IGNORED

Should I use SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter for CD ROM as well?

trcns

It can't affect sound quality. All dacs support usb asynchrone data transfer. Usb is a protocol that cannot trasfer data wrong, the bits are bits. The power supply "problem" is for analogical devices, dac, amplifiers NOT computer . I tried everything, linear psu, usb filters, sata filters and so on and guess what? No differences. People just can't accept that it is possible that thay have Wasted money, i have Wasted a lot of money because I wanted to try despite my Computer Engineering studies were telling me in my head "wtf are you doing? Don't waste your money, you know how a computer works ". Placebo and psychoacoustic, what a terrible things!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

It can't affect sound quality. All dacs support usb asynchrone data transfer. Usb is a protocol that cannot trasfer data wrong, the bits are bits. The power supply "problem" is for analogical devices, dac, amplifiers NOT computer . I tried everything, linear psu, usb filters, sata filters and so on and guess what? No differences. People just can't accept that it is possible that thay have Wasted money, i have Wasted a lot of money because I wanted to try despite my Computer Engineering studies were telling me in my head "wtf are you doing? Don't waste your money, you know how a computer works ". Placebo and psychoacoustic, what a terrible things!

So why post here in CA? I don't go to a church and praise a different religion. There are other forums for you that think similar. This is not one of them. Or at least start your own thread. No need to shit in this one.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

It can't affect sound quality. All dacs support usb asynchrone data transfer. Usb is a protocol that cannot trasfer data wrong, the bits are bits....

You might want to spend a bit of time either reading up on the experiences of many using USB cleaners like USB-SPDIF converters, Regen, IFI, RUR, etc.

Better yet buy a used Regen and see how good this asynch USB connection is for audio. (Tongue firmly in cheek)

You do realize that there is no error correction, package resend in USB audio.

Cheers

Why did you become a member of a Computer forum with Audiophile in it's name ?

Are you on an evangelical mission to try and save us from ourselves ?

Ever considered the possibility that you are simply unable to hear the things that so many members report ?

Perhaps Hydrogen Audio may appreciate you more ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Why did you become a member of a Computer forum with Audiophile in it's name ?

Are you on an evangelical mission to try and save us from ourselves ?

Ever considered the possibility that you are simply unable to hear the things that so many members report ?

Perhaps Hydrogen Audio may appreciate you more ?

Maybe because CA is not only "putting caps everywhere and improving the sound in that way "? Maybe because there a lot of interesting thread about software and hardware (not only putting caps on fan alimentation)?

I just shared my experience after spending a lot of money, no evangelical mission. And when I can hear any little sound change in my hifi setup, I'm not 60yrs old that Can only hear 20-14k khZ.

Maybe the only thing that I would try is that regen usb, because it is not about filtering the usb alimentation (ps if i buy a 1000/2000/5000€ DAC i PRETEND that by changing the usb alimentation won't affect the sound quality, this would be permissible in cheap dac).

Although the Regen description tell me really nothing, no technical details just words written just to sell the product.

The only thing that I'm SURE is that putting capacitors everywhere in a compulsive way won't change the sound quality . (And I tried)

I am going via another SSD route, my goal is to get the fastest connection between the CPU and the SSD, hence the PCIe SSD M.2 with the Lycome PCI adapter. After all the dedicated SSD power talk, I needed to explore if I could do the same also, any one knows about such adapter that can accept external 12V supply?

Thanks

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

I am going via another SSD route, my goal is to get the fastest connection between the CPU and the SSD, hence the PCIe SSD M.2 with the Lycome PCI adapter. After all the dedicated SSD power talk, I needed to explore if I could do the same also, any one knows about such adapter that can accept external 12V supply?

Thanks

Sounds interesting, Zerung. If there was only a way to power separately outside the MOBO. I suppose you could run a soft PCIe riser that you could cut into the power leads and hook up separately. Have heard of this. Looks like you only need 3.3V to replace? Could use a battery for that?

Here on Amazon

CONS: For all the trouble what are you gaining? Dependent on the motherboard you're probably not going to get the fantastic speeds of a built in fast M2 slot.

From what I've read there is still a lot of issues with the bios on motherboards in using this drive as an OS one.

SSD is probably more than adequate at this point. Until M2 has aged in versatility and abilities.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I should have also added as a con on M2.

Memory styxs are still pricy in relative terms to SSD.

Dependent on the motherboard you're probably not going to get the fantastic speeds of a built in fast M2 slot.

This is not correct, after reading more. If you have the proper slot and not sharing the PCIe lane. You can get just as fast a speed as a built in slot.

This is not correct, after reading more. If you have the proper slot and not sharing the PCIe lane. You can get just as fast a speed as a built in slot.

You may achieve much faster speeds for general computing tasks, video editing etc. but the fact that it uses noisy motherboard power would rule it out for Audio storage use for me. I am not the only one to report higher SQ when also using cleaner power for the music storage SSD.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Sounds interesting, Zerung. If there was only a way to power separately outside the MOBO. I suppose you could run a soft PCIe riser that you could cut into the power leads and hook up separately. Have heard of this. Looks like you only need 3.3V to replace? Could use a battery for that?

Here on Amazon

CONS: For all the trouble what are you gaining? Dependent on the motherboard you're probably not going to get the fantastic speeds of a built in fast M2 slot.

From what I've read there is still a lot of issues with the bios on motherboards in using this drive as an OS one.

SSD is probably more than adequate at this point. Until M2 has aged in versatility and abilities.

You may achieve much faster speeds for general computing tasks, video editing etc. but the fact that it uses noisy motherboard power would rule it out for Audio storage use for me. I am not the only one to report higher SQ when also using cleaner power for the music storage SSD.

Agree

Any body using JCat USB Card?

I am using JCat sub card, which has an option to output 5v as filtered and unfiltered for my Bell Canto U Link (sub to digital converter), I tried both, but for a very short time and I could not figure out a difference in the sound quality, since I am using LPSU, what is the best option or best practice, should I use filtered option or unfiltered? Is there a disadvantage of using filtered over the unfiltered. My concept is that even it is LPSU, filter will not harm it and if some other component introduced a noise in it, filter will clean it, please advise?

Rafi

I've tried many filters which deal with signal path or power line paths. All of those things have at least one side effect to SQ. (narrower soundstage and lack of Airy and ambience as everyone knew about that.

I read this comment in another blog and wondering how true it is?

Rafi

I've tried many filters which deal with signal path or power line paths. All of those things have at least one side effect to SQ. (narrower soundstage and lack of Airy and ambience as everyone knew about that.

I read this comment in another blog and wondering how true it is?

The problem with the average power filter, such as the SOtM SATA Filter, is that it needs to use surface mount components in order to reduce it's physical size. The inductors are of necessity, small in size ,and usually have more resistance than desirable due to the much finer gauge of wire needed . The capacitors at the output, being surface mount types are limited in the amount of capacitance that can be used. This results in a far less than very low and flat impedance right across the audible bandwidth and higher. An electronic filter on the other hand , such as a shunt regulator can have the equivalent capacitance of as high a value as 1 Farad.

The problem with most Series and Shunt Regulators is that almost all have too high a voltage drop across them unless you are converting , for example, an internal +12V supply rail to a cleaner +5V supply rail.

The John Linsley Hood designed PSU add-on that I use, provided that it has suitable protection from the huge inrush currents possible at start up in a normal PC, has no voltage drop through it.

The use of a good shunt regulator,(or a series regulator when converting from +12V to +5V ) actually results in an improvement in soundstage, with more "air", and improved ambience due to lower noise and a lower output impedance to well past the audible bandwidth .(>300kHz typically)

Alex