IGNORED

AURALiC Aries and LUMIN app questions...

I just got in my Aries today, got it all hooked up and running. It's running the latest firmware (v2.10), and the latest Lightning DS (v2.3). It's connected to the network via an Asus RT-AC87U on 5G, which is roughly 15 feet away. It runs perfectly, both from my Synology NAS and Tidal.

My issue is, I hate the Lightning DS app. Every time I turn the iPad Mini II on, it's like the app is restarting, and defaults back to a different window. If playing Tidal, I always have to manually go back to "Favorites" and "Albums".

I want to use my LUMIN app to control the Aries which I know is possible as there are tons of people doing just that.

On my NAS, I'm running the latest versions of both MinimServer and BubbleUPnP Server.

I've been using the LUMIN app with my Oppo 105D without a single issue for months now. When I got the Aries installed in the system, I turned off the Oppo and turned on the Aries, going through the entire setup procedure. I looked in BubbleUPnP and it sees the Aries as a Media Renderer, but it won't allow me to set it as an OpenHome renderer. It pops up an error saying that it can not create the renderer and that the UPnP AV can not be controlled.

And now the LUMIN app on my iPad Mini II crashes as soon as it opens. It will not stay open for even a second, yet it was working just fine a few hours ago with the Oppo.

Any ideas/suggestions and/or walk-throughs that can get me going again?

Many thanks in advance!

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

Anybody have anything to say?

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

i have something to say ;)

would reset the Aries to factory settings and delete LightningDS, Bubble and Lumin an install everything again from the ground.

Mostly this will help without knowing the exact cause of error from before.

good luck

tom

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

Already did that. No difference.

Do you have the Aries set to OpenHome mode or UPnP mode? If it's in OpenHome mode you don't need BubbleUPnPServer to create a OpenHome proxy for it.

Try downloading Linn Kazoo and see if that can see the Lightning DS perhaps. It's somewhere to start.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

As far as I know, the Aries is running OpenHome. I know it sounds stupid, but where do you check for that? The directions aren't very forthcoming. I know it's connected to MinimServer right now.

As far as I know, the Aries is running OpenHome. I know it sounds stupid, but where do you check for that? The directions aren't very forthcoming. I know it's connected to MinimServer right now.

OK I now noticed it has changed a little with one of the updates and there is no longer an option to select OpenHome. See the attached screenshot and make sure that UPnP Renderer is unchecked, this will mean you are running OpenHome.

Aries.jpg

The Lumin app used to crash when the Aries queue contained tracks from TIDAL. It may still be an issue. Anticipating a crash, I won't launch Lumin if playing from TIDAL.

The Lumin app has worked fine when playing songs from my library. Seems the Lumin app doesn't know what to make of the TIDAL tracks. Even the Linn Kinsky app on iPhone struggles with TIDAL tracks in the Aries queue. It doesn't crash. The tracks just appear without names in the queue.

Not sure if this is the issue the OP is struggling with. Just thought it worth noting in this thread.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

OK I now noticed it has changed a little with one of the updates and there is no longer an option to select OpenHome. See the attached screenshot and make sure that UPnP Renderer is unchecked, this will mean you are running OpenHome.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22784[/ATTACH]

It's unchecked. I kind of thought that's what it meant.

The Lumin app used to crash when the Aries queue contained tracks from TIDAL. It may still be an issue. Anticipating a crash, I won't launch Lumin if playing from TIDAL.

The Lumin app has worked fine when playing songs from my library. Seems the Lumin app doesn't know what to make of the TIDAL tracks. Even the Linn Kinsky app on iPhone struggles with TIDAL tracks in the Aries queue. It doesn't crash. The tracks just appear without names in the queue.

Not sure if this is the issue the OP is struggling with. Just thought it worth noting in this thread.

You're absolutely right! It's Tidal that crashes it.

I just tested it. In Lightning DS, I stopped Tidal, went to my NAS and selected an album from that and hit play. I then closed out Lightning and opened up LUMIN. Works like a charm! Stops, starts, skips, fast-forwards, etc, etc. Turn repeat and shuffle on and off. All works perfectly as with the Oppo.

One tab I notice missing in LUMIN is the Tidal tab. So apparently, AURALiC doesn't have Tidal set up to work with the LUMIN app. I certainly hope they do at some point, because I really prefer LUMIN over Lightning DS.

Thanks guys for the help, and thanks kennyb123​ for mentioning your experiences with LUMIN crashing.

One tab I notice missing in LUMIN is the Tidal tab. So apparently, AURALiC doesn't have Tidal set up to work with the LUMIN app. I certainly hope they do at some point, because I really prefer LUMIN over Lightning DS.

Thanks guys for the help, and thanks kennyb123​ for mentioning your experiences with LUMIN crashing.

I'm glad I was able to help.

I also prefer the Lumin app because it comes back to the foreground quickly to exactly where I left it.

The real solution isn't for Auralic to get the Aries to play nice with the Lumin app. They should get LDS to come back to the foreground properly. Hopefully it won't take long for their developers to figure out what their competitors have already figured out.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I also prefer the Lumin app because it comes back to the foreground quickly to exactly where I left it.

This and my preference for the dark background is why I use the Lumin app. As you say - hopefully Auralic will get there with their ongoing development of the Lightning app.

Good to see the OP got his answer, I was no help because I don't use Tidal :)

The real solution isn't for Auralic to get the Aries to play nice with the Lumin app. They should get LDS to come back to the foreground properly. Hopefully it won't take long for their developers to figure out what their competitors have already figured out.

I just prefer the look, feel and operation of LUMIN so much better than LDS. <--- I first typed LSD... LOL

This and my preference for the dark background is why I use the Lumin app. As you say - hopefully Auralic will get there with their ongoing development of the Lightning app.

Good to see the OP got his answer, I was no help because I don't use Tidal :)

You were also a good help. You got me to confirm that I had things set the right way within LDS. I too prefer the dark setting on LUMIN over the drab white of LDS.

Great news: the Lumin app now runs on the iPhone

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22784[/ATTACH]

Yes, there is an option. Lightning Device is Auralic's name for OpenHome. You have either that checked, meaning the Mini is running in OpenHome mode, or you have UPnP renderer checked, which puts the Mini in UPnP mode.

TIDAL needs integration in the OpenHome renderer to work with Lumin (and other OH control points supporting TIDAL such as Linn Kazoo).

If instead the OP creates an OH renderer from the Auralic (configured as a regular UPnP AV renderer) with BubbleUPnP Server, it will work with Lumin for TIDAL control as BubbleUPnP Server has TIDAL support in its OH implementation.

TIDAL needs integration in the OpenHome renderer to work with Lumin (and other OH control points supporting TIDAL such as Linn Kazoo).

If instead the OP creates an OH renderer from the Auralic (configured as a regular UPnP AV renderer) with BubbleUPnP Server, it will work with Lumin for TIDAL control as BubbleUPnP Server has TIDAL support in its OH implementation.

Well, just for the heck of it, I tried doing just this. It didn't work. No Tidal and kept crashing as soon as it opened. Oh well, I guess I'm going to have to learn to like LDS until something changes down the road.

I don't care too much. I care a lot more that the Aries works flawlessly and sounds great as well. From what I have heard so far, the combination with the Aries and built-in DAC in the Parasound P5, it sounds considerably better than the Oppo 105D. I thought I was going to have to go hunting for an outboard DAC eventually, but I'm not too sure about that now. Although, I do want to change from the Wireworld Toslink to a Wireworld coax. Again, no big hurry.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to use the Lumin app in my setup (Synology NAS, ethernet to Oppo 105). I have minimserver installed. The lumin app keeps telling me 'no lumin selected' , which makes sense since I don't have a Lumin, but that won't allow me to go further and select as track for playback. What am I missing or doing wrong?

Pvanosta

A bit of advice - do some reasearch on OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) supporting renderers (eg the Lumin streamers) vs standard UPnP supporting renderers (eg your Oppo). You don't have to look too far, eg Bubbleguuum's post #17 just above gives you a solution to allow you to use OpenHome controller apps, eg the Lumin app, with standard UPnP streamers. Incidentally, Bubbleguuum is the developer of the BubbleUPnP Server helper application, also known for producing the excellent & similarly named (but not to be confused with) BubbleUPnP Android app.

You can get more detail about using BubbleUPnP Server to create an OpenHome renderer, allowing you to use your Oppo with the Lumin app, here:

http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/#media_renderers_configuration

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

If it's any consolation, I too have the same issue in the Lumin app where it crashes at the start... No Tidal implementation here either. Have updated all units to latest firmware/versions. Mini does not want to play with Lumin here...
Just in case there are other Aries owners out there hoping to use it with the Lumin app for TIDAL - this is currently not possible.

OpenHome has support for Streaming Services, such as TIDAL & Qobuz (from the OpenHome website):

OhMediaDevelopers - OpenHome

The Aries's OpenHome support does not extend to using OpenHome's Streaming Services. Instead the Aries uses it's own proprietary non-OpenHome method for accessing TIDAL. The Aries and the Lumin app (which does support OpenHome Streaming Services) are therefore incompatible for TIDAL. This explains the crash when the Lumin app accesses an Aries playlist containing incompatible non-OpenHome TIDAL links previously created by the Aries's own Lightning DS app.

Unfortunately, putting the Aries in standard UPnP mode and using the BubbleUPnP Server helper application to provide OpenHome emulation, mentioned in post #17 above, won't work either. This is because the Aries's standard UPnP mode is currently broken and not likely to be fixed in the near future. See this post (UPnP section):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-lightning-ds-app-software-impressions-and-information-21262/index68.html#post500395

and response:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-lightning-ds-app-software-impressions-and-information-21262/index68.html#post500467

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox