve SQ if connecting the mR directly to the USB input of a DAC ... what if, as in my case, the mR is connected to a Schiit EITR converting USB to S/PDIF ? Are there still tangible benefits in doing the upgrade given that the EITR reportedly has a good quality DDC solution ?

Thank-you for your thoughts ... I agree that the microRendu improves on the sound through the EITR versus a direct connection. Not a massive difference but noticeably more intricate detail, nonetheless. It seems 1.4 may be worthwhile and I'll have to plan for an upgrade in due course.

@R1200CL , interesting observation about the ISORegen between mR and the SU-1 ... does anyone else have similar views on placing an IR between an mR and an EITR ?

• 1 month later...

I've been reading about SMPS and their current leakage straying through the transformers of an Ethernet switch and therefore into the music chain. John Swenson has posted some very useful information and tips for overcoming this on another thread.

However, thinking about how this could affect my setup, I was wondering whether the microRendu design actually mitigates any such effects when it receives its input signal from Ethernet before outputting to USB ? 

Thank-you @vortecjr ... I'm clearly jumping the gun with my thinking !

• 2 weeks later...

I typically use reboot after an update ... this seems to work for me although the page doesn't always refresh automatically. If I manually re-enter the GUI, it seems fine.

@lgp Presumably the DAC is fully up and running before you power up the mR ?

@occamsrazor ... 

1. Yes, only one at a time. You would need to go into the mR GUI and change the play mode.

2. Also one at a time ... when you start play on another computer, it completely stops the other one and 'takes over' the stream to the mR. No config changes required.

@occamsrazor ... perhaps you've misunderstood me, or I've not explained it well enough. My No.2 explanation is only when you are using Audirvana (as per your question) and the Play Mode on the mR is set to MPD/DLNA. I don't know what happens under Roon/Airplay or if it works the same way ... I only use Audirvana. You can't have all the modes active ... it can only receive one stream at a time.

The QOBUZ music streaming service recently added DLNA/UPnP as an output device option ... I'm running Qobuz on an iMac 10.13.2. and my mRendu (v1.3 h/w with SonicOrbiter v2.5) appears on the list of possible devices but I'm not getting any sound .... has anyone tried this successfully ?

14 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Thanks all for the comments ... I've sent Qobuz details of my setup with the mR with an Activity Report. They have posted an update recognising that people are experiencing issues with certain devices and a commitment to try to resolve ... if they get a flood of xRendu owners filing a report we may hopefully see an early resolution.